Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Need Some Help

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Need Some Help

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    *Lassie*

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=13697.msg260772#msg260772 date=1234889651]
    ;D ;D will do – anyone seen diesel recently? ???
    [/quote]

You could always PM him 😉

.dodger.

what is going on with me today 😀 ::) Must be all the hair dye :laugh:

Justine&Rafe

Not trying to hijack – honest!  And Laura this isn’t aimed at you trying to convince you to do it, do what you feel’s best, and stick by your decision!  I’m just defending my use of it!

Rafe’s 43kg and strong, but not really naughty.  I have better control on the lead round my shoulder and side as long as I am alert (because you have great control if they pull forwards, but not so much if they yank you backwards), because if he pulls I can lean my entire weight into it, just like before I had this lead I’d occasionally have to put the lead behind my back and lean back on it to stop him taking off…  When just holding the lead in my hand, I don’t have as much strength, and when he pulls, it twists your body so that you are being pulled sideways – off balance.  And with both hands free I can prevent him from pulling a lot easier than I used to.

It takes great self control to have hold of a lead in your hand, and not pull on it if your dog starts going ahead of you – I just couldn’t manage it, and it was getting me (and him) more and more frustrated as we tried to work on heel.

Honestly, it works for me and Rafe, but perhaps you have to see that to understand how!!

Just a thought – they have special set ups for huskies and other sled-pulling-type dogs, whereby they attach the dogs to belts that people wear around their waists – and they are very pully strong dogs!!  Think they a bit different tho as may be designed to pull the people!!

.dodger.

I think my concern with it is that even if i was fully aware of everything dodger did (so i could prepare myself should he lunge you) can’t always control other peoples dogs. What if you are just about to go round a corner and a dog comes running out past you and Rafe decided to chase after it. To have 43kg of weight pulling against a perticular part of your back is sure to do some damage :-\

*Lassie*

To have 43kg of weight pulling against a perticular part of your back is sure to do some damage

You could also get dragged down the road 😮

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=13697.msg260780#msg260780 date=1234891962]
    To have 43kg of weight pulling against a perticular part of your back is sure to do some damage

You could also get dragged down the road 😮
    [/quote]

:scared:  😮

Justine&Rafe

His lunging isn’t that bad – I have absolutely no fear of him taking off with me down the road!  Nor of him tearing after another dog.  The closest is if he dives for leaves, but it’s no more of a jerk than if I were holding his lead with my hand.  Think you’d have to be there with us to know what I mean!!

If Dodge is the type to take off, and really take off with you, not just strain at the end of the lead, then you’re right, it wouldn’t be the best idea!!

However, if you had a skateboard, you could christen a new extreme sport – dodgeboarding!!!  ;D

.dodger.

lol sounds good! :yes:

Dodger isn’t one to run after a dog…. he’s one to be walking nicely along side, then as the last possible moment make a lunging jump towards the dog. No more than a human step away but the amount of muscle and weight behind him, it tips you off balance for just a second before you can correct him. He’s very unpredictable which is why i couldn’t trust him tied round me. I personally wouldn’t recommend it or do it but if it works for you and Rafe then it’s your decision to do it 🙂

dodgeboarding  :surprise:  😀 😀  ;D

*jody*

If you can a really good book I had (but have consequently lent to someone off another forum with a rude GSD) is Patricia McConnells Feisty Fido.  Its only a little flimsy book but it is brilliant and covers all about dogs being a little rude on lead especially.

I originally was recommended it for Amber.  It explains in real easy to understand terms about ways to go about it, teaching a ‘look at me’ command so that the dog looks ta you rather than focusing on other dogs.  With Amber even though hers was a slightly different problem, I was always told turn around and walk the other way if I havent got time to manage the situation 😉

Dante can still be very in-yer-face with meetings and hasnt got the greatest of manners but he is improving, his greet used to be whacking his head over the other dogs neck straight away  😮

Justine&Rafe

Danhappy – Yep, I use a “watch” command for Rafe – works REALLY well.  A bit like leave, it gets the focus off the other dog, but where it beats leave is that the focus has to be centred on you, so they can’t be watching the other dog.

I did it by bringing a treat up to my mouth and clicking when he was looking at my mouth.  Now I just bring my finger up to my mouth and say “watch”.  Is a good one to have if you don’t already, and v easy to teach.

Sweetypye

so maybe it’s in his character to be quiet an assertive and controlling dog
    Sorry but your dog’s behaviour does not lead me to believe that your dog is a quiet and assertive, controlling dog.

He is certainly not confident, hence his hackles.

A truly assertive/controlling dog does not have to behave in this manner.

Whatever your dog’s genetic make up, you can choose to minimise or maximise these traits.

.dodger.

I don’t really understand that comment about his confidence Sweetypye ??? On the sheet i have from Bev about dog’s body language dodger is clearly A.

A This is the assertive, challenging posture: The ears are up, the tail is raised, and the chest is puffed out. It is trying to become as large as possible. By this position, the dog is saying, ‘Im the manager and want to be in control of this situation’ to another dog, and sometimes a person. It is a communication of confidence, and how the second dog or person responds will determine the outcome. If the second dog or person does not offer appeasement or disinterest then it is possible and attack will occur.

I can see dodger doing each step when we are out on a walk.

Sweetypye

hackles are not the sign of a confident assertive dog.

.dodger.

what are they a sign of then? i’ve always thought they were used to make a dog appear larger ???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime