Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

natural/homecooked diet – including the now famous porridge …..

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked natural/homecooked diet – including the now famous porridge …..

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    puppyblues

Sorry brain overload I meant pork hock.
    ::) ::) ::)

Some people wont feed pork – I dont think Val does?? I feed it to Honey occasionally and never had a problem  🙂

kizkiznobite

the pork in this country is safe not sure about canada

I give Murph belly pork, there’s nothing he won’t do for belly pork  😀

plevna

can you give pigs trotters raw?

Gracie

i do, frozen first tho  😉  but some dogs, like Bevs dont like the raw skin, so she drys here in a very low oven, depends on the dog, try, if not dry it and give!

plevna

excellent. I’ll get some this afternoon. They eat the nail bits too then? blerg lol

😛

Gracie

yep, well gracie did!!  😮

labattsbaby

Kizkiz, this was going to be my next hit. Feeding the puppy home cooked as compared to store bought. I read that all dogs require different food. Is this generic for all dogs even toy dogs? Poms are generally very PICKY little eaters. I get a very good quality ground beef/pork mix here 99% fat free which is what I eat and intend to feed the little furry boy. What sorts of veges are good and which are bad? You mentioned lentils, I heard no beans or peas are good. Can you explain is this will work for the little guy? I want to wean him off what ever the breeder had him on which is commercial to home cooked.

kizkiznobite

each dog needs the same types of proteins – pups need one extra they also need other foods such as carbs vits minerals water etc etc

breed specific diets are diets based on what that breed was given when ‘invented’ this allows for intolerances to be be understood

some poms are known to be intolerant to chicken – it wasnt a natural food source but they thrive on red meats – not so much lamb

i do breed – individula diets but let the wee lad settle in first and take your time changing his food – do you know what he has been raised on?

there are hundreds of posts on here re feeding – work you way through them – type – barf natural feeding etc into the search engine

no cooked bones is the rule but if you decide to do home cooked food then a bone will help with the teeth

my client with the 2 feeds hers on cooked root veggies – raw carrots and cauliflower juiced into a mush with minced beef cooked barley and small terrier meal and gives chopped up beef bones to gnaw on – he will need fats – fat is what provide energy so anything that is 99% fat free is not good and it has also been messed with to get it fat free or it is very expensive cuts (which i doubt)  🙂

beans and peas are excellent for dogs so dont kjnow where you heard that – as long as the beans are washed well and pre soaked and cooked correctly – my lot love dried pea flakes  🙂

labattsbaby

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3650.msg154118#msg154118 date=1183121081]
    each dog needs the same types of proteins – pups need one extra they also need other foods such as carbs vits minerals water etc etc

breed specific diets are diets based on what that breed was given when ‘invented’ this allows for intolerances to be be understood

some poms are known to be intolerant to chicken – it wasnt a natural food source but they thrive on red meats – not so much lamb

i do breed – individula diets but let the wee lad settle in first and take your time changing his food – do you know what he has been raised on?

there are hundreds of posts on here re feeding – work you way through them – type – barf natural feeding etc into the search engine

no cooked bones is the rule but if you decide to do home cooked food then a bone will help with the teeth

my client with the 2 feeds hers on cooked root veggies – raw carrots and cauliflower juiced into a mush with minced beef cooked barley and small terrier meal and gives chopped up beef bones to gnaw on – he will need fats – fat is what provide energy so anything that is 99% fat free is not good and it has also been messed with to get it fat free or it is very expensive cuts (which i doubt)  🙂

beans and peas are excellent for dogs so dont kjnow where you heard that – as long as the beans are washed well and pre soaked and cooked correctly – my lot love dried pea flakes  🙂
    [/quote]

Dont know yet what he has been raised on but the woman said commercial.  I get good high grade beef and pork here, remember, this is Germany and we have many fresh butchers. I go to the butcher and watch them trim the fat off the meat for me, then grind it for me, so no funky stuff is taking place there, I also grind beef and pork, fowl etc for myself from very lean cuts. Sometimes half  of the cow is hanging in the slaughterhouse and you say which cut you want. you can literally buy half of the cow if you want or pig :o. I will put olive oil, fish oil and Omega fatty oils in his food makeup. Also heard peanut butter is a good source as well as other nut oils.

Can you feed them mushy peas mixed with rice, carrots and meats? I intend to grind the turkey breast, and again, we get lean turkey breast here that I eat myself. Remember, in the wild when they predate before they were domisticated they didnt have fatty meats, most willd animals are lean and not fat like what you see in commercial places. I also head you can give RAW chicken bones? YUCK 😮 I thought NO bones or they choke?

What I would like to do it have a good organic dry dog food at all times for him IF he feels to nibble, as they tend to eat like birds :-[ and feed him three healthy home cooked meals a day. Snacks inbewteen but also home made to avoid toxic preservatives. You will cringe at what goes into Dog Food 😮

What I would like are good healthy recipes as I have not done this myself, but have heard many are now doing this. Dog food was only invented in the 1930’s 8)

kizkiznobite

i think you need to read some more posts

have you read feeding bev’s on a rant  ;D

he may be intolerant to turkey – and no turkey skin at all – it upsets the pancreas

he needs meat fats – honest  🙂 and they did/do eat the fats in meats – if i give mine a venison or lamb carcass the fat goes first – then the offal then the lean meat and bone  🙂

dogs get their instant energy from fats

and i dont do dried – not even organic dried – the fact it is organic is meaningless – it still crap in a bag  🙂

he can have mushy peas as long as they are home done with no sugar or salt in

a good healthy recipe is the porridge  🙂

i think you need my diet info  🙂

Anonymous

I have three small dogs they eat the same as my big dogs with just slight ajustments they can take more red meat and offal that the beardies I never leave food down and all there food is fresh they get bones two three times a week have been feeding small dogs this way for over forty years, My small dogs would not have the energy to keep up with the beardies wothout fat in their diet.
    You are aready making your Pom a fussy dog before you have him home trust me unless you tell him he’s small he will have no idea he will think he’s a big dog
    Val

labattsbaby

[quote author=Val link=topic=3650.msg154167#msg154167 date=1183128372]
    I have three small dogs they eat the same as my big dogs with just slight ajustments they can take more red meat and offal that the beardies I never leave food down and all there food is fresh they get bones two three times a week have been feeding small dogs this way for over forty years, My small dogs would not have the energy to keep up with the beardies wothout fat in their diet.
    You are aready making your Pom a fussy dog before you have him home trust me unless you tell him he’s small he will have no idea he will think he’s a big dog
    Val
    [/quote]

Well that is why I came here, for guidance. I have never fed one of my doggies home cooked except the German Shepard and he also had bagged food and several times a week huge bones from the butcher, but that was back in the US.

So tell me about these bones? Raw bones with marrow? What kind of bone? and I keep seeing chicken wings 😮 raw? Arent the bones in chicken wings too dangerous ???. When should I start this puppy on bones and if when how big and what kind and shape

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime