Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Loki again – can anyone explain please?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Loki again – can anyone explain please?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

All I ever seem to do is post about Loki being a pain  🙁

Anyway – I can’t work this out, so can someone tell me what’s going on?

There is a youngish (similar age to Loki) mastiff x staff, male and castrated (relatively recently) who is lovely – we have met him twice now… he is very friendly – all the other dogs love him… BUT – Loki is barely manageable when he is around…  other dog always approaches us first – then starts licking all around Loki’s mouth and lying on his back. Loki then proceed to hump him  :-[  and then stand on his shoulder and generally harass him. I can’t get him off the dog without physically dragging him (whereas if he tried that with a bitch and I said off then leave – he would listen  ??? )

So I initially thought it was a kind of ‘showing the dog he is in charge’ type of thing…  But now am thinking is actually a sexual thing – because he really goes for it with the humping – lipstick out etc..  Not that the other dog seemed to mind that much  ???  and when I took him home he spent 10 mins humping his bed (which he rarely does these days).

I so rarely have this problem of him mounting other dogs -and in the past has really only been bitches and I can manage that behaviour…

Obviously I put him back on lead – but other dog kept coming over… was so tiring.. I think I know what my solution will be – keep him on lead if I ever see that dog. But would like to know what the behaviour is.

Thank you all  :-*

Val

it’s the smells Widget this says it all ………………male and castrated (relatively recently………….well thats my opinion not that it’s my field of expertise  ::) ;D .
    Val

Anonymous

Anything I can do?  I’ve never seen him get so excited…

He’s depressing me a bit at the mo.. silly really cos most of the time he is a star, but then things like this happen  :'(

Bilclarie

I know a lot of intact males have a thing for a castrated dog’s don’t ask me why becasue I haven’t a clue, is Loki intact?

Mo and the Gang

Anonymous

Yes he is entire – but he hasn’t been like that with any other castrated males – never quite so frenetic  ???  is just incredibly embarrassing and awful… although the owner wasn’t bothered – she says alot of dogs seem to do that to him…

Val

If other dogs do the same it’s definatly the smell  :ok: castration and spaying mucks up the hormones, have seen so many castrated dogs and spayed bitches being chased and humped for life it depends what the dogs natural hormone were doing when the vet got hold of them.
    Have also seen entire males fight with castrated dogs and it all comes down to the odour the dog is giving off
    Val

Anonymous

Thanks Val  🙂

So basically no real solution but keep my pervert on a lead around him… Honestly never seen him quite so obsessed… The poor bed took alot of grief when he got home  😮

I know from experience that often this excitement over a castrated male can be worse than an in season bitch!  Its like they go off their nut, completely crazy over the dog.  The best thing to do is avoid it.  In the creche we used to get tons of castrated males, and it was a nightmare trying to keep the obsessing dog away!  Imagine Loki going on like that from 7am-6pm, sooooo frustrating!  :-\

Mudgie

Lots of reinforcing on a good sound “Leave it” – I can get nacho to do this with a knuckle bone and when BB was in season – work on that and it will be a lot more manageable.

Anonymous

[quote author=Foxisle_crazy link=topic=14238.msg266991#msg266991 date=1242403742]
    I know from experience that often this excitement over a castrated male can be worse than an in season bitch!  Its like they go off their nut, completely crazy over the dog.  The best thing to do is avoid it.  In the creche we used to get tons of castrated males, and it was a nightmare trying to keep the obsessing dog away!  Imagine Loki going on like that from 7am-6pm, sooooo frustrating!   :-\
    [/quote]

You’re right – is far worse that he has ever ever been with an in season bitch… is complete pain… Am going to avoid..

Mudgie I really don’t think that would work for me with this castrated dog.  As I said above – Leave it works with an in season bitch (although presumably it hasn’t been the ‘right time’) – thanks for suggestion tho  🙂

kizkiznobite

i would guess that the boyo was a low producer so there had been little male hormone production and he puts out a high female hormorne smell….to test this i suggest the owners of the dog try an anti mate spray or a lavender/geranium oil based spray and see if loki and others still react the same way…

Anonymous

Haven’t seen it since – but will suggest to owner if I see again. She does say it happens quite alot… He was castrated at about 18 months old – so seems odd that his hormones would be strange doesn’t it  :-\  But he was always very soppy..  Loki used to play nicely with him and then push him around.. but that was before he was castrated…

not really widget – william was castrated at 4yrs old and is still a handful with entire males … not learned behaviours … definately the smell  !!

he just cant leave them alone – Mel’s Travis and Terry’s Dorain being 2 prime examples … he will “leaveit” but he wont heed the dogs warnings 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime