Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Rafey saddlebags – advice!!

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Rafey saddlebags – advice!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Ok, so I maaaaay get a few people laughing at me for this, but IMHO it’s a GREAT idea…

I want to get a saddlebag/rucksack for Rafe.

For those of you who’ve met either Rafe or other flatties before you can stop laughing now.  I’m being serious!!

And yes I’m aware whatever goes in it will get wet and muddy, but it’s most of his crap I end up taking in a human rucksack when we go on long walks.

Anyway, I’ve decided he can carry his own rubbish.

As there are about three gazillion diff types of saddlebag/doggy rucksack out there, does anyone know of one they’d recommend?  I’d really appreciate views from people who’ve got them for their dogs and could give advice from experience.  I don’t mind spending more for a decent one if that’s necessary.  And for those who don’t know Rafe the bag would have to cope with a really active (big) dog, and -especially with my parents – over long distances.

Cheers guys!!! xxx

I don’t like to see dogs with ruckscaks, sorry. Its just not right  :-\
    :nono:

Sweetypye

I don’t mind after all a dog is a pack animal ROFLMAO

But what I don’t get is what IS all this STUFF that owners have to take with them?

I walk MILES with my dogs, I take NOTHING bar my car keys, phone, leads and whistle!

Never needed to carry anything else, so do elaborate what is REQUIRED!

deebee

went for a walk in the woods the other day and got lost.  a sat nav would have been good. or a compass. or a flare.

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13473.msg257852#msg257852 date=1232112297]

But what I don’t get is what IS all this STUFF that owners have to take with them?

I walk MILES with my dogs, I take NOTHING bar my car keys, phone, leads and whistle!

[/quote]

POOP BAGS!!! ;D

Anonymous

And I hope poo bags  ;D
    All I take is poo bags, phone, spare slip lead.
    Val

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13473.msg257852#msg257852 date=1232112297]

[/quote]

Sweetypye

If I am walking miles over open country side filled with rabbit, deer, sheep, horse, cow, fox, badger, bird etc droppings I aint going to be carrying poo bags!

I kick it under the growth off the beaten path.

How much poo does your dog DO if you need to carry the bags (and presumably poop) in a large holdall?????????????????????? :what:

Justine&Rafe

Welllll… Ok, so maybe the bottle of water might be for me, but if I go out for a walk then there’s Rafe (given) his lead (which CAN be looped around me, but that would go in), his ball, poo bags, treats… And that is on ordinary walks.  For longer walks I’d need his collapsible bowl and a bottle of water in case we don’t come across any – he’s a thirsty boy, and I don’t think it’d be fair to deprive him of water over 6 miles.  And I’d possibly take his flourescent jacket – small but GREAT if any on-road walking.  And my keys.

I don’t think much else would fit into a rucksack, but if it would then I’d put in some of my stuff – food (in freezer bags else guaranteed soaked!) – and depending on how sensible it seemd at the time, my wallet.  It doesn’t seem so sensible as I write it down!!

There is No End of stuff I take with me on longer walks.  And I wouldn’t use a rucksack every day, just for days where I’d be taking more stuff.  And yes, if I had lots of stuff I’d take my own rucksack too!!

As far as seeing dogs in rucksacks, you see huskies and malamutes in the UK in the summer, people teach terriers to retrieve, and gundogs to do heelwork to music (er, that may be me and Rafe, too!).  All of which it could be argued is unnatural.  Ok, they may not have been born with one on their back, but if they enjoy the work (and I wouldn’t make him do it if he didn’t) then it’s work, and gundogs were bred to work!

Justine&Rafe

Oh god I wouldn’t carry Rafe’s poo in a holdall!!!  He poos like a shetland pony!!!

I have to hold that at arms length, and I (being naughty) tend to ignore it if over open moors in a bush.  It’s only for if he drops one in a car park or other civilised public place.  Then I find a bin QUICKLY.

His poos are also toxic.  Fact.

*Nick*

The reason we don’t have one is simply because it would get caught up in the trees and brush. So instead I got a fanny pack that holds treats, phone, camera, poop bags, smokes and a drink. Works well.

it’s this one actually http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=A656&variationId=69H&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201

Sweetypye

Well I have walked 30 miles without anything other than mentioned, there are always water troughs, puddles, even a ball will fit in my pocket………………..  taking a rucksack is just more clobber to pack, ,unpack, clean etc and expense

God my dogs are deprived…………………. :boooo:

i just make sure i have big pockets  ;D mind you, because I have retrievers they carry their toys etc in thier mouth anyway!  😀

Justine&Rafe

Hee hee!!

C’mon, it’s not for EVERY walk, and it’s not like it’s going to hurt him!!

I just want one, to play with!  Besides, and please don’t take this the wrong way, I don’t mean to offend, but none of you have ever used one… The main reason I started looking into this was because I saw a flattie at Burghley last year with one, behaving impeccably… when I spoke to the owner about how well behaved her dog was, she said that the dog loved the backpack and would become all “work-mode” when she put it on.

Now no barking at me because I know there’s no quick fix to doggy manners, and those who know me know I’m trying hard with him but he’s exuberant!  But if he enjoys wearing one, it puts him into more of a work mode and settles him a bit, then what’s the harm in him carrying around his own crap?!  

Justine&Rafe

Aaaand, the posh rucksacks have cooling pockets in them coz his pampered lordship does get hot in summer, despite his shockingly poor coat.

Yep, he carries his toys until he’s bored with them.  Then I have to otherwise I’m constantly sending him back for them.

Justine&Rafe

And Nick that pack of yours looks pretty high tech!  I’m still going to stick with trying to find one for Rafe tho, coz then he can carry it!

Yes yes, I’m hearing the chants of “LAZINESS” from here!!  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime