Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pedigree dogs exposed 19th August BBC1

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News Pedigree dogs exposed 19th August BBC1

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

As I said in my pm Val, I’ve been waiting for your input and you did not disappoint.  Very well said.  The Dog world needs many many more people like you.

.dodger.

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12209.msg237324#msg237324 date=1219268417]
    As I said in my pm Val, I’ve been waiting for your input and you did not disappoint.  Very well said.  The Dog world needs many many more people like you.
    [/quote]
    totally agree with you Nick.

I only managed to see the last 20 mins of the programme unfortunatly. Couldn’t believe how much the skull had changed on the bulldog and that the winning cavvie had sired 28 litters after he had been confirmed that he have head problem.

[quote author=Foxisle_crazy link=topic=12209.msg237291#msg237291 date=1219253447]
    Here you go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1LyjlX4Mp8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcUbCvS0ZEM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpR5su-PQ0g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDKwbWA5Tdg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szl30xomLXo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJffepQY3Y

Its in 10min parts
    [/quote]
    thanks for that laura – now i can watch it from the start 🙂

Izzie

Laura you can watch it fully on BBC Iplayer hon.

This programme has now started people off worrying about the inherited diseases, esp among some of the springer forums I belong too  ::)

.dodger.

thanks izz :-*

wags

[quote author=Val link=topic=12209.msg237305#msg237305 date=1219262792]
    Really Wags that Good

ive got an ISDS dog who has the herding ability of a piece of toast 
    [/quote]

uhm ok i was being a bit kind to the toast

Mudgie

just watched this in full – very upsetting about the cavaliers and the dogs in such pain with the epilepsy – very disturbing – just as well I watched it in parts as I was so upset and angry in parts that I had to pause the video.  :'(

Was left with the feeling of what a mess where to start ?  was most upset with the woman upset at the reporting entering the showring  ::)  >:(  This has started a lot of debate and hopefully something will be done to help improve the quality of dogs being produced.  Was absolutely intriguing seeing how much breeds had changed over the years. 

.dodger.

i’ve been trying to think how to describe what feeling it left me with and it’s pretty much just that.
    [quote author=Mudgie link=topic=12209.msg237344#msg237344 date=1219272873]
    Was left with the feeling of what a mess where to start ?
    [/quote]
    was in tears watching the boxer and the cavvies. :'(

dobielady

The Kennel Club needs to do something, the BBC were having a go at pedigree dogs and show people, some interviewed were not helping their breed but the KC is not whiter than white.

Why doesn’t the KC consider a ‘Fit to Breed Certificate’, where a dog must pass health (depending on breed) and temperament tests before their pups can be registered with the KC.  This was and still may the case in Germany where I bought my first dog from years ago.

If both sire and dam do not pass the tests, then the pups are sold with out any papers, like mongrels.

I know that many people are out to improve their breed, but it only takes 1 to make the rest look bad, especially when the public do not understand showing.

Prem2Pram

Anyone wishing to make a complaint to the BBC about the programme can do so via email the link can be found on their website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Anonymous
    quote :

n my worst nightmare I never dream’t they would use holocaust comparisons there must be some sick s*d on the research team to come up with that.

they could have used the time to show what some breeders are doing to ensure the health of their dogs-like the 5 DNA that responsible BC breeders have done on their breeding dogs as well as the clinical tests-yes the show BC breeders have changed the look & character of their BCs but they have not influenced the working BCs one bit in the look & character of their dogs.

IMHO show breeders have ruined the “show beardies””lovely straight floor length coats with straight partings down the back & head coat so thick they have to trim or even shave the hair between in eyes(not all show breeders but the vast majority of them)They have line bred to one dog & now have nowhere to go as he is in 90 % of the dogs pedigrees, they had to change the breed standard so that his offspring with very light eyes in all colours could continue to be successful. The old & original breed standard stated that the eyes should be brown, except in browns & fawns where it shoul follow the colour of the coat-it now states Syeyes to follow the colour of the coat-meaning the light slate dogs have light eyes, blues have light eyes etc etc

My Blue champion beardie had brown eyes, my brown beardies(much darker that the current doags)had brown eyes, my Slate beardie had brown eyes & my black beardie had brown eyes. How the h*ll does a black beardie have black eyes ???????

All the working beardies I have met have brown eyes irrespective of colour !

They needed a kind eye to be able to drive stock many miles to market, a light eye is not a kind eye

Anonymous

Yet again we so agree the times I have put eye testing clinics on this site over the years they have all been BC clinics, they are yet another breed that are working hard on problems within the dogs.
    As for my beloved beardies I spent the whole day at Bournemouth with the dobies and roughs I could not bear to watch the beardies I fear the last truly brown beardie has left the ring as a veteran he still wins the veteran stakes and yes Dy he has brown eyes with a lovely colour coat and you guess it could never get his title, he’s breed by a breeder that works her dogs on her own dairy farm, not what they want in the ring these days.
    I have been asked twice this year to judge them but after my last judging appointment I could not bear to have to put up a dog that in my heart and soul I did not like.
    Val

[quote author=Dyane Jones link=topic=12209.msg237541#msg237541 date=1219406380]

quote :

n my worst nightmare I never dream’t they would use holocaust comparisons there must be some sick s*d on the research team to come up with that.

they could have used the time to show what some breeders are doing to ensure the health of their dogs-like the 5 DNA that responsible BC breeders have done on their breeding dogs as well as the clinical tests-yes the show BC breeders have changed the look & character of their BCs but they have not influenced the working BCs one bit in the look & character of their dogs.

IMHO show breeders have ruined the “show beardies””lovely straight floor length coats with straight partings down the back & head coat so thick they have to trim or even shave the hair between in eyes(not all show breeders but the vast majority of them)They have line bred to one dog & now have nowhere to go as he is in 90 % of the dogs pedigrees, they had to change the breed standard so that his offspring with very light eyes in all colours could continue to be successful. The old & original breed standard stated that the eyes should be brown, except in browns & fawns where it shoul follow the colour of the coat-it now states Syeyes to follow the colour of the coat-meaning the light slate dogs have light eyes, blues have light eyes etc etc

My Blue champion beardie had brown eyes, my brown beardies(much darker that the current doags)had brown eyes, my Slate beardie had brown eyes & my black beardie had brown eyes. How the h*ll does a black beardie have black eyes ???????

All the working beardies I have met have brown eyes irrespective of colour !

They needed a kind eye to be able to drive stock many miles to market, a light eye is not a kind eye
    [/quote]

Val I wish more ‘judges’ was like you………..

Sam99

Hi guys, firstly sorry been away had mad two weeks at work arhhh not a day off!
    And yes I watched the programme, found it  pretty good to be honest, and yes it showed GSd’s with sloppy hocks, have to say also i found it a little bias, as not all  shepherds, *my breed” are  that lose are like that, yes I have germanic 2 of, and show but there not brought out a kennel shown and put back in a kennel, there pets also lie in my living room and have good runs, hence can tighten up some lose hocks by the way! Also the programme didn’t mention that the majority of GSD’ breeders are hip elbow scoring and DNA testing….? so most people will go to a BYB for a dog now theve seen this programme as there was no insight to the scoring bit? The king charles spaniel woman want’s shooting  knowing her dog was infected with SYRINGROHIMELIA:-” how many puppies are infected, and why do so many owners refuse to do the MRI scan….. suppose its bit like those who refuse to Hip Score. If they don’t know about it then there dog hasn’t got it to them” burying there heads in the sand so to speak!
    As for the ridgebacks, and the non ridge being perfectly healthy, wow amazed me must say, much like the White GSD yes people cull them which to me is so wrong, and cruel. AS for the KC i think thre a load of pompus gits who don’t have a clue!
    Sam

.dodger.

There certainly needs to be another half to the programme showing the good side of the pedigree world and giving the ‘good’ breeders who health test all their dogs the publicity they deserve. With that programme i don’t think that it’s going to help. It was an extreme programme showing the worst of the pedigree dogs and because of that they haven’t educated the public to find a breeder that does health test they’ve pushed them away completly – making them think that pedigree dogs are all bad.
    I think the instance of Val’s friend (who had 4 out of the 5 people change their mind about buying a pup from her even though the dogs were health tested) backs up the point about it turning the public away from pedigree dogs altogether.

Sam99

Yup on another forum, someone had rang a GSD breeder they where due to get a pup off and cancelled, then theres someone else who has had  her book dropped she was writing about pedigrees etc, and the agent has pulled the plug on that. Wonder if they will make a follow up documentary about how people ditched the pedigree dogs even though alot of breeders do health test, and how people have gone onto the puppy farms etc……… !
    Sam x

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime