Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Little Black Dog Book

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Little Black Dog Book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Prem2Pram

In junes issue of Dogs Today there was a free supplement “Little Black Dog Book”

It has a section on hereditary health problems for numerous breeds it’s a valuable resource for puppy buyers and it’s easy to look up average hip scores etc. ok the hereditary health problems section isn’t complete but it’s a very good start.

The booklet also has section on breed advice, DNA screening, eye conditions, deafness, syringomyelia as well as rescue contacts, all in all a very useful little book and one that should be given to anyone looking for a dog or puppy.

*Nat*

I got that – really interesting little book  🙂

Prem2Pram

Balmy then why didn’t you share this information, such finds should be shouted from the roof tops, it might only be a small step in the right direction but every little step helps  ;D

Anonymous

I’ll smack her wrist  ;D

Anonymous

i want it now  ;D

but i refuse to pay that much for a magazine  >:(

Prem2Pram

also in the book is an advert for a Doggie Bag, although at £26.99 I think I’d find sooner buy a case to take to the shows to keep for all grooming, treats etc in, however for those interested in seeing this doggie bag here’s a couple of links.

http://www.paws4designs.co.uk/extras.php
    http://www.paws4designs.co.uk/features.php

Teamblackandwhite I think the KC should produce such a book and give it away to vets, pet shops etc it really is a very useful book indeed although it doesn’t go far enough but any step in the right direction has to be a good thing.

*Nat*

Sorry  :-[

Prem2Pram

You’re forgiven just try and remember the next time you come across a little gem share  😀

*Lassie*

[quote author=teamblackandwhite link=topic=8503.msg151878#msg151878 date=1182156082]
    i want it now  ;D

but i refuse to pay that much for a magazine  >:(
    [/quote]

You want the supplement “Little Black Dog Book” pm me your address and I.ll send it to you

I have it – and I didnt pay for mine  ;D

Is very interesting, its floating around my room somewhere incase I need to read it again  ;D

Bevers2406

Glad the Little Black Dog Book is of use – but MinPin you say the hered section isn’t complete, can you email what’s missing for when we update it? We tried to get it as comprehensive as possible – but if we’ve missed anything we’d love to know. We’re also updating the info on website (dialadog.co.uk) so if you spot any holes we can instantly change that. It’s also key we get that right as we offer free ads to breeders who do the tests on our list – and if the list is wrong…!

And if anyone wants to buy the booklet separately they’re £2.50 inc p & p tel 01276 858880. (And if you find the £3.50 mag cover price too steep, if you take out a sub its very much cheaper and you can now do it in three month slugs by standing order – only £7 for three copies I think (I’m at home and was always rubbish at the money side of things so I might have got that slightly out, but it’s near £7).)

Cheers
    Beverley

Mudgie

The magazine is really good this month – and I read with interest the “real” story on Wag and Bones – very interesting if a little disappointing that there is no Show this year.

Hope your health is improving Beverly. 

Prem2Pram

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=8503.msg152172#msg152172 date=1182241420]
    Glad the Little Black Dog Book is of use – but MinPin you say the hered section isn’t complete, can you email what’s missing for when we update it? We tried to get it as comprehensive as possible – but if we’ve missed anything we’d love to know. We’re also updating the info on website (dialadog.co.uk) so if you spot any holes we can instantly change that. It’s also key we get that right as we offer free ads to breeders who do the tests on our list – and if the list is wrong…!

Cheers
    Beverley
    [/quote]

Miniature Pinscher – There is no mention of  Patellar luxation which is usually an inherited defect.
    Addison’s disease (Hypoadrenocorticism) – There may be a genetic predisposition in several breeds of dogs.
    Legg Perthe’s disease – The disease occurs most often in miniature and toy breed dogs between the ages of four months and one year.

The Miniature Pinscher Club has a code of ethics and the above are required to be checked for clearance before a dog or bitch are bred from.

There is no mention of Hypothyroidism in Dobermans, I know it’s not a hereditary disease  but it still deserves a mention.

I’m sure others will mention anything else they consider warrants a mention

Edited to add further information

Mudgie

I havent thoroughly read it and dont have it to hand.  But dont recall seeing any reference to gastric torsion or bloat in deep chested breeds – did I miss that  ???

Prem2Pram

Mudgie, I don’t recall seeing that mentioned either, I’ll go and take another look

also there’s no mentin of the Miniature Pinscher Rescue their details can also be found on the club website.

oh yes and Canine Entropion which is the turning inward of the eyelid and eyelashes towards they eye. The eyelashes rub against the cornea and cause a mucous discharge. It is the most common congenital defect of the eyelids and requires surgery to correct the problem. It can also because by an injury or a persistent eyelid infection.

I do know it has shown up in the Miniature Pinscher but not sure which other breeds are prone to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime