Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Mucopolysaccharidosis type 6

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Mucopolysaccharidosis type 6

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aly12

Has anyone heard of this disease.  My friend’s little miniature schnauzer has been attending the vet school for accupuncture in her back legs and back as she has pain in this area.  She had a stroke when she was 8 months old, she is now 4.  She had MRI scans today and there is nothing in the brain but they have sent away samples to America to be tested as they think it may be the above.  They said they have only ever had one other schnauzer with this disease but that one was only 18months old so they are hopeful that it is not this as my friend’s dog is now 4.  They are hoping that it is just that she is deteriorating due to the stroke and not because of this disease as I don’t think there is a cure for it.  If anyone has heard of it I would be grateful to get their comments.  Thanks

Anonymous

Never had personal dealing apart from knowing it’s a autosomal recessive disease that occers because of a dificiency of heparan sulfate sulfamidase commonally known as SGSH, I think from memory the path is bone marrow transplant.
    It’s very rare I do know it was found in NZ Heelaways.
    I have never heard of it in MS
    Infact I will stick my neck out and say this dog is insured and the vets are playing lets make money
    Val
    Val

Aly12

Thanks for your reply Val.  The dog is insured but she has deteriorated so much recently.  Her back legs don’t work properly inasmuchas they cross over when she is walking or she bunnyhops due to the stroke.  Her hip joint is not the correct shape and her knee is frilly.  Her bones were malformed before birth.  She is on Tramadol painkillers but when the vet touches certain parts of her leg or back she is still in pain.   I did read on the net that bone marrow transplants could be involved.  I think this may have been a puppy farm dog as my friend’s son met the lady halfway at a service station 4 years ago at Christmas.  I feel so sorry for my friend as this is her “baby” and she is just so worried that they won’t be able to help her.  I do believe the vet is really trying to help. Glasgow Vet School is a well known establishment and if it wasn’t for them Molly wouldn’t be here with us today.

Anonymous

Ar you never said she was under the care of Glasgow they are one of the best.
    This is the price that is paid for bad breeding the cost to the owners is very expensive in tears so full of heartache.
    I would think it’s to do with her general makeup and as she ages her system cannot cope she is the first dog I have ever heard of to have a stroke at that young age any breed or X breed.
    Miniature Schnauzers can suffer health problems associated with high fat levels. Such problems include hyperlipidemia, which may increase the possibility of pancreatitis.
    They can be prone to diabetes, bladder stones some cancers and a few eye problems
    But thats all I have ever heard of and none of them are that common my daughter owns the breed she’s never had any of these problems
    Val

Aly12

Thanks Val – you are right Glasgow Vet School is one of the best.  My photo is of Molly and I doing the sponsored doggy dawdle for them last year and we are hoping to do it again this year.  She has been tested for pancreatitis but that was clear.  I just hope something can be done to help in even a small way.  My friend is hoping to emigrate to Australia and take her “baby” with her but I just can’t see that happening.  I know she will not go if she can’t take the dog with her and if the vet says she can’t go she will wait until the time comes for Dusty not to take any more.  She really wants the best for Dusty and has said that she could not condemn her to a life of pain. :'(

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime