Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

meaty/recreational bones

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health meaty/recreational bones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    deebee

cant get my head round this  so please illuminate me.

i got some bones from a box at a butchers. the lady serving didnt know what they were but they were 20p so got them.

they are end of leg with a hip socket type shape and bigger than my fist. the leg part is full of marrow and cut to be about 5 inches long.  i presume these are teeth bones not really food though there is a fair amount of meat left on them.

when should i feed them, after breakfast? afternoon/evening? could i leave him with one once he gets the hang of them?
    seems a shame to have them in the freezer when doggy could have them.

and yes , i am new to raw feeding lol :agree:

they are teeth bones ;D i usually give them mid morning or lunch time

deebee

wahey! thought so!!
    is it safe to leave him with it when i have to go out (he’d look forward to me going then)

i personly dont like leaving dogs with bones however im sure big marrow bone would be ok but someone else will know ;D

Anonymous

Hi,

i think its a personal thing – i have left mine with chix wings but they are well used to them and i dont crate them when i do this as the restricted movement may make them choke or something – i worry 😀

as a rule – bones that hold the animal up are teeth bones and are gnawed over time and disguarded and gone back to and turned into toys (here atleast) before being binned !!

bones that dont seem nessesary for it to stand are food bones and are gobbled up in about 1 second flat!

deffo teeth bones, there will be a little goodness in them if theres still flesh/muscle and marrow but eventually you’ll have a hollow bone you can stuff with other bits to keep him busy 😀

Claire x

xtine

Have never left Fritz with a meaty bone but we have left him with BIG marrow bones  :yes: the type that he doesn’t crunch but scrapes and licks to get at the marrow which he then wipes on the sofa, curtains and bed  >:D

Dree

Our dogs get a fresh recreational bone about once a week.  I give them in the afternoon usually, after they’ve had a run, and they can settle down to a good chew.  Mine have some meat on them, and it’s amazing the amount of fun they get out of them! 

Is your dog used to bones?  If not, I would recommend just giving the bone for about half an hour at first…..wrap it up and stick it in the fridge….next day for another half hour….I would do that for about a week….just to make sure the dog doesn’t go mad and overdo it.  (I once gave a knuckle bone to a dog that wasn’t used to it, and she became seriously impacted.)  Once a dog is used to bones…..no problem…..you can then leave the dog alone with the bone for as long as you like.  And 20p each is a bargain!!  ;D

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12776.msg246628#msg246628 date=1224781331]
    as a rule – bones that hold the animal up are teeth bones and are gnawed over time and disguarded and gone back to and turned into toys (here atleast) before being binned !!
    [/quote]

i will leave dorain with them – but not for too long, as he just keeps going. and he will seriously eat the whole thing – takes him a while, but…. have some pics somewhere of how his one before last ended up and from what… mind you he doesn’t get them that often as no butchers near here, and nearest one is a bit hit and miss for bones and quite expensive.  🙁

advice – if they aren’t used to them scrape some of the marrow out of the middle first.  😀

GSPmad

we had this (well actually it had a proper ball on it at the start, this was taken after he’d been at it a while….

[img width=468 height=382]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff133/CrazyGang/th_Bonesbonesbones2008_08_31_15_20_00.jpg[/img]

we were left with this… remnant from bottom of bone – about 1.5 ins deep, no marrow left. and he ate FAR too much of it (my fault  :-[ ).

[img width=468 height=351]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff133/CrazyGang/Remnant3.jpg[/img]

deebee

many thanks for the responses everyone.

dree.  hes been having chick wings for breakfast, so used to bones of a sort. he knows how to hold things to chew, not that he does with chick wings lol.

xtine  in kitchen or garden only!! im mean like that.

claire  bones that are used to stand must have sunk into what brain i have cos i remembered that. thanks for confirming.

gspmad  Max i’m sure would do the same, eat till its gone. marrow out, less farts.

i had thought that i would let him have one or two with me there, then leave him with one he’d already had a go at.  taking it off him would be the biggy. previous owners felt he ate too fast so would take his food away mid bite and made him food posessive, not agressive but avoiding giving it up. i
    cant think of anything he would prize more to swop with.

Anonymous

My advice would be to train him not to be food aggressive it’s an easy thing to stop do not give him the bone YOU hold the bone, there is a great video on here with Bev eating a bone with Mudgies Nooch Pooch it’s all about sharing you can also put some oil on the bone that way it oils the path down the dogs gut
    Val

[quote author=deebee link=topic=12776.msg246651#msg246651 date=1224788846]
    many thanks for the responses everyone.

dree.  hes been having chick wings for breakfast, so used to bones of a sort. he knows how to hold things to chew, not that he does with chick wings lol.

xtine  in kitchen or garden only!! im mean like that.

claire  bones that are used to stand must have sunk into what brain i have cos i remembered that. thanks for confirming.

gspmad  Max i’m sure would do the same, eat till its gone. marrow out, less farts.

i had thought that i would let him have one or two with me there, then leave him with one he’d already had a go at.  taking it off him would be the biggy. previous owners felt he ate too fast so would take his food away mid bite and made him food posessive, not agressive but avoiding giving it up. i
    cant think of anything he would prize more to swop with.
    [/quote]

Anonymous

you need to do “me-you” like val says – f*** me its the scariest thing i have ever seen i damn near pooped myself when bev did it with bonnie i was rigid terrified in a chair 2 metres away !!!

so if you bottle it – you aint alone !! 😀

i can do it now tho – yay me !!

Claire x

deebee

i’m surprised i remember to get up in the morning.
    bev showed me this and have done it with wings and tub of pate. he good boy when doing it, so long as i have my paws on it, if i give him it hes off.
    will practice this again tomorrow with wings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime