Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

"Heel Close!" My beloved dog is doing my nut

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion "Heel Close!" My beloved dog is doing my nut

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

well done  ;D honey played with a young flatcoat today!

;D Well done  ;D On slippery paths too!  :ok:

Justine&Rafe

;D  ;D  ;D  :tease: now where’s the gloating smiley?  :tease: ;D  ;D  ;D

I wish other people would put in some effort with their heelwork. I got pulled over over yesterday(icey paths  :scared:) … nice bruise on my backside now!  :vomit: :crazy: (not by one of my dogs i just have to point out!)

Anonymous

i was guessing not 🙁

Justine&Rafe

Mini-update

Heel close going ok, unfortunately after earlier fabulousness, he reverted to type a little, BUT, and it’s a start, if I’m paying 100% attention to him, am not rushed trying to get anywhere (ie have time for a few crazy lady walks), and have lots of bribery, we have pretty good success on it.

Wanted to tell about our most recent encounter with Todd the giant wolfhound…

Every time we walk past this gate, a gorgeous ENORMOUS wolfhound comes diving at it, barking like mad, and at first Rafe used to drag me towards him, hackles raised, giving as good as he got.

We’ve been working on leave and “watch”, and have been making big progress.  Yesterday, as we approached the gate I heard Todd bark, so got all prepped with my treats (and we’d been working on heel close down the road).  As we walked past, Todd came barking at the gate, Rafe turned his head towards him, but I immediately gave him a “watch” command, and he just walked past, with Todd barking, staring at me and ignoring the wolfhound!  AND his hackles STAYED DOWN!!  Which I think means he was trusting me to be in charge of the situation.  Even the wolfhound stopped barking as Rafe was not responding to him.  Sooooo pleased.

But as far as the hackles are concerned – does this mean that I’m making Rafe more confident around other dogs if he feels he doesn’t need to put them up?  Am I being successful at something??!  😮

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime