Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Positive punishment

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Positive punishment

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

mmm…my q would be why use it in the first place when R + is a better option…had R + been used at the start re sheep then there would not be a reason to use a bottle full of stones…it aint rocket science…my wee boy…we up north where we go on hols…he 5 months…we do sheep not allowed…no punishment…no aversive…we all fine with livesock…took 10 minutes…

so your boyo…are you saying he has a sheep problem ?

Anonymous

I have never had a sheep worrier as I have always worked the way Bev has get then young, even with working dogs you have to have them off livestock before you can put them on to work.
    Have never used a bottle in fact in this house my girls love a bottle with bits of stuff in them they rattle them all over the place

Anonymous

oooh now this is interesting,

what if you guys had a crossover adult dog to train moving sheep ?  still R+ but how do you keep the focus and what reward is higher than all the very high ones ?

claire x

Anonymous

Always started with pups and I never give tit-bit rewards for doing what comes naturally my praise is enough but before they are sent onto sheep, geese whatever they are trained with tit-bits to work off the left or right, and all the usual distance control dropping etc, the best training I have ever found is working with an older dog especially a mother and daughter.
    With them I can just lean on a gate and have a fag  ;D we are starting with a young beardie and Eshia after Xmas as long as she’s fit Eshia that is not the pup my farmer friend has got a young one at last off a litter of farm beardies at Woole the guy there works four and he bred one
    Val

Anonymous

Hi,

I was thinking of Bonnie – would she still learn off a more experienced dog even though she isnt a sheepdog?  I’m not thinking of entering her in 1 man and his dog, just go into a field (about an acre) collect all the sheep (100 or so) and bring them to a trailer.

Claire x

kizkiznobite

mmmm…first find your farmer  ;D

Anonymous

hi,

sure my uncle would let me erm… borow his sheep they are near crick on the warks/northants border 🙂

claire x

kizkiznobite

then borrow them…and i can proof boyo on ‘no we do not chase sheep even if bonnie is as some dogs can but you are one that cannot’  ;D ;D

kizkiznobite

but…first you have to get left and right and away and down and bring in 100% as i dont need my baby boyo learning bad habits like cue breaks  ;D we got enough with my balls up of the gates  ;D

Anonymous

MMmm 100 try six  :ok: six is good but she must have a stand off, off lead and all the rest the best way would be you train her with the cue’s and let a shepherd try her as I would think she will be fast.
    You can do some whistle work at the same time
    Val

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12543.msg242968#msg242968 date=1222678834]
    Hi,

I was thinking of Bonnie – would she still learn off a more experienced dog even though she isnt a sheepdog?  I’m not thinking of entering her in 1 man and his dog, just go into a field (about an acre) collect all the sheep (100 or so) and bring them to a trailer.

Claire x
    [/quote]

wags

100 sheep on 1 acre  :scared:

dogwood

we do think rattles, discs and spray collars (not shock) have a time when to be used,

We had a friends grey hound come to stay, she is a lovely thing, very well behaved, well until recently, started to pick up a bad habit… stealing bread, and of course the owners forgot to tell us. Here’s how we found out, one day i looked out of the window to find her in the back garden munching her way through a  loaf of bread, luckily she was not to ill just a bad case of dyeria. By the way bread was in a sealed container on our work surface.
    Anyway the solution we found was a tin filled with coins, we placed the bread on the floor, every time she went towards it we shook the tin, next we left the bread on the work surface with the tin of coins on top of it, we then left the room. suddenly we heard the tin fall to the floor, yes you guessed it she had another attempt at the bread. only this time she did not like the noise of the tin falling to the floor and ran into another room, all we have to do now is leave the tin by the bread and she will not go near it. (the tin to her is a no go area) 

Sweetypye

Unfortunately this may be far too punishing for some sound sensitive dogs, this is the trouble when one does not consider all the variables within the context of an individual dog and applies a one size fits all approach.

there are better ways,  :agree:

why punish the dog for the owner’s failure to manage the environment? :nono:

If the bread was not there, the dog could not “steal” it, in fact a dog is not stealing it is merely acting as a dog will, eat when there is food one does not know when the next meal is coming from.

In this case it is the owner who has bad habits, not the dog!

kizkiznobite

how sad…is the owner of the dog happy for you to punish in this way?

Mudgie

okay I am severely jetlagged so next time I am on if someone remembers please bump this for me. 

And the post title will show where I am coming from – Positive and Punishment in the one sentence – eh I dont think so  >:(

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • The topic ‘Positive punishment’ is closed to new replies.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime