Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Loki’s recall etc

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Loki’s recall etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Right… am totally fed up to be posting this – and I may be a little premature – as the problem has only been this weekend – but want to nip it in the bud  🙁

Loki has been really good for ages – recall very good – I can stop him running off to greet other dogs now which is his main problem. He is even better in Suffolk where there are no other dogs  on most of our walks – he is very responsive.

So we had a week in North Norfolk – beachs etc – he was very good. Met lots of dogs – recall all fine.  Then we got back to Suffolk on Saturday – and he ran out of the car – and striaght off down the footpath (runs out of the garden)  😮 – He ignored my calls & whistles – and went sniffing off around the corner – head down – following a scent. We eventually found him almost halfway round his usual walk (which involves going down a footpath onto a road – luckily a very very quiet road – but there is always the chance of a car  🙁 and down at the entrance of the second path) – He ran back when he saw us – but then ran past and just kept ignoring us.

We captured him and got him inside – but i can’t help feeling this was a massive extinction  🙁

He’s been awful ever since – not responding to recall properly – ether voice, visual or whilste – he was rubbish in the park this morning – totally ignoring me and sniffing around. I had to walk up and grab him in the end.

I have tested recall at home and in garden yesterday and is all 100% as ever – is just off lead on walks  :'(

What will I do with him? Long Line? Lead walks only for a while to get the focus back?

For those that don’t know – he is not food motivated or toy motivated – he is basically most interested in whether he can find a bitch on heat.

Incidentally – I suspect that was what he could smell on the footpath.

Am not sure really why am writing – I sort of know what I have to do  – am just so fed up with him and myself, I think I just need to vent  :-\

Hi Widget,
    I know just how you feel he sounds just like my dog Dan, we have just come off a walk, I have never been able to get Dan to stop running up to other dogs or people for that matter to greet, so I have to keep him on a long lead when in the fields where you should be able to let a dog off.
    Dan is  not food motivated or toy motivated so I am at a loss as to get him listen to me.

For you this is just a laps, a hicup,  you have done it before you will do it again. :ok:
    Sue. 🙂

Izzie

So you have C1,C2 at 100%

what about C3 and 4?

Anonymous

Izzie – Depends what you would say C3 and C4 are for Loki – I have 100% at my parents house, and in their garden – with Dottie dog. So I guess that is C3? and C4 would be a walk without dogs?

However – as I said above – he wandered down the footpath – that’s when I lost it.  After that, on sunday I kept him well away from the footpath out in my parents garden (is open – no fences – countryside all around – he usuall fine) and his recall was still 100% then – is just once we out on a walk.

Last week and before out on walk without dogs I usually have 100% – but that is what I have just lost – I would say a walk with dogs I usually have around 90% recall. Not perfect  :-[

Thanks Sue – I hope it is a lapse too.  🙁

Anonymous

To be honest – the more I think about this the more I think – Loki is still a young dog – I need to keep up the training and reinforcing – I think we let him have lots of freedom and ‘fun’ walks whilst on holiday – and I need to remember that I have to keep on with the training – cos he’ll push it otherwise  :-[ :-\

I think lead walks and training at home for a bit  🙁

DawnG

It’s a shame I didn’t know you were on hols in my part of the country, could have met for a walk  🙂

Hope you sort out your problem with Loki.

Anonymous

Where are you Dawn? We had some lovely walks around Stiffkey and Blakney  🙂

Izzie

[quote author=widget link=topic=13381.msg256677#msg256677 date=1231157531]
    To be honest – the more I think about this the more I think – Loki is still a young dog – I need to keep up the training and reinforcing – I think we let him have lots of freedom and ‘fun’ walks whilst on holiday – and I need to remember that I have to keep on with the training – cos he’ll push it otherwise  :-[ :-\

[/quote]

You know your answer hon, best of luck with it :-* :-*

I just love Wells-next-the-sea. Haven’t been for a couple of years and miss it sooo much, I just love walking along the wide open beach can walk for miles…. HEAVEN… 🙂 You both live in beautiful part of the country.

Anonymous

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=13381.msg256698#msg256698 date=1231164949]
    [quote author=widget link=topic=13381.msg256677#msg256677 date=1231157531]

[/quote]

You know your answer hon, best of luck with it :-* :-*
    [/quote]

Fanks Izzie  :-*

Much appreciated….  I’m just frustrated – but I guess they all do this to us at times  :-\

I keep being told I should have him castrated – but I really don’t think it would change much now..

Anonymous

[quote author=Sue Loves Labs link=topic=13381.msg256699#msg256699 date=1231165075]
    I just love Wells-next-the-sea. Haven’t been for a couple of years and miss it sooo much, I just love walking along the wide open beach can walk for miles…. HEAVEN… 🙂 You both live in beautiful part of the country.
    [/quote]

Wish I lived there  😀

I live in London – nowhere near as nice… but often in Suffolk for weekends…

stan decided a little while ago that he would chase anything that moved and ignore the recall, i dont think castrating would help but im no expert in entire dogs. just keep with it and good luck ;D :-*

don’t think the big c would help either now  :-* i had this exact same thing after spending 2 weeks in the new forest because beau had so much freedom and fun when he got home he seemed to just get peed off that he was home and decided he would just do what he wanted, we went back to basics like you are doing reinstalled the rules and he was back to normal again in a few weeks, it was our fault for being so slack and relaxed with him on holiday  :yes:

Anonymous

Kerry – I think you’re right – sounds the same  :-\

I just get v. frustrated – which is silly and I should just get on with it. I have so much envy of my friends dog – who is six months younger and an angel out on walks… having said that he’s a monster in the house and Loki is pretty much perfect at home – so you can’t have it all  :-\ Well maybe you can – but apparently not yet for me  :-[

DawnG

[quote author=widget link=topic=13381.msg256688#msg256688 date=1231160898]
    Where are you Dawn? We had some lovely walks around Stiffkey and Blakney  🙂
    [/quote]

I’m in North Walsham, about 15 min drive from Cromer.  Where you walked is my favourite part of the north norfolk coast, especially at this time of the year  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime