Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Little dog syndrome

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Little dog syndrome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

I was so mad yesterday >:( >:(

Me, my friend and the boys went to the beach for a late evening walk. Dodger was brilliant – he was walking past dogs off lead, greeting two little dogs nicely on lead, coming back when called, doing a really nice heel close off lead when i asked and being very nice to Benji.

We stopped about half way along the beach to let them have a good play in the sea, it was pretty much empty by now except a young couple who had a shih tzu but they were at the very end of the beach walking back towards us. i made a few glances to see where they were so i could put dodger on lead when they got close enough.

About 2 mins later from the first time i spotted them all of a sudden this shih tzu was right by my friends feet and heading over to dodger who was swimming back in land. The dogs owners still where i last saw them ::)

Dodger went charging over to go see it, he did a nice sniff hello then just stood and watched it, the dog then got back up and started running off away from both me and his owners – dodger thought it was great fun and decided to chase it. I was extremely annoyed by dodger as he didn’t leave when i asked. The dog was obviously scared by dodger chasing it and started squealing still running. It finially stopped about 100 yards away and just sat down, since the dog stopped running dodger stopped chasing and he just stood next to it thinking it was a great game. I called him over and he came straight back, the dog followed then ran up to the guy who was walking towards us.

I thought he was coming over to apologize for not having his dog under control and letting it run over to us but instead he started having a go at me about my nasty dog who should be kept on lead if he’s going to bite other dogs. I may have went a little OTT but he certainly got a piece of my mind >:( >:( There was nothing nasty in what dodger did – he never touched the dog even when he was chasing it. There was nothing nasty or aggressive in anything he did. I asked the guy many times to show me the so called bite but he just turned around and walked away.

It just got me really annoyed and i know that they couldn’t have seen that dodger was only playing because they were quite a way away but to come in and start accusing us that it was all dodger without even accepting the fact that he didn’t have his little thing under control at all >:( >:( >:( just got me really annoyed

go on you for standing up for yourself and Dodge, i have had people have ago at me because their dog has come running up to Stan and hes told them to bugger off. not much we can do about it, just dont let them get to you :-*

.dodger.

exactly kerrie, this has happened to me so many times.

People think it’s alright because they know their dog is ‘fine’ with other dogs but what about the other dog? People just don’t think and i know that i have been in their shoes too because when dodger was young he used to do the exact thing but i saw that it was a problem and i changed it before anything serious happened…

It’s just frustrating ::)

Val

Sorry to burst a bubble but if Dodger had been obedient then none of this would of arisen, Yes the shiiddy which was not trained either, would still have come over but if the control had been there with the Dodger boy you would have had the upper hand
    Val

.dodger.

I already mentioned that i was disappointed he didn’t leave when he was chasing the dog as i cued the leave – i now know that this is something i have to work on with him but every other single thing i asked him to do he did. If the other dog had of been under control the problem never would have started

the problem that i always had was that i could have Stan under control and by my side yet if a dog ran up to him and shoved thier nose in Stans backside, even me saying leave wouldnt stop him from telling the other dog off, and quite rightly so i think

it is a shame that Dodge didnt leave on the cue, did you give the cue a bit late perhaps? after the chase had started rather than just before?

.dodger.

i did just that kerrie, i normally get the leave in first and that stops him but i still need to work on the leave it cue so that even when he is chasing a dog i can still get him to leave :yes:

Anonymous

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=14599.msg270986#msg270986 date=1249720432]
    I was so mad yesterday >:( >:(

Me, my friend and the boys went to the beach for a late evening walk. Dodger was brilliant – he was walking past dogs off lead, greeting two little dogs nicely on lead, coming back when called, doing a really nice heel close off lead when i asked and being very nice to Benji.

We stopped about half way along the beach to let them have a good play in the sea, it was pretty much empty by now except a young couple who had a shih tzu but they were at the very end of the beach walking back towards us. i made a few glances to see where they were so i could put dodger on lead when they got close enough.

About 2 mins later from the first time i spotted them all of a sudden this shih tzu was right by my friends feet and heading over to dodger who was swimming back in land. The dogs owners still where i last saw them ::)

Dodger went charging over to go see it, he did a nice sniff hello then just stood and watched it, the dog then got back up and started running off away from both me and his owners – dodger thought it was great fun and decided to chase it. I was extremely annoyed by dodger as he didn’t leave when i asked. The dog was obviously scared by dodger chasing it and started squealing still running. It finially stopped about 100 yards away and just sat down, since the dog stopped running dodger stopped chasing and he just stood next to it thinking it was a great game. I called him over and he came straight back, the dog followed then ran up to the guy who was walking towards us.

I thought he was coming over to apologize for not having his dog under control and letting it run over to us but instead he started having a go at me about my nasty dog who should be kept on lead if he’s going to bite other dogs. I may have went a little OTT but he certainly got a piece of my mind >:( >:( There was nothing nasty in what dodger did – he never touched the dog even when he was chasing it. There was nothing nasty or aggressive in anything he did. I asked the guy many times to show me the so called bite but he just turned around and walked away.

It just got me really annoyed and i know that they couldn’t have seen that dodger was only playing because they were quite a way away but to come in and start accusing us that it was all dodger without even accepting the fact that he didn’t have his little thing under control at all >:( >:( >:( just got me really annoyed
    [/quote]look on the bright side it just may teach the little dog to stay close to his owners and if any dog got bitten by any dog  doo i would put my money on the little noe biteing the big dog not the other way around

toppy

make you want to pull your hair out sometimes these dog owners  ::) Doesnt sound like your having much luck with the owners lately either, just read your other post  😛

I’m hating all the people who let there dogs off leads when they have no control to  :-\ our Mr Bojangles is kept on lead now and other people just let their dogs walk up to him, MR just wants to run off and play with them so ends up barking at the loose dogs, then the owners give me the look as if to say keep your dog under control – Complete idiots, my dog on lead and theirs off, their the ones in wrong letting there dog walk up to a dog on lead if you ask me……more annoying as we walk in our local park and it always full of yound lads and staffs, although i have no problem with staffs these kinds of kids give staffs a bad name, theres posters all over our park at the mo looking for a brindle staff as it attacked an old ladies collie  🙁

Hope you have some better luck sometime soon though  ;D

Val

Thats unfair you should never blame a deed on size it’s as unfair as blaming  the black and tans for dog attacks, this was a case of TWO dogs not being under control nothing to do with size
    Val

[/quote]look on the bright side it just may teach the little dog to stay close to his owners and if any dog got bitten by any dog   doo i would put my money on the little noe biteing the big dog not the other way around
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

instead of leave when he on the move already…use the stop cue….and then a recall

.dodger.

the title of this post was in regards to the couple and their dog not little dogs in general – heck dodger’s best friend is a westie – i was simply ranting about their behavior. As Val pointed out twice although Dodger listened to everything else, he did not listen to the most important thing i asked of him which then escalated the situation. I didn’t make this post to get into all the things dodger did wrong as i already know of them and have my plans to correct these i simply wanted to vent about how my dog was ten times more obedient and well mannered than the other dog yet he got ALL the blame for the situation arising.

I would have used the stop then recall but they literally stopped running a few seconds after the leave cue. Maybe it was me ‘shouting’ the leave that got the dog to stop running ???

Val

Laura if you read the quote you will see it was not aimed at you

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=14599.msg271077#msg271077 date=1249853153]
    the title of this post was in regards to the couple and their dog not little dogs in general – heck dodger’s best friend is a westie – i was simply ranting about their behavior. As Val pointed out twice although Dodger listened to everything else, he did not listen to the most important thing i asked of him which then escalated the situation. I didn’t make this post to get into all the things dodger did wrong as i already know of them and have my plans to correct these i simply wanted to vent about how my dog was ten times more obedient and well mannered than the other dog yet he got ALL the blame for the situation arising.

I would have used the stop then recall but they literally stopped running a few seconds after the leave cue. Maybe it was me ‘shouting’ the leave that got the dog to stop running ???
    [/quote]

Sweetypye

I am afraid I agree with Val Laura. You have pointed the finger at the other dog and the other owner, however both dogs were under insufficient control.

You have to remember that when you own a dog such as a GSD/Rott etc that they come with “baggage” ie a bad press and many people are scared (however irrationally) by them because of their collective not individual reputation.

(a bit like the title of your post, little dog syndrome, which indicates the same sort of prejudice)

YOU knew your dog only wanted to play, but unless the other dog owner knows your dog, I am afraid that Dodger’s actions will be interpreted as something else.  If, for example, Dodger had been a labrador then the other owner may have been less accusatory and if, for example, Dodger had come back when called you would have been less defensive.

These are the facts of life; you have to remember that some people may have had a bad experience with a particular breed or their dog may have had; plus it ALWAYS looks worse when a big dog and a small one are chasing around as people jump to conclusions.

I know you are very young, but one of the things you learn in life is to see things from the other person’s perspective; the picture YOU see is not necessarily the one THEY see. :ok:

It is human nature to want to blame something or somebody else for our own failings I am afraid, and sometimes it is more constructive to apologise (even if you have done nothing wrong) as it takes the air out of people’s sails and smooths things over.

.dodger.

i’m not pointing the finger at all. I have already mentioned many times now that i know about Dodger and i do not believe the situation was the other persons fault at all, regardless of what you think. What you and Val don’t seem to notice or understand is that this post was not about pointing the blame, it was simply just venting my annoyance of how the other people reacted. I can do a separate post about how very disobedient dodger is as this, and the fact you think i am blaming the other people completely, seems to be the only thing you are interested in.

I also think it was very judgmental of you to say that just because i am ‘very young’ i can’t see the other persons point of view. I can both see and understand their point of view and if the original post was to write about the situation that happened i would have included it but i’ll say it yet again, it was not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime