Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Management and Reward

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Wilbur is so quiet but Winnie’ :Ds yap is driving us crazy, especially in a morning if she hears us move!!!
    Or when we are in the car before we get out for her walk, she yaps so I stand there till she sits and is quiet (sometimes it takes ages!!!)

kizkiznobite

then the rewards havnt been gotten in quick enough ;D

Anonymous

Help, how can I reward her? as soon as I stop the car she starts barking and jumping up and down in the back of the car. I get out and come to the back (she is still barking) I wait for her to stop before opening the back door up to reward the sit and quiet. Is this what I should be doing???
    Also she has started weeing with exitement when visitors first come in and pick her up.. any tips??? ::)

kizkiznobite

read the criteria post in the sticky’s  🙂 do you use a clicker?

Anonymous

Hi no I dont use a clicker, have just read criteria but dont know how to put that to getting her out of the car quietly(be nice to me, been at work and head hurts ;D) She is great while out and comes back straight away when called. It is just when she is exited she starts barking and going round in circles ::)

kizkiznobite

ok – you need to put the bark on cue so you have the off switch – some behaviours are opposite the bark is one of them – bark hush bark hush – in order for the dog to totally understand the cue hush (as opposed to a dog that shuts up with a shut up yelled at him/her – that is a dog that is reading tone and body language and has learnt that that means belt up) then s/he needs to realise that it is the op of bark – so get the bark on cue by getting her to bark and rewarding it loads – when it is fluent then start rewarding the no bark – there is a post on here in full.  you need to have a visual signal for the hush – or a whistle that is louder than the bark – get it through the criterias – training starts at criteria 1 – then when she starts in the car you can switch her off. once she is quiet on cue then you can introduce training the other behaviour (notice the word other cos you got 2 behaviours happening here) of not being allowed out until she is sitting quietly – again using my ami as an example  – and cos i clever so so  ::) i tried to do the 2 at once – wrap (my no bark cue) and sit down or you not going anywhere – so she very quickly learnt to sit down nicely and howl instead – clever dogs move it on – 2 seperate behaviours 2 seperate cues to start with then when fluent – chain them so now – when we pull up somewhere that is mega excitable to ami – as the car stops i cue ‘ bunnieswaiting’ and she sits down and shuts up cos she knows she not getting the reward of being let out unless she does – is that better – with me?

Anonymous

Thanks kiz, I will try this. If I put my finger to my mouth she goes quiet (when waiting to be fed) should I use it and say hush?

kizkiznobite

yep thats a start 😀

Anonymous

Oh well they are both so fab, great work you are doing with them Kiz, and you look beautiful!! its nice to see you at last!! :-*

But two minpins in a vid…together….makes me breathless 😀 😀

Anonymous

This video is so calming I find myself sitting “nice”  😉

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime