Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Question about breeding!!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Question about breeding!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello,

Before I say anything I want to make it very clear that I am not thinking about breeding!!!

This is a question for all the ppl on here who do breed their dogs.  After a bitch gives birth how long is it before she is able to get pregnant again?  Is it like with rats where they immediately become fertile and cane get pregnant again while still nursing the last litter?  Or do they have to wait until their next litter?

The reason I ask is that I go on a facebook page its actually used as a way of rehoming unwanted pets either for free or for sale, I go on mostly because I have found that you can have a real discussion about animals etc.

Anyway, one lady has a Malamute I think it was who has had pups 8 wks ago, she took her to the vets today to have her done and while they had her under they came out and sed she was pregnant again.  The lady whose dog it is isnt convinced its even possible for her to be pregnant again so soon after having a litter of pups and the responses she has had have been rather mixed.

So I decided to come on here and ask!!  So, does anyone know?

Anna and Co

as far as im aware thats impossible BUT that said if the bitch had an early season – id be suprised? Val will know!

Hello Suz,

I did wonder but I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere recently that a female is still fertile and capable of getting pregnant again directly after giving birth but I cant find it to double check!!  Thats why I asked on here!!

Val

A bitch needs a season cycle in which to ovulate, if it was a cat it is possible but dogs nar in all my years and there are a lot of years I have never heard of it
    Val

[quote author=Val link=topic=16001.msg280534#msg280534 date=1312925041]
    A bitch needs a season cycle in which to ovulate, if it was a cat it is possible but dogs nar in all my years and there are a lot of years I have never heard of it
    Val
    [/quote]

OK thanks Val!!

waller540

6 months from when she went into heat.

kizkiznobite

maybe…many girls/breeds have 9 month + cycles…hence val saying a seaon cycle… 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime