Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Really Confused with Raw Feeding

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Really Confused with Raw Feeding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

i have been feeding dodger on bones in the morning and raw mince with some form of carb + some veg and little fruit for his tea. For example i may feed 250g of mince to 150-200g of carb+veg but someone posted up on another board that they are feeding their 12 week old puppy GSD 1lb of beef chunks (from p@h) in the morning – 3 chicken wings for lunch and then a further more 8oz of another raw meat type…..  He gets an egg and some bio yoghurt every other day. She said the pup is not eating all of the meal she’s giving it but i can’t understand why she is just feeding meat, egg and yoghurt? ??? Surely dogs need the balanced diet with the carbs and veg in there too?? if not where do they get their vit and mineral’s from?

What should the ratio be for a dog 1/3 meat 1/3 carb and 1/3 veg ???? i’m just totally confused if you haven’t already guessed ::) Can anyone explain it to me? 🙂

Many people dont feed veg etc – they follow Tom? Lonsdale the raw meaty bones diet – i believe he doesnt encourage veg etc – but more of feeding the whole animal.  🙂

Anonymous

I don’t feed loki carbs like cereals/ potatoes any more… and he has finally put on a bit of weight and stopped leavign half his food.

Although he does get pulped fruit & veg 4 or 5 days a week.  I do know someone who doesn’t feed veg – but does feed whole carcasses… so that makes more sense to me.

.dodger.

that does make sense but for someone who is only feeding the pre=made beef chunks from p@h, chicken wings and then raw meat all my itself later on i just can’t see where the pup is getting what it needs from the diet?? What about the level of protein to? How do you make sure they don’t get to much if all they are eating is plain meat with no other bits of the animal?

Hi,

I dont know the answer Laura but I have another Q !

Widget – your friend who feeds whole carcasses, are these grazed animals ?  if not, do they still feed the stomach etc … ?

Fruit and Veg have lots of good minerals and vitamins etc in them if I went “raw” i would include a little but probably not as much as your ratio Laura?

I am thinking about it still but like you, just find it all too bloody confusing !!!

Claire x

Anonymous

I don’t know loads about what they are fed – but is mainly whole rabbits and birds eg. chickens/ pigeons.

They also get bones for gnawing.

Sweetypye

There is no proven need for carbohydrates in a dog’s diet; I have not fed any grains or cereal to my dogs for nearly 8 years (apart from when I have to use Natures Harvest in emergencies)

The amount of veg/fruit most dogs eat will not exceed 10% of their diet and many refuse to eat it, it is not vital.

Not sure I understand the query re protein and meat?  Protein comes in two forms, complete and incomplete, bio available and non bio available.  There is no protein in any other part of a carcass that is more valuable than the muscle meat…………

.dodger.

[quote author=claire wills + bonnie link=topic=14124.msg266088#msg266088 date=1240304107]
    Fruit and Veg have lots of good minerals and vitamins etc in them if I went “raw” i would include a little but probably not as much as your ratio Laura?
    Claire x
    [/quote]

i don’t feed the exact amounts in my first post – just an example. I normally feed them veg about 2-3 meals a week and maybe a few bits of fruit a week but normally feed some form of carb with the raw meat each meal. Whether it be pasta, rice, mash or just the wholemeal mixer.

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=14124.msg266113#msg266113 date=1240324611]
    There is no proven need for carbohydrates in a dog’s diet; I have not fed any grains or cereal to my dogs for nearly 8 years (apart from when I have to use Natures Harvest in emergencies)

The amount of veg/fruit most dogs eat will not exceed 10% of their diet and many refuse to eat it, it is not vital.
    [/quote]

If carbs, grains, cereal’s are not proven that dogs need them why do almost all dry complete dog food’s contain some form of the above? along with small amounts of veg?

I understand why feeding the carbs and veg every meal time can be unnecessary but i still can’t understand where the vit and min’s come from when people feed raw meat and bone only (not including carcass’s) :help:

xtine

they used to pack them out a bit  :-\

laura – they are used in complete dog foods to bulk them out and so they can up the protein content so ppl think its got more meat in than it actually has because they assume all protein is from meat when in most shite foods – there is virtually no muscle protein

as for other stuff – dunno.

claire x

*Lassie*

Laura maybe this site can help 😉
    http://www.rawfed.com/myths/

Lucyr

I follow the raw meaty bones diet and my dogs are doing great on it.

They get chicken carcasses (which are quite meaty)
    Tripe, lamb, rabbit, turkey, fish, heart, liver, kidney
    Lamb Ribs, trotters and any left over bits from the pigs,
    All sorts of bones
    Eggs with shell
    Pilchards, mackeral

I used to weigh the dogs food out but now go by how the dogs look and feel.

Sweetypye

If carbs, grains, cereal’s are not proven that dogs need them why do almost all dry complete dog food’s contain some form of the above? along with small amounts of veg?

Processed dog food was created in order to use the waste produced by human food manufacturers profitably.

Grain is used to make it affordable for people.  Grain is incomplete protein (bar soya).  Wolves, jackals, foxes and other canids do not eat processed cereal, and they get vegetable matter from fallen fruit, browsing and consuming SOME of the contents of the intestines (rarely stomachs) of their prey

If you study nutrition you will see that the nutritional needs of your average pet dog are met my raw meat and bones as long as you give a mixture and of course dogs synthesise their own Vitamin C.

.dodger.

thanks all that really clears it all up for me. 🙂

So if i give him chicken wings, lamb spine, ribs – a meaty bone for breaky what could i give him for tea?? baring in mind he gets really loose pooh’s with any form of fish except tuna…. ???

Where do people get their chicken carcasses from?

kendal

some butchers will give them away free as they have to pay for them to be taken away for pigs swill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime