Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Labrador colours!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Labrador colours!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

yep – choc is just a dilute black – to F3 it then choc to choc – crazy but there you go  ::)

Diesel73

[quote author=rooooooooby link=topic=9654.msg179152#msg179152 date=1192358547]
    do they have poor bone mass from lack of hormone interaction during growth period?

claire x
    [/quote]
    Can’t tell what it is, or how it has come to how they look now. Don’t know because i do not know how ‘labradorcorrect’ their parents were, so don’t know if they look the way the look due to genetics or due to the castration. But their shapes are uhm… wrong. The boy is slim build. The girl very heavy with curly hair on her back. She did not have that as a pup. But she was castrated…. if i recall correctly on the age of between 3 and 4 months old. The boy not much later. On the other hand, both pups come from different breeders, but both breeders are as Val described; breeders that only for colour. Their colour defere too. 1 is darker than the other.

Anonymous

I vote for a black lab puppy  ;D ;D

Anonymous

oh i wonder why  😀

matilda

I know this is going back a bit, but I have only just joined and was fascinated to read the thread on chocolate (liver) labradors. I actually show and breed choc/liver labs and would like to mention a few things to clear up some confusion I have read.
    First – the chocolate/liver colour comes from the first labradors and was part of the original St James dog which was bred into the labrador of today. Second – todays choc/liver come from American Fiedl Trial lines and nearly all chocs come down from Buccleigh Avon who was born in 1885. Avon came from imported St. John’s dogs of Newfoundland to the third Earl of Malmsbury.  Avon was the son of Malmsbury Tramp and Malmsbury Juno. The chocolate gene has carried through from Avon to some of our current American National Field Champion lines.  So I can happily report that it isn’t a colour that ‘just appeared’
    Third – I understand that up until the late 1950’s most choc labs were culled as the colour was not seen as ‘correct’ but one breeder made them a ‘rare’ colour and as such choc/liver labs became status dogs with status owners. This led to indescriminate breeding, wrong owners etc etc etc So labs bred without any thought of health, construction, temperament flooded the market. This is where a reputation for bad chocs totally different from the other colours came from.
    I can categorically say that the temperament/construction/trainability etc has absolutely no bearing on colour. Ii is the breeding that is crucial and there are a number of excellent labrador breeders who breed choc labs who can be wonderful pets, excellent workers and hold their own in the show ring. Please don’t tar all choc labs with the ‘awful’ dog brush.
    Regarding the appearance of white marks on any lab – a small white mark on the chest is acceptable, its i the breed standard, any other white marks are not acceptable.
    Again, sorry to pick up this thread so much later but I have only just joined and wanted to have my say!

hi and welcome matilda thanks for your information, it was a facinating read as i didn’t see the first time around  :happy:

kizkiznobite

errmm…colour? temperament? no bearing?…errrm ok

hi and welcome  🙂

any thoughts on ‘drive’?

Anonymous

Hi,

I think that tempraments “in general” do seem to vary with colour but whether this is more down to the genetics of the diluted dogs and less careful breeding / desire as fashion not as a obedient pet I wouldnt like to say 😉  Also I would hazard a guess that there arent many of the “better bred” liver dogs out there?

and … i still wanna know about the dog in my road that you called orange bev !!  and i mean he is like marmalade orange deffo not liver or yellow, solid coat.

Claire x

Anonymous

apparently we missed “white” and “champagne” ….  :surprise:

http://www.damascus-way-labradors.com/white_labrador_retriever_puppies_for_sale.htm

Anonymous

aha – orange is a shade of yellow along with “fox red” 🙂

apparently we also missed “cream” … dont give u much hope if ppl dunno the colour they breed …

….. oooh actually this website is really interesting

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/foxred.htm

matilda

kizkiznobite – tried to get a licence for my girls to drive, no go, not even provisional heheh! :tease:
    It seems there are loads of colours that people think refer to labs – but there really are only three acceptable colours: Yellow, Black and Chocolate (also known as Liver). any other colours are wrong – especially the ones you see when advertised as ‘Golden’ – all the other colours really annoy me!!! :nono: and as for the latest fad of crossbreeds with no health tests, false claims of non-moulting being sold for exorbitant amounts – probably best not to go there!!!!

Anonymous

did you know – the original correct term was “gold” but the KC didnt think “gold” was a real proper colour so it got changed to yellow.  its all in that website i said was interesting 🙂

i didnt know – it bugs me when ppl say golden labrador !!

claire x

kizkiznobite

kizkiznobite – tried to get a licence for my girls to drive, no go, not even provisional heheh!

uhuh…mmmm  🙂

so drive?  ..and your girlies?…or if they just show?  then maybe low drive?  or no drive? or stunted instincts? or other behavioural stuff kicks in or good drive and…or ?…just teasing …. 😉

lad colour genetics…….the easiest in the world…. 🙂 for me at any rate…a good start for the novice i always say…

you say you breed…do you breed choc to choc?

*Nick*

“I’m an excellent driver”

matilda

To be serious for a sec ….kizkiznobite … yes, I show my girls and, sadly do not have time to work them but have done a couple of show/working days and they have showed good instincts and DRIVE!!!!!
    To answer your question re breeding, I normally breed choc to choc but have also bred choc to black (carrying choc). Am very lucky as all pups have been really dark chocs with excellent ‘burnt sugar’ dark eyes. I sell my pups at the average pup price for a lab with hip,elbow,eye & Optigen tests (£600) and NEVER charge different prices for colour or sex – yet another thing that gets my goat! I also put breeding restrictions on my pups which will only be lifted if ALL tests are done and are acceptable. To be honest, most pet people do not have the experience to breed and there are already too many badly bred labs out there!
    I take it you work yours – what colour works best for you????

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime