Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Picking up the post!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Picking up the post!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

deebee

:nono: at least you thinking about it. youll get there with better help than me lol. bev just asked for some bev speak (think i failed she gone quiet, head butting a tree no doubt).

Anonymous

yep – probably 😀

(JOKE!!!!)

Anonymous

bev just means she wants it in terms of whats the behaviour, whats re-inforcing it and stuff…

Anonymous

perhaps i am thinking too hard

behaviour is being reinforced by the post man going away! = result achieved
    Person walks past=bark=go away=reinforced again
    So I need person walks past = so what then…..person knocks on the door = so what…… :crazy:

kizkiznobite

the postman rarely knocks on the door…what does he do?

not bad deebee…not bad at all  ;D

deebee

[quote author=Olliethecollie link=topic=13002.msg250498#msg250498 date=1226178348]
    behaviour is being reinforced by the post man going away! = result achieved
    Person walks past=bark=go away=reinforced again
    [/quote]

you getting there !!

[quote author=Olliethecollie link=topic=13002.msg250498#msg250498 date=1226178348]

So I need person walks past = so what then…..person knocks on the door = so what…… :crazy:
    [/quote]

think about this (oh my dog, im doing a bev) what would you do to distract from the learnt behaviour?

*Lassie*

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=13002.msg250500#msg250500 date=1226178562]
    the postman rarely knocks on the door…what does he do?

not bad deebee…not bad at all  ;D
    [/quote]

Puts post through the door, to break the cycle put an outside post box up 😉

deebee

actually, turn it around, what do you do when you are there and ollie hasnt chewed the post?

Anonymous

ollie wouldn’t!!! Meg would!! I wouldn’t do anything, say “thank you” for barkign and face stroke then pick it up!

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=13002.msg250443#msg250443 date=1226175231]
    you are totally right hilary as i said…100% right…in human speak…i want it in dog speak…and they are out of :order: as they clearly cannot remember …so do a big  😛
    [/quote]

I cant rememebr – bev i didnt know in the first place  😀 sorry h am not laughing at you – you doing better than i am – id have stamped feet and stopped guessing by now – but then i think its amusing if the Diva takes the poost and pretends to kill it…………..

Anonymous

We don’t get much post – but what we do get I need to have in one piece! And if she is doing it cos she is worried or upset then I need to make her happier! Come on – i’m past it now, my brain is all fizzled out and yes…I am guessing!! Never thought this post would end up like this!!! Thought you would all say-nah teach her to leave it! Which was my original suggestion to Ash but then I quite liked the idea of having my post on the table!!
    So I  :surrender:

kizkiznobite

have another beer  🙂 will answer tomorrow

deebee

[quote author=Olliethecollie link=topic=13002.msg250518#msg250518 date=1226180025]
    ollie wouldn’t!!! Meg would!! [/quote]

sorry, getting mixed up. im calling you ollie afterall  😀

kizkiznobite

ok…

postie and the way folk react and why the dog….etc

so scenario time …..

the dog is all quiet at home relaxing all nice after a walk or eating breccie or working a kong or in a deep sleep….

and then a real threatening noise starts…the trolley being pushed down the path, the clatter of other letters boxes, voices…the monster making all this racket looks fierce…bright jacket, hoods up in the rain, big bags that distort the shape, sometimes a bike and ….

it coming to my house…i need to protect my house and all in it …i need to warn them…i have to do my job and be a dog….and …….wayhey…yep…i did it…i am brave….i won…i did my job…me is a happy dog…me is good …the monster has now gone…look mum i did it see…..

where is my reward…what do you mean you are cross…i did it i did my job….i am confused…my body is telling me i have survived and we now safe….but you are cross and why you shouting…… :-\ :-\

nature takes over and the surge needed to be ready for the hunt/kill …protect/run ….kicks in….dog gets a huge shot of stress hormones and goes into action….

the biochemical stress system relies on two hormones … adrenaline and cortisol…to keep it simple the  adrenaline acts as an instant helper but cortisol has a huge driving force behind it and is in for the full ride and these both carry with them neurotransmitters that signal the brain…it is this stress reaction that is about survival… to all …hunters or hunted….it activates when there is danger or possible danger or any kind of threat…first is the trigger that releases the adrenaline into the bloodstream to prepare the body for action…to provide the extra strength and fast thinking required …the heart beats faster …breathing is shallower…senses become honed…this is the real flight or fight response in action and dogs learn from an early age to ‘stress up’ in anticipation of a possible danger …the more alert behaviour on a night walk for example…..as the adrenalin starts to reduce (remember that the instant get set go hormone) …the cortisol rises…and it takes ages for that to go back to normal …as this seesaw is happening then other stuff kicks in depending on what the outcome was…..so with success comes a feel good factor, a sense of achieving but with failure or external punishment then anxiety, sense of doom, low self esteeem, panic etc ..

so….all that has happened….more than once in most cases and then the learning kicks in and also if it happens a lot then dependency on the effect (the adrenaline junky affect)….

so in bev speak

postie comes
    threat alert
    dog reacts
    postie goes ( as they always do)
    dog wins everytime
    dog has to go through the ‘come’ down off the hormones has to cope with the seesaw…has to burn it off or go insane…so
    post gets ripped…part of the monster and it there…

dog doesnt understand that for the human the bad bit maybe just rippping up the post  ;D

so

back to you lot…how can this be sorted…and i dont mean a wall post box…unless you happy with management….for me this should never be managed with a post box etc for very good reasons but that my PO

have a fun debate…. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime