Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Police dogs die in hot van

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News Police dogs die in hot van

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8129826.stm

Sickening!!  Don’t they have more sense?!  >:(

kizkiznobite

:'(

‘The force refused to say what kind of vehicle was involved’

why?  why not more transparency… :-\ obv not in a police dog transport vehicle…they well laid out…

and why left outside the polic headquarters…why not taken in…not as though they were even on a call…

-Alison-

>:( >:( >:( there is just NO excuse for that  :nono:

Sweetypye

Perhaps we should all wait for the FACTS to become available rather than jumping to conclusions based on the media? :agree:

kizkiznobite

yep SP…but the press have reported the statement from the police just as read out by the ass cc on sky news….

Peter Davies, the Nottinghamshire assistant chief constable….

“This is a tragic incident, and we value the important work our police dogs carry out on a daily basis.
    That is why we swiftly reported this incident to the RSPCA and we will be working with them very closely.  The dogs’ handler had not been suspended at this time “

added by news reporter…

The dogs’ handler was not on duty at the time and had called in to the force’s headquarters, leaving the animals to overheat in the parked car.

It is not known how long they were left in the vehicle. Temperatures in Nottingham hit 29.4C (84.9F) yesterday.

The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.

so clearly they were not in the police transport vehicle….

Val

The FACT is two police dogs died in a vehicle in a police station car park  :agree:
    Val

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=14431.msg269342#msg269342 date=1246534101]
    Perhaps we should all wait for the FACTS to become available rather than jumping to conclusions based on the media? :agree:
    [/quote]

Misty23

It’s being discussed on radio 2 at the moment, and the police say that the dogs were left in the handlers private car, I can’t believe somneone who should have more sense left the dogs in the car.

“I am sure this isn’t the first incident and it won’t be the last.”

they should put something in place to stop this from happening again :'(

emma_pen

That is utterly disgusting from those who are supposed to stop these situations. I hope whoever is responsible for the death of these dogs loses their job. The dogs must have been left completely unsupervised & suffering in agony.

Tell the force what you think by emailing them here:
    http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/contact/feedback/

And a petition:
    http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/prosecution-for-cruelty-to-police-dogs/signatures.html

Em

.dodger.

how sad :'( really no need for it at all – i can’t understand why people don’t take more care in these kinds of conditions. The poor dogs must have really suffered :'(

Been chatting to my customers about this and we all agree – is NO excuse, NO dog should have been left in ANY car in this weather – the very fact they are police officers just makes it even more digusting – they should know better – if we cant rely on THEM to get it right then is it any wonder members of the general public continue to f*** up as well  >:(

*Nat*
    Mudgie

Sorry but I dont agree.  The dogs died and that is truly tragic.  It wasnt deliberate and yes it should never have happened.  Remember these dogs are working dogs but they are also the pets of the police officer responsible for them.  Thoughtless yes but hindsight is a wonderful thing and lessons have been learnt. 

I have made mistakes with my dogs too and thankfully none of them have resulted in their death but hey ho Nacho could have died from bloat or gastric torsion.  Bluebell could have died when she jumped the wall.  I was responsible for them both.  Was any of it deliberate?  No it wasnt.  Could I have prevented it – in hindsight probably most certainly BB accident.  Did I beat myself up about it – yes over and over but how tragic would it have been if BB had died from internal injuries.  Would have prosecuting me changed the situation.  No.  I believe that this man, police officer or not, has learnt his lesson the hard way.  No amount of discipline could make him feel any worse than he already does or change the situation. 

Npe sorry Mudge – you didnt KNOW BB was going to jump over a wall ( hell most of us have been there Honey did it to a 6 foot drop i was lucky SHE didnt break a leg) And you certainly didnt know Nooch was going to get bloat etc

However as a responsible dog owner/handler he DID know without a doubt that leaving those dogs in a car could result in their death – if he didnt know then what the hell is he doing handling them for the police. And for that very reason i hope they throw the book at him – otherwise it makes a mockery of every effort anyone makes to try to stop people leaving dogs in a car.

Mudgie

My point is he didnt do it deliberately.  It was thoughtless.  He certainly wont be thoughtless about it again.  He is distraught.  Prosecuting him anymore is nothing to how he is prosecuting himself.

I make mistakes, he made a mistake.  But that is what it was a mistake that unfortunately took away his best friends. He was longer in the office than he thought, it was warmer than he thought, he will most certainly lose his job but will that bring the dogs back.  No.  Dont think anyone, the system or anything could prosecute or persecute him more than he is doing himself. 

Let’s agree to disagree.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime