Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

new to this

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Hello and Welcome  🙂

what r peoples views on flyball? my dog is tennis ball obsessed and is brill at retrieve. however hav heard and seen can really hype them up not only at flyball but also has bad effect on behaviour at home/elsewher.

*Lassie*

[quote author=dogloverwoooo! link=topic=12150.msg234073#msg234073 date=1217710160]
    what r peoples views on flyball? my dog is tennis ball obsessed and is brill at retrieve. however hav heard and seen can really hype them up not only at flyball but also has bad effect on behaviour at home/elsewher.
    [/quote]

Wags will be the best one to answer that but I think that is untrue 😉

Diesel73

Hi and welcome from me too.

Anonymous

Hi,

flyball is an environment which does really hype up dogs – lots of shouting, barking and alot of other dogs / people all around.  BFA flyball (where the dogs collect ball from in a box) can cause really nasty injuries if not trained properly to legs/feet and jaws so you need to be aware of how your dog is running onto the box.  Crufts flyball (where the ball is launched) doesnt requre the dog to do this but it can encourage some dogs to jump and twist for the ball so again – its knowing your own dog and being safe in training.

i know plenty of flyball dogs and yes – there are ones which are hyper at home, they’re hyper hyper dogs – bred and fed to be up up up.  I also know lots that spend most of the time as family pets happily pottering about and only get “in the zone” at flyball training/comps. 

I have a tennis ball obsessed dog which has been begged to train and run with 3 teams now even tho I have never trained her.  One thing I would say is watch the guarding instinct as whatever obsession / guarding level your dog is at now it WILL increase if you dont manage carefully

claire x

moonbeam

Hi and welcome from me and my boys. 

Not heard that about flyball before, think it would depend on the dog and how they are handled at home, be interesting to hear what other people think.

Solli (11½) and Whisper (nearly 8) love their agility classes.  Solli is enthusiastic about obedience classes, Whisper on the other hand only gets excited when doing recall or scent discrimination.  Caleb (approx 6 months) is coming along nicely on the obedience side of things and making up for having no training at all before he came here a month ago.

she is brill behaved everywhere, home and out. i teach ob and agility so was thinking may go along and have a look at some flyball sessions as its something i’v not looked into much… il have a think about it  ::)

-Alison-

[quote author=dogloverwoooo! link=topic=12150.msg234073#msg234073 date=1217710160]
    [/quote]

hello and welcome from me too.

I have one like that, tennis ball obsessed and great with a retrieve. My neighbours over the road travel all over the country with their labradoodles to do flyball and have long encouraged me to try my spaniels at it. I recently took Griffon along to watch a session and Ive decided against it. As Claire points out the type of environment there is very loud and sort of ‘in your face’ and its just totally the wrong sort of situation for Griffon plus hes got an old injury to a front paw that I worry might cause him a problem if he over stresses it

yes the environment is a bit of a concern  ::) nice to hear labradoodles are involved tho, i recently spoke to some1 about flyball who thought i was totally mad for even considering it as i would be using my lab. however the same person also thought i was mad for competing in agility with a lab but we proved her wrong!  ;D

hi and welcome, i’ve seen all sorts doing flyball i would love for beau to do it but the nearest spot to me is wag’s and thats probably about 2hrs from here  ::)

😮 oh thats a shame, very long way to travel! are there no clubs at all nearer to you then?

Anonymous

Hi,

I would urge caution for a labrador if there is any chance hips or elbows are not 100% i would also think about spine for BFA as turns onto the box are tight as lanes are not very wide and i wouldnt think a lab naturally turns “in half” like this ?

naturally there will be people with labs competing – waggi’s meg is a lab x but much smaller and slighter in comparison.

this is one reason why flyball irks me – 18 weeks old labrador puppy “getting used” to the environment …

Claire.

all hips etc fine, tested. shes a lab from workin lines, very slight and athletic. in aglity comp soon so wil concentrate on tht first 🙂 thanx for views

Anonymous

ooooooo just how i like ’em 🙂

i bet she’s great at agility have you got any video’s of you in action ?

as she’s a gundog what about considering something gundoggy to do with her ?

would she like tracking – that would be different to ag and ob working different muscles and in a more balanced way ?  we have a tracking teacher extrordinaire on here who i’m sure could give you some more info 🙂

yea thats something else to think about doing with her. again i have alot of exp with ob and ag but love to try something knew! r you the claire that lives in the northants area?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime