Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

my boy Max

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training my boy Max

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    deebee

thanks piglet

i know im sounding negative, but.
    i have been doing what you say to no avail, he ready for my turn, hop skips right back into forward position and i turn again and then he turns infront of me as if to say ‘i know we going to turn now’. yes, then do the wait he good at that ,then ‘walk on’ back to how we were. if i turned as soon as he was infront of me we would be doing a tight circle. he would think that was a game.
    leave it and heel close mean nothing to him outside, not a flicker of hesitation when i say them.
    i have a bottle neck of pavement to get anywhere from here and people infront and behind alot of the time, avoidence is often not possible. crossing the road is often not possible when there is a car going past.

no more off lead, thats for sure. no more walks in the woods or fun places. lower criteria for the moment.

when is your behaviourist back deebee?
    different trainers say/advise/work in different ways so don’t worry about being confused!  :ok:
    All i can advise without assessing your situation is if you are in any doubt about him being off lead etc, dont let him off untill you speak to your behaviourist again. he/she will help u get back on track.
    keep working on those cues and most importantly stay calm!! it might not seem like it but u will get there if you keep putting the work in!

Anonymous

Hi,

dont worry about sounding negative 🙂  its all alot of learning my head ached for hours when i was going through this 🙂

ok – so what exactly is happening here ?

can you write down how you understood what bev said / showed you about the heelwork ?

can you choose a less busy time of day to start with ?

are you confident in what you do (body lang / cues / movements) or is there some wishywashy bits in there (i was even worse than wishywashy believe me !!!)

Claire x

deebee

doglover, i have no idea when shes back.
    no, hes not going off lead!

piglet, the situation is a novice practicing on a learner, not a good combination. so yes, wishywashy, or rather he doesnt do it by the book and you dont have an answer to it so you become unsure what to do. i dont know why i put the ‘you’ in there, i mean me, lol.

the heel work was said as you have put it.

i have to say though that i took him out for a 10 min walk down my (quiet) cul de sac with treats and he was the best hes been *touches wood type head that i havent tempted fate*, even left a man. yes he was other side of road but its narrow and he was whistling, loudly.

Anonymous

Hi,

I think its next week deebee 🙂

yep – i know what u mean … it was like the blind leading the blind with my first dog it took me over 2 years to get him to walk to heel and essentially i was doing the same thing turning round – just not using cues and not taking charge of things 🙂 

i wish i had a video of my first session outside with bev – you guys would have hysterics honestly even i can smile about it now and u know how serious i am 😉

good good good TAKE THOSE SMALL BREAKTHROUGHS !!!  they’ll do mighty fine to congratulate yourself and the bigger ones will follow 🙂

Claire x

kizkiznobite

hi deebee and max dog  :-*

right

dee

give me a clear consise list of where you are at…and what you getting at what criteria…so for example

sit verbal criteria 2 8/10
    whistle down criteria 1 6/10

etc…

we always knew that the outside leash stuff would be hard…

i have to say though that i took him out for a 10 min walk down my (quiet) cul de sac with treats and he was the best hes been *touches wood type head that i havent tempted fate*, even left a man. yes he was other side of road but its narrow and he was whistling, loudly.

so…this is the criteria he is at now for the leash walking…..i did say the reward is the walk …but i also said that once he has done say to 6th lampost and he had his sniffs etc then he can have a bingo…but i dont think it a good idea to use clicker and treats as per norm outside yet…are you still making it to the shops to sit and watch the world go by?

remember i said work up the criteria…only move a criteria when you got 8/10…in the meantime if he gets stir crazy then take him in car find somewhere no other dogs give him a belt about but dont use any cues that are being trained in….

claire…this isnt a clicker problem…dee understands the clicker use…the problem is that the boyo has an 8 week brain with 8 week behaviours inside an 8 month body with hormones…he has had no joy of playing and greeting etc…he isnt pushing buttons…he is catching up

deebee

Hi Kiz

oh blimey where to start,

whistle recall in house/garden C1/2 10/10
    nosetouch C1/2  10/10
    whistle sit C1/2  8/10
    verbal sit C1/2  9/10
    visual sit C1/2  10/10
    whistle down C1/2  4/10
    visual down C1/2  9/10
    dead (to hand) C1/2  7/10
    wait C!/2  8/10 C3    8/10
    close C1/2 3/10
    leave C1/2  9/10 C3 4/10

have used whistle recall when off lead and no distractions and he is 10/10
    cant think of any others

the lead walking was getting frustrating as he took no notice of turning or stopping, if anything the turning would get him going faster. i would stop and wait, then walk on and he would skip ahead. lungeing at peolpe has got worse as he now is lungeing up at them, not just trying to get to them.
    have not taken the clicker with me outside.

i have been taking him up to and around the rec. thought this was a good idea. only when its quiet mind.
    i resisted treats but i couldnt see that carrying on as we were was doing him much good.

so should i be sticking to my 2 little cul de sacs and the bench by the shop then? i havent done the shop one for a week or so as there was a mum and baby there and so i went round the rec. have just carried that on.

nice to see you back Kiz

kizkiznobite

mmm ok…

so …the stopping when on leash…frustrating for who and whom…..how long did you hold out for??  🙂 mind me saying have stood for 45 mins looking at sky  😉 gets pretty boring after a while  🙂

rest sounds good …sounds about what i would expect

deebee

not him, thats for sure, ‘fine, ill just have a walk around you or sniff this’.  he has taken to mostly 7/10 times bringing himself back to me to heel the last few days.

when i say frustrating, i mean its like setting everything in place to print off a document , but it wont. there must be something that you havent done right, but you cant think for the life of you what it is.

deebee

i would just like to say a thank you to Izzie piglet doglover and kerry for talking me down when i needed it. my moods yoyo from optimism to pesimism pretty damn all the time.

on an optimistic note, i have not crated Max now for a week with hardly anything chewed!!
    he was crated at the drop of a hat before and was never left uncrated, including them going upstairs for 10 mins ‘because he chewed something’. i have been working for up to 4 hours a time out of the house and he has done very well. stuffed kongs and good timing, bulding it up out of crate until i felt he was ready.
    overnight, i hear a noise or two but its him amusing himself with a toy (or tea towel). *waits for backward step*

Anonymous

Hi,

thats great – you have achieved so much – its easy to forget these things 🙂

Claire x

well done! u will get there  :ok:  🙂

deebee

yes, when im in ‘that’ frame of mind its easy to only see the ‘failures’.

i seem to like the quote commas, must stop that.

wow well done you are doping great look at all those criteria’s you have 8, 9, 10/10 you are doing great and we all been there…still are there  😉 keep your chin up you’re doing great!  :ok:

deebee

cant stop looking at those 3’s and 4’s  :crazy:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime