Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Paw Licking

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Paw Licking

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mechi

My dog keeps licking her front paws, I’m pretty sure there is anything wrong with them such as allergies or a rash, but rather she’s doing it for the same reason people bite their nails. Anyway, how do I get her to stop because it’s really annoying? Does anyone else have this problem with their dog?

————————–
    http://dogshop.50webs.com

kizkiznobite

have they been trimmed of late

.dodger.

have you checked in between the pads/toes for any redness or something stuck? Is it all four feet or just a certain one?

Anonymous

can we have a pic of the paws ?

where do you usually walk (park / fields / road …)

what do you feed ?

is it any particular time such as when shes gonna be left etc …..

claire x

mechi

It’s not the nails. She’s only licking the 2 front paws. There isn’t anything there but I noticed the skin is starting to get pinkish from that licking, I don’t want her to end up with sores. To me it seems like she  is just in the habit of licking because she will lick my hands the same way that she licks her paws. It’s like she has to lick something. She stops when I tell her to but then she’s back at it again.

—————————-
    http://dogshop.50webs.com

.dodger.

what breed of dog is she? From what i remember if if she is white there is something in a dog’s saliva that turns the hair pink. That’s why you can see westie’s with the pinkish/brownish/redish feet.
    Do you have any picture’s of her feet>?  Also what do you feed her? and as claire said where abouts do you usually walk her. I know the local woods round here make my dogs feet incredibly itchy, they can sometimes lick them raw red because of the mud up there although it usually dies down after a good wash and a day’s rest from the licking.

Anonymous

There are two reasons for a dog to lick it’s feet one is pain not necessarily in it’s feet and the other is diet more info to help with either
    Val

Val – what about boredom………. :-\

.dodger.

or attention? :-\

Anonymous

Dogs usually sleep and doze and sigh a lot from boredom they don’t think I’m bored OK I know I will lick my feet they may eat the chair legs but not their own feet
    Val

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12484.msg241474#msg241474 date=1221770556]
    Val – what about boredom………. :-\
    [/quote]

oh ok

Anonymous

not meaning to be devils advocate here but i have known some dogs that appear to develop repetative behaviours from stress (from lack of stimulation perhaps??) or where they have previously had a problem and then just carried on the behaviour as in classically conditioned type behaviours

having said that i do also think that provided there are no salient stimuli (prefer not to think they’re bored – maybe they are?) my dogs do just settle down sleep/doze/sigh – William does, Bonnie did eventually and then Misty just about got there too – even mad bertie the bouncy crazy cairn got there eventually!!  Its one of the markers I use for when they’re de-stressing from rescue. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime