Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

micro chip

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs micro chip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    madeley

just got a 6 week old bichon frise how old should she be before i can get her micro chipped?

Diesel73

6 weeks to young to be seperated from mam  :-\ ….

Someone else can answer the chip question for you. I don’t do chips, i prefer tatoos. No possible dangerous ‘side-effects’ compared to the chips.

Anonymous

I am just going to dig my paper work out to see how old Cass was when her chip was done & i’ll come back.

Anonymous

Ok she was 2 months old but bare in mind she’s a large breed.

bek

My pup isis was microchipped at 6 weeks same time as her tattoo was done, but she is also a large breed (gsd)

Anonymous

I’ve chip & pinned(tattooed)litters of Border Terriers & Border Collies @ 6 weeks. The breeder shown really have this done before they leave home.

Bringing home a 6 weeks old toy breed is way too young IMHO.

*Nick*

Yes, isn’t this the breeders responsibility? Well, it is here anyway.  Sadie was chipped at 6 weeks, my terv Wyatt was inked before I got him at 10 weeks.

anyway, you should be fine getting your Bichon done as soon as you can.

Anonymous

I’ve just been to tattoo some working weimaraner puppies(legally docked-so I couldn’t chip them as that has to be done by the vet that did the docking) Their breeder believes in the belt & braces approach. He has always had them tattooed @ 6 weeks & chipped shortly afterwards before they leave him so he knows the puppies are traceable.

Your vet probably won’t chip until the second vaccination stage. There are other microchipper around though who should be cheaper than the vets & are usually better at implanting the chips too. you can have a Bio-Thermo chip, that will read your dogs temperature without the use of a thermometer, implanted or simply a normal chip

madeley

she seems to have settled in well and is eating weetabix and puppy complete biscuits what will happen to her as she is too young to be seperated from mam?

Anonymous

[quote author=madeley link=topic=12437.msg240558#msg240558 date=1221409981]
    she seems to have settled in well and is eating weetabix and puppy complete biscuits what will happen to her as she is too young to be seperated from mam?
    [/quote]

Why are you giving her weetabix ? Was it on the diet sheet your breeder gave you ? TBH I would never give any puppy weatbix-it has nothing in it that will beneift the puppy. My puppies get either their compete or their raw food split into 4 meals a day. Puppies do not need milk after they are weaned from their mother. A good quality puppy compete has everything in it the puppy needs to grow correctly so it doesn’t need any milk meals.

My adults are fed raw this is the only reason my puppies get compete & raw & I gradually change it to all raw. You don’t have to do this of course as not everyone likes feeding raw meat & bones to their dogs. My dogs also get vegetables & fruit(LOL they have stripped the lower branches of my plum tree this year ::) ) plus a whole egg every week as a special treat

Toy breeds should really stay with the breeder until they are around 12 weeks of age, to ensure they get plenty of dog to dog experience & also from a health point of view

Don’t worry about your puppy too much, you do need to make sure she gets lots of positive experiences with people & you can take her out in your arms before she has her vaccinations & allow healthy well mannered small dogs to visit her at home.

Your vet may run”puppy parties”however one word of caution these are usually run my the Veterinary Nurses & good as they are with animals few have had any training in puppy behaviour & puppy parties can do more harm than good, for example if larger puppies are allowed to bully smaller ones. If you go down that route ask if you can sit in with your puppy on one session, then you will know how they are run & if the puppies have a good experience there

beau was done at his 2nd vaccination.

Mudgie

nooch wasnt done until 6 months – vet had new clients who had lost the chip getting it done so young.  weetabix is very much old school of breeding but not in use a lot these days.  i would do your research decide on what you wnat to feed pooch then get puppy version – there is loads on here about feeding.  Read Bevs on a rant…… will open your eyes to the commercial world of dogfood.  😮 😮  I gave my dogs puppy milk when they were young never did them any harm.  😉  read up on stuff, then make decisions for your puppy that you feel most happy about at the end of the day you are the one responsible for it  😉

Misty23

Fudge was chipped at 12 wks, she is on 2 meals of dried food and 1 meal raw food,

Sweetypye

It is not the breeder’s responsibility to chip their litters.  Some do, some do not.  Some owners do not like chipping, that includes me but I had my GSD done this year when he was 3 because I want to train and compete abroad.

I prefer tattoos because it is visible, unless a dog is scanned you do not know if the dog is chipped or not. however tattoos are invisible on black ears unless you use an UV light.

6 weeks is a little young IMHO, I prefer to take mine home at 7 weeks.

Agree with weetabix, this is breakfast food for humans not dogs.  Dogs should be eating dog food, they have very efficient teeth to do not need to consume the equivalent of invalid food and milk post weaning is not a very good idea in most cases.

Good luck with your pup.

Anonymous

Hi,

I have helped with chipping 6 week old border terriers and they didnt seem to mind all that much.  I am not sure what i’d do with my own as William was chipped by the rescue at 3 1/2yrs and Bonnie had been done when she was speyed at 9mths.

Claire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime