Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Re: Cats and their wandering

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News Re: Cats and their wandering

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    wags

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=11910.msg227959#msg227959 date=1215026057]

quote :

some of those sound a bit dangerous to a cat

I don’t hate cats, i really don’t but…. sounds dangerous to cats? My foot  >:( . Keep the cat in the house or build sort of a vollière to let it out but on your own property. Why do i have to clean up someone elses pet’s sh.t? I don’t let my dogs do that in someone elses garden either. For years i tried it the nice way, but now if a cat enters my property, i send the boys after it. If cat messes anything up, it gets shot by my neighbour.
    [/quote]

thankyou

glad someone agrees with me

if any other animal tresspassed on your property the way cats do you would be in a whole world of trouble

GSPmad

see i think cats are the type of animal that just were built to wander. which is why it is maybe best to keep them in areas where they are less likely to get squished by cars for example. but having a free roaming cat means you live with the risk that something bad happens to it, like it is got by a fox or a dog or run over… or some moron shoots it with an air gun.  ::) >:D (the latter i personally think is not a risk there should have to be – but that’s people for you  >:D ).

as i said have been on both sides of the coin. :-\

I have to say look at it this way too – cat comes in your garden and s**** everywhere….we just meant to say oh ok its what cats do – if a DOG did that we be looking for the owner to complain. I understand cats do that god we had two who im sure were guilty of just that – but i know my mum and dad are sick to death of doing the garden out the front and digging up tons of cat s*** – its not nice.  😛

GSPmad

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=11910.msg229548#msg229548 date=1215636468]
    I have to say look at it this way too – cat comes in your garden and s**** everywhere….we just meant to say oh ok its what cats do – if a DOG did that we be looking for the owner to complain. I understand cats do that god we had two who im sure were guilty of just that – but i know my mum and dad are sick to death of doing the garden out the front and digging up tons of cat s*** – its not nice.  😛
    [/quote]

we used to get dogs coming and s**ting in our back garden in various places we lived – and no the owners didn’t give a toss. actually that area (where my mother lives) – for a supposed ‘middle class’ area – is dreadful for poo picking. i remember dorain going on the pavement once (doesn’t usually) so i picked it up and the person whose house it was outside came out to say thank you.  😮 😮

round there the cats make a lot less mess.  :-\

alright it’s irritating but i think it’s a bit live and let live – after all wildlife don’t discriminate either – personally think people with cats should stop moaning about people having dogs and them being noisy and let off leads and possibly chasing cats and people with dogs should stop moaning about people having cats which wander in the way that they do.  ;D

what i have a problem with is people who have out of control CHILDREN.  😛

we dont have much wildlife in our garden – and thats totally different, they dont have any owners to control them.id be p***** if it was a cat or dog that was doing it – dont particularly want to tred in either………im not moaning as such – we put up with our neighbours cats being a total nuisance, but who will be the first to moan if her cats got injured while our dogs were chasing it off………granted our dogs wouldnt hurt it – but if it slipped etc –  ::)

GSPmad

cats count as wild animals by law though  (and they are not really ‘controllable’ in the way that dogs are) – don’t have to stop if you run them over whereas with dogs you do, etc. dogs have more controls under law and supposedly also more protection under law.

but yes – personally i don’t see how you can moan if your cat is in someone else’s garden and their dogs chase it.  ;D

and you also don’t have right to ‘ownership’ of a cat under the law as far as i’m aware owing to them counting as wild animals. as far as i remember.

still f-ing irratating though. says she who nearly ran blasted next door neighbours cat over tongiht cos it was sleeping on the driveway – how annoyed would she off been  ::)

As for the laws………im saying nothing  ::)

*Lassie*
    Diesel73

quote :

alright it’s irritating but i think it’s a bit live and let live – after all wildlife don’t discriminate either – personally think people with cats should stop moaning about people having dogs and them being noisy and let off leads and possibly chasing cats and people with dogs should stop moaning about people having cats which wander in the way that they do. 

Nope…. can’t do  :-\ . See, someone’s pet it not wildlife. They wanted it, they take care of it, they keep it on their own territory.
    That cat is there because they wanted it to be. They chose it, than they should stand up when is called for the owner.
    i trap it, bring it back to their owners than almost every owner refuses to pay for the damages because ‘they can’t keep the cat in their garden’, ‘it’s a cat’s nature to hunt’, ‘because it is just something cats do’ , etc etc. Makes me *bwèrk  😛 *.
    Fine, next time i trap it -and than it’s lucky it didn’t get shot already- i don’t have to return it to the owner cause he didn’t want it back. Why else would he put the cat outside again to serve as canonfood  ???  .
    When you find your own animals shred to pieces and thàn catch the cat in the act stealing his next victime…… It makes my horns grow  >:D . It’s good oldfashioned caveman hunting time  >:( . Than that ‘some’ in==>

quote :

some moron shoots it with an air gun. 

…. is i  >:( .
    I know a koi breeder, pigeon breeders, other poultry breeders, other bird breeders…. We all constantly in battle with someone elses cats. 
    If my boys mess up, i pay. But when it comes to catowners paying for what their pet messed up… (Most times) nobody gives home. Thàt is the part i have problem with cause i don’t see why i have to dig into my pockets for someone elses pet.

That all have said, i now a lot of catowners that don’t let their cat wander around and keep/treat/care for it as they should. I got no problem with those. If one should escape and i catch it, happend few times, than i am happy to return it to them. Sh.t happens, and i nt angry. Bur from where i am standing… a pedigreecat is treated muuuuch more carefull and kept indoors than ‘ordinary’ cats. I wonder how come so  ::) …

Got to agree there, didnt think of it from your point of view  – though agree with you either way  😉

GSPmad

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=11910.msg229714#msg229714 date=1215719132]
    Cats are regarded as property by law

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/EG10-Catsandthelaw.pdf
    [/quote]

interesting…. didn’t know that.

do you know if they are regarded as property in the same way or which laws it is, as it doesn’t say on there.  🙂

GSPmad

That cat is there because they wanted it to be. They chose it, than they should stand up when is called for the owner.

cats are not the sort of animal you can train in that way though.  :-\

i trap it, bring it back to their owners than almost every owner refuses to pay for the damages because ‘they can’t keep the cat in their garden’, ‘it’s a cat’s nature to hunt’, ‘because it is just something cats do’ , etc etc. Makes me *bwèrk  😛 *.

agree with you there – their cat, they are responsible for damage to your pets\ property.

quote :

some moron shoots it with an air gun. 

…. is i  >:( .

sorry, still can’t agree with that. it’s not the cat’s fault. it’s in the cat’s nature. though i do understand where you are coming from.
    and what i was particularly talking about are people that shoot cats with airguns for fun to maim, not because they are being a nuisance or to kill….. just because they find it ‘fun’. and i do hope you would not be someone that would aim to maim an animal and cause it to suffer – it is not what i would expect of you from what i know of your posts.  :-\

If my boys mess up, i pay. But when it comes to catowners paying for what their pet messed up… (Most times) nobody gives home. Thàt is the part i have problem with cause i don’t see why i have to dig into my pockets for someone elses pet.

again – i agree – they should take responsibility for the damage caused by their pet. but if your boys got loose and killed someone’s livestock, i guess you wouldn’t be too happy if they got shot, or maimed and left to die in pain.  ???

see what i’m saying?  :-\

though in life generally, not directed at anyone in particular, i am totally sick of the way everything has to be somebody’s fault… it gets me down.  :'(

*Lassie*

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=11910.msg230188#msg230188 date=1215990478]
    [quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=11910.msg229714#msg229714 date=1215719132]
    Cats are regarded as property by law

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/EG10-Catsandthelaw.pdf
    [/quote]

interesting…. didn’t know that.

do you know if they are regarded as property in the same way or which laws it is, as it doesn’t say on there.  🙂
    [/quote]

http://www.lawteacher.net/PDF/TA%201968.pdf

GSPmad

thanks jacqui.  🙂

Diesel73
    quote :

but if your boys got loose and killed someone’s livestock, i guess you wouldn’t be too happy if they got shot, or maimed and left to die in pain. 

see what i’m saying? 

though in life generally, not directed at anyone in particular, i am totally sick of the way everything has to be somebody’s fault… it gets me down. 

Oeshe girl, you don’t have to agree with me  :-* . I can really understand why you think that way, but…. you don’t live with the things or see the things that i do. You not on my side of the fence  😉 . We all form our thoughts to our own life. And for me  ::) … well, if i catch it, i give it another chance. But when the owner does not stand for his own animal than…. It’s his pet or my stock. I choos mine. I don’t just shoot it. I try to give it a few chances, send the boys after them a few times, try to trap it. Final try,  :-[ …. when i catch it i hold it under for a sec in icy cold water. Most times that vèry effective. Lots of them stay away when i send the boys after them few times. But if i catch it messing my barn up for the so maniest time, than it’s history. I don’t like to do it, i don’t even like having it done by neighbour. But usually his place gets ‘visited’ first befor they come to mine. So than i warn him which ones to look out for.
    Only when i get really fed up with it and i lost more than 2 digit number of youngens. I really don’t like the idea of helping someone’s pet to the afterworld. Not even if that someone couldn’t care less. But if i do than i’ll make sure it ends right there and than. I won’t let it suffer.

But like i said, i understand why you think different and don’t agree with me.  :-*  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime