Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Molly at the vet

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Molly at the vet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aly12

Whilst Molly was at the vet yesterday for her usual blood test I mentioned that she sometimes has a little skip with her left leg. The vet gave her a good examination on both legs and her hips are in good condition she does, however, have slipping knees on both legs but even though the vet stretched both legs straight out there was no reaction from Molly. She has said that nothing needs to be done just now and she may go through life not needing anything done at all but it is now on her records and if it gets any worse in the future she may need surgery. I am just so glad that surgery is not needed – there is no point going through surgery just for the sake of stopping the occasional skip. The vet was saying her mum’s westie had the same thing and never needed anything done with them. Hopefully this will be the same with Molly.

kendal

the back leg skip it just a wee terrier thing you see it all the time in Jacks, Westies, Scotties, Cairns Etc. nothing to worry about. it freaked me out when i started working at the kennel, but you see it all the time.

my theory is that because there legs go so fast at times the have to do a wee skip to get the back legs in time with the front. lol

No actually the bunny hope is absolutely classic of slipping patella – which is what it sounds like Molly has, many dogs have it and while some do require surgery many others dont just take care when exercising etc.

It is far more common in smaller breeds, and have seen/groom many dogs with it – good old clicky knees!

Aly12

The vet called it slippy knees – I thought it was only the left leg but the vet said it was both knees.  Funny thing is she hasn’t done it at all today – perhaps with the vet stretching both her legs yesterday she has clicked them back into place a bit better ;D

slippy knees well theres a medical term – he almost without a dout means slipping patellas, the knee caps, basically the dont fit in place quite right some can slip out and stay out – thats a more serious case obviously and requires surgery. Knew a yorkie had both done, was two years old before it was picked up. It is sadly more common than anyone would like.

Anonymous

No No No these dogs all have slipping patellas it’s an inherited disease common among pet bred dogs as they are never tested for slipping patella.
    Suz and I see it all the time with the grooming it’s something good groomers look for before grooming a dog as the knee can pop right out.
    You will never see a dog hopping on the back leg in a showring
    Val

[quote author=kendal link=topic=13506.msg258204#msg258204 date=1232485319]
    the back leg skip it just a wee terrier thing you see it all the time in Jacks, Westies, Scotties, Cairns Etc. nothing to worry about. it freaked me out when i started working at the kennel, but you see it all the time.

my theory is that because there legs go so fast at times the have to do a wee skip to get the back legs in time with the front. lol
    [/quote]

Aly12

Yeah Suze that is exactly what she meant but she just gave them that sort of tongue in cheek name.  I am just glad I have a vet who is not out to make money by just saying oh well that will need some surgery done

Lucyr

My Staffie had a luxating patella and had to have surgery for it 2 or 3 years ago now.  Unfortunately in the last 6 mths i’ve seen her hop again on the same leg but is not causing her the problems it did originally.  When it first happened to my dog she couldn’t even put her foot to the ground so it was quite bad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime