Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Little Black Dog Book

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Little Black Dog Book

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

I noticed it was an independent rescue – Jean Fairlie – rather than Weimaraner Club rescue  ???  However it has to be said Jean would be my first choice too – and you know how I like to do my research  ;D

Prem2Pram

Mudgie if everything that we felt should be in this little book was included I don’t think they could carry on calling it the little black book as I think it would end up rather chunky *LOL

*Nat*

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=8503.msg152174#msg152174 date=1182243512]
    The magazine is really good this month – and I read with interest the “real” story on Wag and Bones – very interesting if a little disappointing that there is no Show this year.

Hope your health is improving Beverly. 
    [/quote]

I agree Mudgie – good article on Wag and Bone Show – some great pics from previous years – shame it’s not going ahead, was so looking forward to it!!!  🙁

Bevers2406

Feedback is very useful for us – it really is. If anyone/anything needs to be added, do let us know. The book was concentrating on preventable stuff – ie anything with a test. However, on the web we try to list more stuff – but it’s hard to know where to draw the line. For eg most deep-chested dogs seem prone to bloat.

Dialadog is meant to be owned, used and policed by the dog community, we need feedback to keep the best and most up to date contacts on there to really help people get the best advice. We need people to read all the litter ads too so we are sure to hear back if someone is claiming to test who isn’t… seems to work pretty well – you’d have to be nuts to risk making a false claim.

Please do check out our breed and advisors and if anyone is interested in becoming one or getting someone on the breed club/rescue listed email julia@dogstodaymagazine.co.uk to be sent an application form. Everyone listed is a volunteer but they make such a difference – and they help steer people away from those who may only ask ‘how do you want to pay?’.

I’m not sure why patella luxation fell off the Min Pin in the chart – on our web list its down as slipping patella. We’ll have a look what happened there!

I don’t think we listed Addisions for any breed in the book as there’s quite a debate as to how hereditable it is, and as there’s no test for it may just be confusing to pet people. Some breeds do seem much more prone – I agree. When we do the in depth Fido Fact on a breed we list everything known to have gone wrong with it – Malcolm Willis does that bit, but for our free listing breeders criteria we generally stick to – “is there a test? – then let’s list it.” Will pass on your email to Julia so she can double check the others mentioned on your list, thank you. Sometimes breed clubs tell us to take stuff off and we have to have a little debate about whether they should be on or off. Other times something will have emerged and if it doesn’t have a mainstream testing scheme it can be missed – heart testing falls into that catergory. Almost everything seems to be unofficial!

Thanks for the feedback, it was a huge job collating the Little Black Book – if anyone feeds James Wellbeloved can you tell them how great they were for sponsoring it? I don’t think they realise how useful its going to be yet.

Cheers
    Beverley

Mudgie

Good to see you have a decent dog food producer sponsoring you too  😉

If you need any “mystery shoppers” Beverly there are a few on here that would be glad to help – myself for sure  😉

Anonymous

[quote author=Bevers2406 link=topic=8503.msg152172#msg152172 date=1182241420]

And if anyone wants to buy the booklet separately they’re £2.50 inc p & p tel 01276 858880. (And if you find the £3.50 mag cover price too steep, if you take out a sub its very much cheaper and you can now do it in three month slugs by standing order – only £7 for three copies I think (I’m at home and was always rubbish at the money side of things so I might have got that slightly out, but it’s near £7).)

[/quote]

no offence meant here but i wouldnt pay even half that as i think the mag is c**p

Prem2Pram

[quote author=teamblackandwhite link=topic=8503.msg152243#msg152243 date=1182254501]
    no offence meant here but i wouldnt pay even half that as i think the mag is c**p
    [/quote]

Why not expalin what would make the magazine more appealing to you, if the magazine never hears your views how are they to know?

Anonymous

uhm i havent bought it for over 2 years and then i think i bought it because a friends dog was on the cover

ive found it full of adverts
    people testing stuff that i would never use or consider buying
    full of peoples problems/questions about there dog (which are 9 times out of 10 common sense)
    breeders ads – my breed in particular “all colours always available” thats one mighty big claim to make
    and over priced

Prem2Pram

er that’s what you don’t like about the magazine, it doesn’t mention what you would like to see in future editions, you have a chance here to give some imput why not make the most of it  ;D

Bevers2406

Don’t you just love people who say “no offence” before saying something really nasty!

We do our best, but I don’t recognise the mag at all from your critique – are you sure it’s Dogs Today you read? Email me your address and I’ll send you a free copy so you can do a proper review. We’ve been critised for many things in the past, but its usually been for taking risks and printing stuff no one else would touch. Bland and obvious aren’t the usual things we’ve been accused of!

Bevers2406

Just wondering which breed you’re in teamblackadnwhite? I don’t think we have any adverts that say ‘available in all colours’ – people get free adverts for litters but they are litter-specific as we need to check that all the health tests are done. Don’t mean to cause offence (!) but that sort of advert sounds like Your Dog or Dogs Monthly – they take those sorts of rolling adverts!
    Regards
    Beverley

quote :

full of peoples problems/questions about there dog (which are 9 times out of 10 common sense)

Only thing I will say here is – half the dog owners out there havent a clue – whats commen sense to us just seems to pass them by.

Have to say I like what Catherine O’Driscoll has to say, think she talks a lot of sense so is good to see something from her in there.
    Sometimes wish the Fido Facts contained more on the certain breeds grooming – but thats because im a groomer and would cheerfully sit and read pages of the stuff  ;DIs there ever much about grooming in the mag? I havent had it for ages as you know but have had the one you sent me, any may well get a subscription again when I can afford it. Sometimes would like to see more grooming articles because SO many owners neglect this area of their pets care.  🙂

Prem2Pram

The little black book is over a year old now and after asking us for feedback and asking us to point out which hereditary health problems had been omitted, I’d like to know if and when an updated version would be published.

I would have thought that a year gave the magazine enough time to find out about the various hereditary health problems that had been mentioned in this thread.

The advert for the little black dog book on coldwetnose blog states:

It explains all the different common hereditary problems and lists on a breed by breed basis what tests are available

(it doesn’t mention that the book is incomplete)

kizkiznobite

bev..can you please update the clumber section, which is very lacking…thanks

Bevers2406

We do produce a addendum with every issue we send out.

We are up to date as far as the BVA/KC eye scheme, can you tell me again what is missing on your breeds exactly so I can double check and make sure they’re hanged if necc.

We try to include everything you can test for – so herniating discs probably wouldn’t get a go as that’s probably more of a predisposition with lost of breeds having that prob too – is there a scheme monitoring that for Clumbers? I’ve got Rachel looking and checking our latest info against the BVA list just to make sure nothing has fallen off.

We’ve got every eye prob confirmed or under investigation listed according to the BVA list – and if it’s not on there we need some references to put it on or we would just say eye test every breed of dog – which is an idea, just probably a bit too ambitious at the moment.

Don’t know if you heard here – but James Wellbeloved were approached by the KC after they sponsored our Little Black Book and suffice to say we have not had another advert from either james WellBelloved or Royal Canin ever since as they wanted to show their support for the KC who did not like our Little Black Dog book!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime