Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

"Heel Close!" My beloved dog is doing my nut

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion "Heel Close!" My beloved dog is doing my nut

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Right!  Bribery it is then!!  Not sure if I’m quite prepared to bribe him with steak yet!!  We’re hoping to go walkies with some other dogs today, so will see if I can keep it up.  Will warn the other owner that it may involve quite a bit of waiting!

Justine&Rafe

He is back in Bad Book today.

Went out to take him for a nice walk down to the river – so he could indulge in his favourite pastime – being in the water and fetching stuff at the same time.

Took me 1 hour.  ONE HOUR.  To walk the 15 minute walk to the church.  Then had 150 yards to get through before he was free to beggar off to his heart’s delight.  Just 150 yards.  We didn’t make it.  Having been Hard Work once again on the way down (including having to cross the road about 20 times until he didn’t run ahead), we got to the church and he just completely refused to listen to me.

So I turned round and thought “sod you you little angel”.  Ok, so angel wasn’t the word I thought at the time.

Had to call Bev “please please help I can’t deal with him!!”

Then my fella at work “I’m sorry to call while you’re at work but he’s driving me mad and I need to talk to someone!”

Then spoke to Rafe before setting off back “Sometimes I don’t like you at all”

Then he was well behaved if quite upset about not going play.  His own bleeping fault and maybe it’ll learn ‘im!!!

Resolved to take Rescue remedy spray with me next time.  After I’d decided that leaving him tied to the Church gates probably wasn’t the best course of action.

I mean he’s microchipped – he’d get back to me somehow I’m sure.

Izzie

Time and patience…….

.dodger.

haha i’ve been exactly what you are going through Justine :yes: I remember many many times ‘trying’ to leave dodger attached to the local tree ::) it is hard but when you get there it is all worth it (not saying that we are fully there yet either 😀 ::))

Justine&Rafe

Just 5 seconds of being to my version of heel (he believes heel should be acceptable anywhere up to two feet in front of me – I know this coz when I correct him he tries to drop back to there)… at a time would do!

Just v frustrating.  Glad I’m understood tho.

Definitely being seen as the crazy lady who can’t decide which direction she’s going in and who likes to cross the street back and forth in our village.  And who talks ALL the time saying quite rude things to her dog in the nicest of saccharine voices so he can’t understand what she means…

Sanity. Gone.

Izzie

Now be honest…did you have any sanity in the first place? 😉 😀 😀 😀 😀

Justine&Rafe

… erm… well… SHHHHH, quick, look behind you, can you see that??

Ha you can’t find me now!

Izzie

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

You have a gunner

Sanity went out the window BEFORE you brought him home
    :tease: :tease: 😀

Justine&Rafe

True, true!

Have decided to  :surrender: to it completely.

Sanity was fairly boring while it lasted.

Anonymous

Justine – you have just made me laugh soo much! Thank you! I’m laughing as I go through exactly the same thing every walk! Have left her tied to things and she sits patiently waiting for me! Then I feel guilty! I am also known as the lady who can’t decide which direction to go in!!! You are not alone, I feel it sometimes!
    Hilary

Justine&Rafe

Glad my suffering is humour to all!!

(Only joking – I can laugh at it now, although at the time I was pretty serious about the church gates!)

You know when you were little there was always a Crazy Lady – In Dublin she does ballet moves in the middle of the street wearing a velvet jacket – I think she was a bit famous…

That’s where we’re heading – Fame and fortune!!  Well, infamy at least.  I suppose that’s one positive thing to take from it!

RozandFly

Can I add to OllietheCollie’s sentiments of humourous agreement?!
    I am in the office laughing at the sheer delight that I am not the only one that thinks 2 feet in front does NOT classify as heel (fly of course will be pleased to hear that there are other dogs out there that think their owners are mean and cruel for delaying their walk when they are sooo clearly heeling-ish).
    I was beginning to think that I had OCD about heeling – I just go completely irrational when Fly won’t walk next to me. Oh, off the lead, she is an obedience delight (tho she will sneak forwards when she thinks I’m not concentrating) but on the lead I could happily leave her tied to anything…
    I am definately the crazy woman of my town as I refuse to go to the park unless she heels, therefore since we were Bev’d we hardly ever get there. Actually, Fly isn’t allowed off the lead at the moment cos of an injury so I guess it’s good practice…
    The number of times recently people have crashed into the back/front of me cos I’ve turned round, stopped, lost the will etc. I’ve even had to mutter out loud that I’ve left the oven/iron/hair straighteners/bath on so that they think I’ve a reason – cos clearly that’s be much less mad!
    I try giving up and going, oh sod it, fine, walk in front, see if I care…problem is she’s fine with that, but the OCT kicks in and we’re back to crazy-lady walking.
    So…in sum – it’s an arse. Next dog is either going to be one that is sooo small it has to run to catch up with me, or one that is stuffed so therefore needs no walking…
    Maybe we should create a ‘heel-close anonymous’ group for therapy sessions?

deebee

i’m with you justine.  Max has decided his name is Kevin as hes just turned the grand age of 1.

ive returned to on lead only walks and turning heel constantly. hardly make it up my road sometimes! if i do i think i will chance going further and because he knows where that leads to, were off!

also, parading with anything ‘illegal’ and if that doesnt have the desired effect, he will destroy it. in front of me.

good point about being chipped, bugger.

Anonymous

Hi Jus,

Fancy a walk tomorrow am ?  I’ll have a look at “the beast” if you like 😉

Claire x

Justine&Rafe

Ha ha ha!!  Thank you all so much!!

Claire – totally didn’t go on the computer until today so have missed your walkies yesterday – we’d have liked that – doh!  🙁

Roz and Fly, Ollie the Collie and Deebee and Max – There are some bright pink pills and padded cells with our names on ’em!  Heel-Close Anonymous sounds like a GREAT idea!!

I’m actually just avoiding anywhere where Rafe needs to be on a lead – Claire will testify to that – get in car, drive 5 minutes up road, get out of car – Carbon footprint the size of Manchester, but No Need For Lead!!!

In more practical terms I can fully recommend the following – Rescue Remedy (or Valium if that doesn’t work), whiskey, gin and wine.  Also, dog walks with owners of dogs more disobedient than your own.  Nothing like comparing that your own lot ain’t that bad.

I can also recommend avoiding – either dog walks altogether (not so practical) or… dog walks with either a non-dog owning friend, or dog walks with anyone with entirely well behaved dogs.  Either of the preceding two situations can lead to long term hatred towards the other person you are walking with.  And when that person is your boyfriend that can cause Issues.

Anyone think of any more helpful tips?!!  :butt:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime