Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Liver

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Liver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    cjane

Got some liver from the butcher and want to make some training treats.  Tried the liver cake recipe before and it turned out a bit crumbely.  Want to make something thats quite firm, easy to cut up or to carry a chunk and break bits off when required.  Any-one point me in the right direction.

CJ

Too much flour?  How long did you give it in the oven, i usually give it about 20mins in a swiss roll tin and its nice and cakey, i give it a bit longer if i want it chewier  🙂

cjane

Which recipe do you use Foxisle?

I use

8oz liver
    4oz  SR flour
    2eggs
    water
    and sometimes garlic,if im up for it, the smell of the liver and garlic together is too much sometimes  :vomit:

cjane

Thanks Fox, I’ll give it a try.

CJ

can you leave out the flour or substitute?

I haven’t tried it without the flour but i think you probably could, you’d just have to cook it different.  Maybe a bain marie and it would be more like a pate/terrine?

maybe a what and more like a ????? – english for the non cooks lol!

I will maybe give it a go hehe!!  ;D

Anonymous

Best way is to stick the liver in a pot with some garlic cloves boil it up leave to cool cut up into tiny peices spread on a tray then bake in an oven low heat until they are hard bag up as you like can be used straight out of the freezer or fresh
    Val

ahhh yes i tried that val – i burnt them  :embarrass: will try again on a lower heat – honey did like them though!!!!

Anonymous

You can all tell how much dogs love liver cooked his way if the Diva will eat it burn’t  :boooo:
    Suz I swear you could burn water  :tease:

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12505.msg241894#msg241894 date=1222021887]
    ahhh yes i tried that val – i burnt them  :embarrass: will try again on a lower heat – honey did like them though!!!!
    [/quote]

haha yeah cos honey no like burnt stuff normally  :nono: but she LOVED them  ;D

I have been none to boil a saucepan dry – I get ummmm sidetracked!  :tease:

LOL sorry suz!  a bain marie is basically just the pan your cooking in sat in a bigger pan of water then put in the oven.  It heats gently instead of a harsh blast.  It’ll probably be quite smooth and soft  🙂

uhuh thats a new one on me lol! ok would it be too soft do you think?

Still think easier option is you make Honeys treats and i buy them off you  :yes:

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=12505.msg241885#msg241885 date=1222021179]
    Best way is to stick the liver in a pot with some garlic cloves boil it up leave to cool cut up into tiny peices spread on a tray then bake in an oven low heat until they are hard bag up as you like can be used straight out of the freezer or fresh
    Val
    [/quote]

Instead of burning it in the oven Suz you could always put it in the microwave 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime