Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Labradoodle, Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Spoodle, Yorkiepoo

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Labradoodle, Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Spoodle, Yorkiepoo

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    BigDogLover

Thankx for the link Kiz, that explained a lot, why do so many experts claim that the planned crossing of two breeds is a good thing when it isnt?

Still a little confused on this one…bear with me….is it proven that the resulting puppies have more inherited problems or is it an opinion, or is it just what happens when they are bred irresponsibly?

Anonymous

when you cross something like the lab – which has a high rate of hd if im correct? then you are gonna get problems – if you cross it with a breed that also has problems and the breeder is nto a good one – its asking for trouble – and unsuspecting people are buying these pups and its not fair –  >:(

BigDogLover

No, its not fair  🙁

kizkiznobite

if you want to get into the heavy stuff there is something call hybrid vigour – as in mules, ass’s etc. but… true hybrids are sterile so the effects are for the one generation only – because of the ability to mate within the group canines are not so the genetic crossings that produce vigour in the first generation become weak with the following generations unless constantly bred back in but the the genetic defects remain sub – active and recessive genes may actually become linked in similar genetic codes – like asthma and/or eczema in humans.
    with ped breeders that follow the codes of practice – the lines and thier pros/cons are well known along with the knowledge of what their breed is prone to be carrying – if it is recessive genetically etc.

BigDogLover

I get it now, thnx again Kiz  😀

Anonymous

Let’s take the poodle I love them easy to train clown of a dog the standards at least, but they are a dog with many health problems responsible breeders are working on the breeds many problems, including taking part in the beardies Beacon Health Study in the USA as both breeds suffer from Addisons.

Then we have the Lab every ones friend major problems as they are a popular house pet (doG now’s why) and have been bred to death.

look on this board for all the things these two breeds suffer from even in the hands of KC breeders

Why would anyone want to take two breeds that suffer many health problems both breeds have many eye problems elbows and hips to name but a few and cross them the poodle people would run a mile so would the lab people BUT not the pet market so what is happening is pet (no health check) poodles are being breed with pet lab’s (no health check) and they are crossing them and making huge amounts of money, as a groomer I am now seeing these poor dogs as Rough said the other day they are in her local rescue centre, I am clipping more and more and I am seeing dogs with bad eyes and terrible hips I have one client that has just had hip replacement on a 16 mth old labrawhatit.

All the ones I have seen and groomed have been big powerful dogs all have had lovely temperments I have had one sent up from the vets to be clipped as it was stressed by the huge coat it had, and lets not forget I live in a sleepy backwater in Dorset.

if a breeder makes a new breed ie the tailess boxer the very best of the breed both boxers and corgi’s were used no breeder would want to start with less than perfect it would be a waste of time and money if the breeder of the tailess (sorry can’t remember names) had bred a boxer without a tail but it was crippled with bad hips

[quote author=BigDogLover link=topic=214.msg43482#msg43482 date=1149342519]
    Thankx for the link Kiz, that explained a lot, why do so many experts claim that the planned crossing of two breeds is a good thing when it isnt?

Still a little confused on this one…bear with me….is it proven that the resulting puppies have more inherited problems or is it an opinion, or is it just what happens when they are bred irresponsibly?
    [/quote]

BigDogLover

Probably me being thick but I still dont understand why Guide dogs for the blind and the hearing dogs organisations actively breed crosses like the Labradoodle, Cockerpoo, and Golden Lab if these health problems are inevitable.
    Given the gentic information provided by Kiz, is the risk the same with crossing dogs from sound lines? If it is then those organisations which I believed to be knowledgeable and experiencedare acting wholly irresponsibly. They are providing their clients with unhealthy dogs.

Sorry to keep going on but its making my brain hurt to think that these people are doing this.

Anonymous

Hi,

As far as I know Hearing dogs do not breed any of “their own” dogs.  They source from rescue centres, or donated litters.

Claire x

BigDogLover

Sorry Claire, thats my bad for putting it wrong. I meant that the guide dog people breed them but the other organisations like Hearing dogs and Dogs for Disabled use them.

Anonymous

Guide Dog are a law unto themselves 😉 thats another story but lets put it this way how many have they used ie given to a blind person? as far as I know they have never had a Cockerpoo as they are too small you need a dog of good size.

They have tried all sorts of breeds including beardies but it’s your money they are wasting and boy do they like wasting it
    Val

[quote author=BigDogLover link=topic=214.msg43870#msg43870 date=1149440167]
    Probably me being thick but I still dont understand why Guide dogs for the blind and the hearing dogs organisations actively breed crosses like the Labradoodle, Cockerpoo, and Golden Lab if these health problems are inevitable.
    Given the gentic information provided by Kiz, is the risk the same with crossing dogs from sound lines? If it is then those organisations which I believed to be knowledgeable and experiencedare acting wholly irresponsibly. They are providing their clients with unhealthy dogs.

Sorry to keep going on but its making my brain hurt to think that these people are doing this.
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

the dogs that go to folk are generally first generation crosses and are neutered – they cross breed for temperament from generally healthy stock

Anonymous

Just a couple of posts from another board by someone who actually works at the Guide Dog breeding centre.  🙂

Guide Dogs have never bred labradoodles. Guide Dogs have used labradoodles (bred by someone else) but never bred them.

and

Guide Dogs for the Blind Association is only in this country. (also with a small centre in Belfast)
    But there are lots of similar organisations all over the world. GDBA have close connections with some of the other organisations. Sharing expertise in both breeding & training. I know we are one of the biggest ones & definately breed more dogs than any of the others.
    Poodles – yes they have been used before, but a long time ago, as for the success? I’d have to look that up.
    I do know that some of the labradoodles were successful Guide Dogs.

It is worth noting that the labradoodles were used many years ago & the breeding programme (& training too) has moved on since then.

I’m sure that if they had fulfilled their promise, then they would still be using them and probably would be breeding them for themselves.

Anonymous

Hi,

I wasnt aware that HD used *any* dogs bred by guide dogs – hearing dogs are (usually) but not always tiny little critters  usually donated or from rescue centres so I would think it unlikely unless GD are breeding specifically for HD ?  The criteria are completely different 🙂

I dont know about DDA i would think they are more likely than HD to take pups as they use labs too.  Maybe they take ones the GD dont have time to train … ?

Claire x

kizkiznobite

i know that dogs for the disabled sometimes take failed guide dogs – dogs for the disabled clicker train 🙂

Anonymous

canine partners for independence use labradoodle – i had the joy of clipping off one matted one for them!! (we normally groom there dogs for nothing!!)  whether they actually breed them themselves im not sure – i have a feeling the might? ???

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime