Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

plastic trays (naturediet/nature’s harvest) problem with recycling

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health plastic trays (naturediet/nature’s harvest) problem with recycling

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fesses

Hi there

Has anyone else delved into this?  Naturediet say their plastic trays can be recycled as part of household waste… I have looked into this. The plastic used is PS plastic (which by the way should not be used for containing foodstuffs which will be heated up. It should be PP plastic, but that is another matter) and this plastic cannot be recycled at the majority of councils and if they can, then it is only because it is sent abroad to be done.

I am aghast at the amount of plastic trays being thrown away then.  Awful thought… This is why Rachel’s yoghurts decided to change to a PET plastic which can be recycled.

Good argument for dried food.. or food in tins… but then it never seems such as nice.  I know naturediet food is gently steamed.

*Nat*

Well I certainly wouldn’t change to tinned food or most dry foods just because you can’t recycle the tray the better stuff comes in! Our council requests that no animal food packaging is put in for recycling so I guess it depends on your council as to whether they will recycle certain things!

**Woofums**

Mine get recycled as food dishes for Cat & Dog rescues.
    I only use the tray type when I’m on holiday or travelling with the Dogs though…so I only have about 30-40 a year.

fesses

Just had confirmation from my council that this plastic is not recycled (by a company called integra) because.. to cut a long story short.. the plastic will go abroad and they are not in control of what happens to it.

Suggested to natuediet that they amend their statement on their site about trays being able to be recycled. Plus the company was hit with a fine in 2007 for not recycling its industrial waste… 

Not as environmentally friendly as I thought..

I am erring more towards fish4dogs now anyway.

Sweetypye

I do not use Naturediet but Natures Harvest; I put their trays in the recyclable bin at Sainsburys, they do not seem to have a problem with it.

Diesel73
    quote :

to cut a long story short.. the plastic will go abroad and they are not in control of what happens to it.

Since when does anybody anywhere care what happens abroad when there is money involved?  ???

justpetdogs

Why not re-use them yourself?  Give ’em a good wash and stick them in the fridge/freezer with your leftovers and some cling film, they might make good seed-trays or slug traps, water bowls for the garden birds, containers for organising all the little bits-and-pieces that end up in everyone’s ‘junk’ drawers, etc.

(How sad am I?)  :embarrass:

Marion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime