Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pedigree dogs exposed 19th August BBC1

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News Pedigree dogs exposed 19th August BBC1

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=12209.msg237239#msg237239 date=1219235413]
    No but they could do what they do on the continent and conduct a suitability for breeding test.

So eg Weimaraners that had no hunting instinct (and I have met a few) would not be bred from.

Unfortunately the vast majority of pet owners in the UK could not cope with a working bred dog…………
    [/quote]

If dogs were bred to perform their original purpose would that not eliminate many health problems since an unhealthy dog wouldn’t be able to perform?
    I know that’s oversimplifying things but still…

I take it that gundogs and pastorals were not well represented in this show, mainly lap dogs?

There are gundogs that are in serious trouble as well, the Weimaraner springs to mind first. Not necessarily for health reasons although I’m sure that will come, but for a serious dilution of their original purpose.  The Weims I see in this country are what i call “nothing dogs”. They have no interest in anything other than walking beside their fashionable owners looking like some extended handbag or Gucci shoes.  This disturbs me almost as much as the health problems in other breeds.

If people want Champion dogs they should need a Ch on each end of the dogs name…conformation and field.

quote :

but that isnt the point surely..that fact remains that the dog as per breed has a standard that should match the ideal of why it was developed that way in the first place 

exactly!

*Lassie*

To anyone of the general public that was thinking about getting a dog that program has muddied the waters. The RSPCA vet said the Crufts was a show for the deformed and that x breeds are healthier, this sweeping statement will have more people going for ‘designer’ dogs. Why buy a Cavalier when they all have genetic brain and heart problems when you can buy a designer dog for the same money and that vet off the telly said they are healthier. I found the reference to the Nazis in very bad taste :-X The reference to old photos of different breeds – these were misleading in a way as a lot were from 1880 and most non dog people would say why can’t they be like that now, which were my OH’s words.It took years to c*** up these breeds and will take even longer if you want to take them back as they were, there is no quick fix.

wags

my show bred is more than capable of performing what he was originally bred for – far more than both my dogs bred by more working stock

and he does have the only CH in his line – for work and show as well as a good few SH CH’s

*Nick*

Which one is that Wags? Sorry I can never keep your dogs straight  :-[   

I am in no way saying that beauty and conformation should be eliminated, and a “show” bred dog doesn’t have to be useless in the field just as a “working” bred dog doesn’t have to be butt-ugly!  Right Sadie?
    that’s right! no matter what my breeder says !  😛

Mudgie

so what do we do with the dogs that dont meet breed standard then  ??? even if they do come from good lines –  there should be more monitoring and education for breeders but past experience and a grip on reality surely dictates that this is a long way off.

Breeders who continue to breed from dogs that have genetical problems or health problems should be prosecuted and not allowed to breed in future but wags is right there is always going to be pups sold in a pub or signs in a street and when you look out there in your neighbourhood it is not ideal.  Education is only a useful tool if people want to learn and for the most of the population a pup at £100 is more attractive than one at £750 if it is only as a pet  😀

this one tugs at the heart strings a bit – there are no easy quick fixes

Diesel73

It’s in our newspapers today. Story that is told not good. Story makes it apear as about all UK breeders are crap breeders, as breeding dogs in the UK is refered to as ‘a national sport’. Papers make it come across as e-ve-ry pedigree dog bred in the UK is full of hereditic deseases. Papers also say that, due to this breeding mam x son and father x daughter causing default pups, the BBC 1 is refusing to broadcast the Crufts as they represent inbred dogs with major health flaws. Shows like the Crufts are the reason the UK is breeding the dogs the way they do. Also a vet gave some sh.tty comment that here all pedigree parentdogs are geneticaly tested befor breeding………. Leaving us ofcourse with the assumption that about all breeders in the UK do not  ::) .

This is not good peeps  :-[ ……….. this is going worldwide (or atleast the whole continent here) and it makes it seem that UK breed pedigree dogs suck  🙁 . My sympathy goes out to the UK breeders that are doing a good job and are now internationaly being accused as being no better than backyard breeders and puppyfarmers  🙁 .

*Lassie*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d4ljk/b00d4l8y/

Nick this is the BBC iplayer link 😉

*Nick*

Thanks Lassie, found that earlier but unfortunately

quote :

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only

🙁

*Nick*

Thanks Foxy.I should learn to always check youtube!

Very glad it’s in 10 minute segments..just watched part 1 and now I’m so upset Sadie and I are going for a walk in the woods  🙂

Will work my way through it.

*Lassie*

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12209.msg237213#msg237213 date=1219211790]
    that sadly happens though waggi genes kick in from way back…and his breeder did her best by him and there are many breeders that do but the situation in the cavi world is clearly dire…the woman with the dog that won best in breed has put him to stud 26 times since he was diagnosed with syringomyelia….the breed club knew he had been diagnosed…the health secretary of the club made that clear…yet he got best in show…
    [/quote]

The woman with the best of breed winner was greedy but if the breed club knew then most of the club members must have known. I realise some of the bitches put to this dog the owners may not have been aware of it but some people who used this dog would have known, so why put a bitch with this dog ???

Anonymous

Well I sat and watch a totally biased programme, I was not suprised in anything that was said, I was sad as a breeder that has always health checked my dogs along with thousands of others I was so sad.
    I was dismayed at the experts, as I was amazed how used I felt the breeders have been, when these guy’s wanted to do research the responsible breeders stepped up to the mark and helped them do it, hope they can sleep well at night.

In my worst nightmare I never dream’t they would use holocaust comparisons there must be some sick s*d on the research team to come up with that.

As for filming the sick boxer and cavie sorry but the place for an epileptic dog should not be  in a room full of lights and heat with the camera’s rolling that to me shows total disregard for the dog.
    As that boxer was only two I would not think being so obesie was helping his problems, we all know the owners did not expect to own a dog with epilepsy but was it breed by a breeder that cared for the breed or was it pet bred or PF’ed no mention of that cos it did not suit,  who were they keeping the dogs alive for the dog or themselves???
    Joe public should be aware of these problems, doGyou all hear me bang on enough on here but they should also have been made aware that there are breeders trying to eradicate such problems.

The shock horror of breeders culling pups is nothing new, pups were dropped in a bucket when I was a child, and I am sure the white boxers still are else the pet market would not be selling them as rare but I do think the KC should do something about the ridgeback standard especially as it’s the most healthy dogs they are culling.

IMO a lot of responsibility for most of the extreme breeding rests on the heads of judges if these dogs did not win breeders would not breed them, I have always said judges make or break a breed if they are not sensible or they don’t have the balls to put up dogs that are true to the breed, then all is lost in a breed
    I have seen it happen in beardies they are now not the breed I fell in love with, the biggest thing the breeders worry about is how much coat they have, but as long as judges keep putting up these heavy boned yak coated dogs they will follow the path of other breeds as they do not need to be able to work why worry, it has got to the point that I could count on one hand the breeders that keep dogs that work as well as show.

As for the KC again have always said it’s run by a bunch of d**k heads and they only confirmed that last night when it was named by an old judge ‘The Charmed Circle’ many years ago she was spot on as long as the money rolls in what do they care, not a toss they have only just changed the wording on the tickets and most judges could not tell you what it says

If only they had put a few bit in the programme that there were good and caring people in dogs that really care about their breeds that health check way beyond what they need too and love their dogs whether they are KC breed standard or not, If only
    Val

lucysmom

I agree totally with you Val, it was completley biased.

Rachel and the gang!

wags

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12209.msg237258#msg237258 date=1219241903]
    Which one is that Wags? Sorry I can never keep your dogs straight  :-[   

I am in no way saying that beauty and conformation should be eliminated, and a “show” bred dog doesn’t have to be useless in the field just as a “working” bred dog doesn’t have to be butt-ugly!  Right Sadie?
    that’s right! no matter what my breeder says !  😛
    [/quote]

Oban – his great grandad was CH Locheil Look North – the only border collie to have ever passed the hearding tests and been a show champion

ive got an ISDS dog who has the herding ability of a piece of toast

Anonymous

Really Wags that Good

ive got an ISDS dog who has the herding ability of a piece of toast 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime