Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

My Weapon Is A Dog

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion My Weapon Is A Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

Quoted from the BBC 3 website.

BBC THREE Thursday 21 May 2009

“My Weapon Is A Dog”

9.00-10.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree

On nearly every high street from Penzance to London and Glasgow to Belfast, there’s a new “must-have” accessory for some young men. Not the latest trainers or mobile phone, but fierce, snarling dogs.

Rickie Haywood-Williams explores the hip-hop and peer-pressure culture that has led to this growth in aggressive dogs in his hometown of London – on the streets and abandoned in shelters. He discovers that dogs are bred, bought, sold and given away with incredible ease.

In some cases dogs are deliberately trained and even abused to make them vicious. Methods of “toughening up” dogs include chain fighting and beatings. The owners claim it’s all necessary for protection – but are they always in control of their animals?

Rickie learns that the “Staffie”, formerly a dog of choice, is now being replaced by bigger, fiercer breeds as the dog to have. Shockingly, he discovers that the Pit Bull, the most notorious status dog of all, is back with a vengeance.

Rickie meets victims of vicious dog attacks to hear their reaction to the rise in aggressive dogs. He also visits vets at Harmsworth Animal Hospital as they desperately try to patch up dogs after they’ve been abused or neglected.

The film also seeks to understand the status dog culture from the owners’ point of view – examining the question of why so many young men want to be feared

Mudgie

I won’t be watching this one – it makes me really upset when I see disturbing stuff like this

Anonymous

I can relate to this.. In the town where I work in the West Midlands I have noticed that when walking around in my lunch break there are more and more youths with dogs parading about and congregating in certain parts of the town.  The dogs are usually all of a type (as are the youths I may add!) ie pit bull mixes, rotties, staffies and all seem to have large studded collars to make them look macho and are led around by chain leads.  I have even seen a group of lads baiting their dogs against each other.  I feel so sorry for the dogs because the inevitable is going to happen, a child or passer by is going to get hurt and then the dog will be put down and that particular breed will be forever publicised as being aggressive. I firmly believe there are no bad dogs – just bad owners.  These young people (not just confined to boys – I have seen girls parading their dogs too) do not realise the damage they are potentially doing to their dogs, even if the dogs are not aggressive people will perceive them to be that and another good dog is lost. 

I’ve put it on sky+  🙂

xtine

am with you Mudgie, sounds like it would upset me  :'(  >:D

.dodger.

i agree it probably will be quite an upsetting program but my views are that unless the general public face and acknowledge what is going on, how are things going to change? I’m hoping this program will touch on how these dogs are not the problem the people who have them are…

Or will it just put the fear of god into people again over certain breeds – the pic in my tv guide to go along with the article telling us about this programme…………a fierce looking rotti .

.dodger.

never thought about it that way, i suppose it’s all about how the program sets it up to be. Will have to wait and see 🙂

You will have to let us know Laura – I cant/wont watch it for fear of seeing any sort of dog fighting on there – not trying to avoid the issue just i know only to well how horrid it is – so will pass on this one. But do let us know what you think of the programme.

merrow

remebering how much i cried at lady and the tramp not sure if i can watch this although wil be intresting to see how the breeds are portrayed

we do have this a little in norwich a friend of a friend was walking along the river when a gang of lads had a staffy which then attacked and killed the mans wee yorky  :'( :'(

.dodger.

We have it here, loads of lads walking round with staffy’s but i have to say most of them are well trained – barely see any of them on lead as they just walking nicely next to their owner. The other side (people round my estate) run a mile when they see staffy’s. There was one running round the park a few months ago and everyone including my parents just hurried past it – i was out with dodger two days later and it found us. Was quite young and all he wanted to do was play. I brought him home with dodge and stayed with him in the back garden for the dog warden to come. The pup was micro-chipped and had been missing for about a week, which is about how long people had been saying it had been running round the park area for. All it took was one person to loop a lead around him and he could have been back with his owners much sooner 🙁

Anonymous

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=14249.msg267060#msg267060 date=1242498673]
    Quoted from the BBC 3 website.

BBC THREE Thursday 21 May 2009

“My Weapon Is A Dog”

9.00-10.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree

On nearly every high street from Penzance to London and Glasgow to Belfast, there’s a new “must-have” accessory for some young men. Not the latest trainers or mobile phone, but fierce, snarling dogs.

Rickie Haywood-Williams explores the hip-hop and peer-pressure culture that has led to this growth in aggressive dogs in his hometown of London – on the streets and abandoned in shelters. He discovers that dogs are bred, bought, sold and given away with incredible ease.

In some cases dogs are deliberately trained and even abused to make them vicious. Methods of “toughening up” dogs include chain fighting and beatings. The owners claim it’s all necessary for protection – but are they always in control of their animals?

Rickie learns that the “Staffie”, formerly a dog of choice, is now being replaced by bigger, fiercer breeds as the dog to have. Shockingly, he discovers that the Pit Bull, the most notorious status dog of all, is back with a vengeance.

Rickie meets victims of vicious dog attacks to hear their reaction to the rise in aggressive dogs. He also visits vets at Harmsworth Animal Hospital as they desperately try to patch up dogs after they’ve been abused or neglected.

The film also seeks to understand the status dog culture from the owners’ point of view – examining the question of why so many young men want to be feared
    [/quotes it just makes my blood boil why my dobermann has lovly nature but i know if any one tryed to injure me he would go in with all guns blazing and i would do the same for him all this film will show is a lot of unloved dogs and stupid yobs

kendal
    xtine

R saw a bit of it and was moaning about scumbags with their dogs.. I opted out

.dodger.

haven’t watched it yet, got it on tape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime