Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Puppy Behaviour Study

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk Puppy Behaviour Study

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jo W

Hi

I am conducting a research project at the University of Lincoln which investigates the age at which different behaviours develop in puppies age 12 to 24 weeks, with the aim of discovering more about how behaviours change as puppies mature and which behaviours are more common than others.  I  hope that this will help us to further understand how to manage different behaviours.

I am hoping to recruit owners of puppies who are either around 12 weeks at present, or who will be within the next couple of months, to become involved.  This would involve filling in three questionnaires, the first when your puppy is 12 weeks of age and two follow-up qusetionnaires when your puppy is 18 weeks and 24 weeks of age.  Your personal details will be treated confidentially.

If you would like further details about the study, I would be really pleased to hear from you.  I can either be contacted by PM or at puppysurvey@googlemail.com

I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards

Jo

Jo W

Anyone…. please  :help:  🙂

Anonymous

I don’t think we have any baby pups on the board at the moment.
    I would of thought development depends on owners if you read some of the posts you will be able to see that.
    Val

Anonymous

hi,

puppy development would depend hugely on breed, breeder, owner, breed, nutrition, training … blimey its wide open.  i would imagine the best you’ll get is overlapping bandings (similar to child development) for example, from memory speech onset and walking for “an average child” is something like between 9 and 24mths.  however, in reality the “average child” doesnt exist its just a construction.

also, if you tell people you are treating their data CONFIDENTIALLY you will not be able to tell anyone – not even your lecturers under many of the common ethical research guidelines.  it is usual for data to be treated ANONYMOUSLY in projects such as this and that should be OK to get participants.

how are you planning your data analysis because from your brief i cant actually see what you’re going to learn except that “some puppies do some things all at different times” which isnt gonna give you alot to write about as you have too many uncontrolled variables and the data doesnt fit any statistical analysis, are you planning semi-structured or open-ended questions? 

lastly, are you sending out all 3 Q’s at once because if not owners may miss the behaviours you want to ask about and people are notoriously poor at remembering stuff !  also how are you controlling for social desirability because i would expect this in the form of “my pup is the best/cleverest/etc…”

just my 2p worth as a research freak – good luck tho!

Claire x

Jo W

[quote author=Val link=topic=12366.msg240214#msg240214 date=1221080907]
    I don’t think we have any baby pups on the board at the moment.
    I would of thought development depends on owners if you read some of the posts you will be able to see that.
    Val
    [/quote]

Yes, that’s part of the purpose of the study, to compare differences between environment and differences in behaviour. 

Thanks

kizkiznobite

uhuh…and…so it re nature /nurture ? nature versus classical conditiong ? nature/nurture versus operant conditioning?  a bit lost in the mire here as to what you want exactly… :-\

Anonymous

yes but you just have millions of uncontrolled variables – it wont reliably tell you anything in quantitative terms.

Debs5501

Hi Jo

I have a 14½ week old Puggle – ‘Minnie’
    We’d be keen to take part in your study.

As a hybrid, she should have traits of both breeds.
    However, at this moment in time, the behaviour she is portraying is purely Beagle.
    It will be interesting to answer your questions as I will monitor her development even closer

Best regards
    Debs

Attachments:

ohh hope you teaching her a recall!!!  :yes:

Anonymous

the behaviour she is portraying is purely Beagle

Goodness, hound temperament with the obstinancy of a Pug!  Good luck to you.  :whistle:

Debs5501

Hi Rough

I know !!!!
    What have I let myself in for ?????

Debs

lots of hard work fun  😀

Anonymous

What have I let myself in for ??

Well I hope that you did your research and didn’t just get swept along by a cute puppy with a silly name?  :confused:

Debs5501

Silly name ???

Is that Minnie or Puggle ???

No, I certainly did not get swept along.
    I knew/ know exactly what I’m getting into.
    That remark was made with tongue, firmly wedged – in – cheek !

*Lassie*

[quote author=Debs5501 link=topic=12366.msg251913#msg251913 date=1226875139]
    Silly name ???

Is that Minnie or Puggle ???

No, I certainly did not get swept along.
    I knew/ know exactly what I’m getting into.
    That remark was made with tongue, firmly wedged – in – cheek !

[/quote]

Puggle is the silly name as it implies that it is a breed of dog rather than a cross breed or mongrel You knew what you were getting in to but didn’t know most puppies play bite..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime