Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Positive punishment

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Positive punishment

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Dree

[quote author=Kerry_and_Beau link=topic=12543.msg243503#msg243503 date=1222978892]
    dree when you snapped and hit the dog, what did you think feel afterwards? i know you have explained that the dog stopped nipping as a result and so it was kinda ok but how did you feel yourself?

and lassie when you snapped and hit your baby how did you feel afterwards?

have either of you thought oh my god how could i have done that? did it make you re think about how you are yourself how you deal with things? did you learn to try to avoid being in that same situation again?
    [/quote]

Hi Kerry,

First of all, I didn’t snap.  (If I’d snapped I would have gone further than one smack?)  And I have never done it again, so I hope that answers your question.  I am constantly trying to improve myself, and the way I deal with others….I know my own short-comings only too well.  But I don’t feel terrible guilt about what I did, to be perfectly honest.  The dog was not traumatised by what happened, and I’m a very “What’s done is done” person, and I get on with life.

I would just like to say that I am sorry that you reached a point in your life when suicide seemed the best way out.  I had a time in my life (after a very serious accident) when I wanted to do just that, so I can empathise to some extent.  I hope life is good to you both to make up for the hard times.  Take care of yourself.  You’re worth it.

I think its very easy to overreact quickly to posts made on a forum. I can only suggest if a post rubs you up the wrong way – go take 10 minutes to think it through before posting. Sometimes a bit of time to think can prevent you making posts you may later regret.

I think so far everyones keeping it very nice so carry on.  🙂

*Lassie*

GSP the comments were not aimed at you 😉
    I was called insulting and rude – it doesn’t get much more personal
    I am sorry that your discussion has been turned into a point scoring war that was not my intention but I couldn’t stand by while someone who made an honest confession was attacked  by people out for the kill.

I think so far everyones keeping it very nice so carry on.

??? ??? Maybe it’s best if I leave this forum because I don’t think it’s been ‘nice’ on this thread

Sorry Lassie but its a debate – I dont think people have been overly rude, just some things taken out of context and people feeling sensitive about certain things.

While you dont agree with some they dont agree with you – it makes no one wrong.

At worst i think the threads gone a wee bit off topic in places.

Dree

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12543.msg243527#msg243527 date=1222981905]
    Sorry Lassie but its a debate – I dont think people have been overly rude, just some things taken out of context and people feeling sensitive about certain things.

While you dont agree with some they dont agree with you – it makes no one wrong.

[/quote]

It may be a debate, but from my position it’s a bit overwhelming. It would seem that there are people on here who think that what I did was the end of the world.  That one action has been compared to using an electric collar.  ??? ???  My name should be changed to Cesar Milan. (Umm, wish I had his money?  ;D)  I obviously, according to some, should not be near dogs, never mind training them.  ::)  Just as well I have a thick skin.  😉

*Lassie*

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12543.msg243527#msg243527 date=1222981905]

[/quote]

Lassie – interesting you think i am wrong for ‘reacting’ when you are just as insulting and rude.

I simply asked who her question was aimed at  ::)
    As far as I am aware that is neither rude or insulting, and if I was Dree I would be very hurt with some of the comments made.
    I don’t think it’s being over sensitive when you are told that as a trainer you should be able to stop a dog biting you without being compared to CM 🙁
    if people acted so aggressively to your posts you would not be happy, she is a new member – what kind of impression are we making? or do  you all want to keep it as a very select club – to learn you need as much input as possible.

No one says anything when she questions Bev so thoroughly – like ive said before what stands for one stands for all.

Dree

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=12543.msg243498#msg243498 date=1222978155]
    No I dont understand – what I dont understand is how anything regarded as punishment could be positive – and as far alpha female being in control then yes I do relate to that  🙂 – when a human hits a dog or punishes a dog then there is no reward or control – not in my opinion anyhow.
    [/quote]

So a dog using punishment in order to control is okay….because nipping is punishment.  But if a human uses punishment (albeit unintentionally) that is not?  😉

Mark – Yes please to the Cheesy Wotsit.  🙂

Dree

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12543.msg243510#msg243510 date=1222980658]
    Overdoses… that takes me back… not taken one of those since I was 13…..
    [/quote]

Was this meant as a joke??  :-\

GSPmad

[quote author=Dree link=topic=12543.msg243545#msg243545 date=1222985534]
    [quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12543.msg243510#msg243510 date=1222980658]
    Overdoses… that takes me back… not taken one of those since I was 13…..
    [/quote]

Was this meant as a joke??  :-\
    [/quote]

No…..

Izzie

Stick to topic please ladies….

*Lassie*

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=12543.msg243542#msg243542 date=1222983714]
    No one says anything when she questions Bev so thoroughly – like ive said before what stands for one stands for all.
    [/quote]

So because she questioned Kiz she is fair game? Kiz is a strong enough character to stand up for herself and I am sure she likes a good debate.
    And Claire’s comment that I was insulting and rude to her? I take it that that comes under the heading of people feeling sensitive about certain things.
    Well that certainly puts me in my place 🙁

Dree

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=12543.msg243547#msg243547 date=1222985868]
    Stick to topic please ladies….
    [/quote]

Well, that’ll be unusual for this forum?  😉

Dree

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12543.msg243548#msg243548 date=1222986123]

And Claire’s comment that I was insulting and rude to her? I take it that that comes under the heading of people feeling sensitive about certain things.
    Well that certainly puts me in my place 🙁
    [/quote]

I never saw a post in which you were insulting or rude.  I even went back through the posts to try and find something I must have missed….but, nope, never saw it.  :confused:

wags

Uh Mark you giving out watsits

not giving out cans as well are ya ?

stella please and a bag of watsits – classy lass me  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • The topic ‘Positive punishment’ is closed to new replies.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime