Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

letting off the lead

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

STOP the tugging let her self correct!!

Anonymous

A few tugs by molly not me, when she tugged I stopped and she stopped tugging and stood still. Was this right to do?

kizkiznobite

yeah fine ;D thought you meant you tugged her – sorry

Anonymous

I should have put it better, no problem ;D

Anonymous

Just a little update to say that the clicker training is going so well. Molly is really understanding what she has to do to hear that noise and get that treat. She hardly tugs the lead anymore which is so good especially in this weather where its raining as she usually drags us through the mud >:D
    She has also got alot better when people stop to stroke her. When she stands she is as tall as most and taller than others so getting her to stay off of people is a must. This happened on this evenings walk, I got up one path of the park and saw a lovely little old lady walking towards me underneath an umbrella (as it was raining), I stopped so she could walk past and so did Molly she sat down and I clicked and rewarded. She then spotted the lady and lept into the air. Usually only two things can happen when this occurs, either they give you a really dirty look and you have to beg apology, or they lap it up and tell you their doggie stories. Luckly for me she lapped it up. After about 30 mins of listening to this ladies stories (in the pouring rain) she asked if I was going to breed her? I then began to list all the reasons why I shouldn’t breed her and how I had found this forum and had some very good advice. She looked quite shocked when I told her all the things that could go wrong but at least the information I got from here was past on and used to educate another on bad breeding. ;D
    Also while talking my son  >:D sneakly took the treats from my pockets and fed them all to molly, of course she loved him for it, and thats proberly why she was so quiet!!!!!! 😀 😀

kizkiznobite

when you outside and you see someone coming – before she notices- throw treats on the ground if grass or clean, if it not have a munchable size one in the hand that you can keep a grip on, click as she eats them/munches out of hand –  saying ‘4 paws’ keep it up repeating the click and munch while the other person passes then give her a bingo reward – do this with everyone – then 3 out 4 folk – then 2 out 4 etc – when someone comes to fuss her – say the ‘4 paws’ cue – reward her if 4 feet stay on the ground then allow the fuss – if she does not keep the feet on the ground – before she makes contact – firm voice ‘this way’ and turn and walk (you’ll have to accept that some folk think this might be rude – just yell over the shoulder ‘training’ ) the jumping up is getting rewarded by the contact/attention it earns her – remove that reward and give her another for staying on the ground – she’ll get the message – hope this makes sense 🙂

Anonymous

This makes alot of sense and will put this into action asap. So my son was along the right line by giving her the treats while I spoke, not a devil afterall!!! ;D

puppyblues

kiz can you e-mail me the clicker terms also please. I am very rusty. Do you have anything else on training??
    Thank you Jo

kizkiznobite

what else are you looking for?

Anonymous

[quote author=parker link=topic=2403.msg21657#msg21657 date=1139929362]
    Thanks will look for that whistle. Am I being a pain but I am abit confused, are you saying use both a clicker and a whistle or just one or the other. I really appreact your help, thank you. People get quite weary of her when shes walking around the park because she comes as aggressive which shes not. I thought it was wrong to learn her too early, but now wish I had.
    [/quote]you could try taking your dog out with dog that will come to whistle blow it and when the other comes back make lots of fuss of it plus a treat becase one dog will teach another  i carry a whistle becase when we are out and it is windy the dog can hear it better and if you are in a bad mood it sounds the same to rhe dog  good luck  from farrokh a much loved dobermann

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime