Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Really headstrong labrador puppy – help!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Really headstrong labrador puppy – help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kwaker5

Our lab pup is about 12 weeks now and we’re still having problems with playbiting, yapping, moaning/whining, jumping up.  He has house trained really easily and basic obedience training is going well (when we can get him to focus!).

He just seems to get more hyper when he is tired instead of just sleeping.  Most evenings he is confined to his crate because he just will not settle down in the living room.  He won’t play with his toys, he just wants to chew the sofa! 

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific advice on dealing with him.  We have a 6yo lab (we are not complete novices) who has made a wonderful pet.  I don’t remember him being like this at all.  He would quite happily lie down with a nylabone, and treat balls kept him amused for hours on end.

Hi and welcome BTW!  🙂

Mudgie

Hi and welcome  ;D

I wonder if the treats and food you are feeding him are contributing to him being a truly playful puppy.  ???  Have a look at the ingredients and it may be that changing it may be a good start.

if you tire his mind then he will be so tired to be naughty  😀 😀

Consistency in the house rules is the best way forward.  Be firm but fair.  Reward the good ignore the bad  ;D  Look on training posts you wont go far wrong.  And some nice pictures of the pupsters always helps  ;D

If he is food focused and lets face most labs are then train him when he is hungry  ;D  which in his head is probably every waking moment  😀

AND I wonder if he gets more attention when sofa chewing than when chewing toys  😉

Mudgie

reinforcement  ;D

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome

my first question would be why are you confining him to his crate? he will view this as punishment and will work to avoid…he needs lots of stimulation to wear out his mind…..the world is a new and exciting place unless you teach him how to live in it and share his space with his pack with good manners and socialability he will grow into a big dog that has no concept of how he is expected to be

what are you feeding him on and what is his affix?

what is his daily routine?

happy to help  🙂

Bailey_Girl

Hiya

Sounds like a typical 12 week old labrador puppy to me  😉

My Bailey is 13 months now but I was talking to my trainer today about how excitable she was as a tiny pup (she still is now just not as much  :D)

I have 2 young children so I used to find Bailey would chew their toys…..I just always used to give her one of her toys instead and make playing with that fun and exciting

Maybe fill a kong too and encourage him to settle 🙂

Sounds like you are doing well with obedience and training so keep at it  🙂

kwaker5

Thanks for the replies.  Things have improved since I posted.  We can now get out and about with him because he’s fully vaccinated, which is helping tire him out.  He’s also gradually learning that it is better to sit quietly and chew on a toy with us in the living room in the evenings than running around eating the furniture and nipping us until he ends up confined to the kitchen.

My only longer term worry is how we make him understand that he comes under our toddler in the pack?  I keep them apart unless I can supervise closely because he does tend to jump up at him (and nip sometimes), plus steals his food/toys if I’m not watching.  In reality will it have to be like this until my son is quite a bit older?

Mudgie

No it doesnt have to be like this and it certainly shouldnt.  If you get basic training sorted you can address this – look on training and cues like leave it and off if used with correct timing can eradicate this.  I am no expert but there are a couple on here who are so if you can give more information then perhaps they can help.  🙂

justpetdogs

[quote author=kwaker5 link=topic=12239.msg237300#msg237300 date=1219260454]
    My only longer term worry is how we make him understand that he comes under our toddler in the pack?  I keep them apart unless I can supervise closely because he does tend to jump up at him (and nip sometimes), plus steals his food/toys if I’m not watching.  In reality will it have to be like this until my son is quite a bit older?
    [/quote]

Nothing to do with ‘pack’ and everything to do with training.  As Mudgie said, get your basic training in place (sit, down, off, come, leave, stay, etc.) and you’ll have the tools to keep the pup from jumping up at and stealing from your toddler.  You’re being completely sensible about keeping pup and toddler apart unless you can closely supervise…that should be the way of any dog-child relationship until the child is old enough to behave appropriately with and control the dog…but I’m afraid that will be the way until your son is quite a bit older (Ian Dunbar suggests boys aren’t capable of behaving appropriately around dogs until they’re about 12 years old!  😮 ;D)

Marion

kizkiznobite

and then between the age of 12 and 32 they revert at times  ::)

justpetdogs

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Mudgie

cant be 32 have a husband of 40 who still doesnt quite get it  ::)

Anonymous

hi,

i’m gonna disagree with marion.  pack is *essential* especially as you’ve missed most of your classical stage training opportunities now.

my son is 2 1/2 years old and he behaves appropriately around dogs most of the time – i would say much more appropriately than many adults do (tho i am not sure the lady he asked if he could stroke her cats (chi’s) was that impressed lol!!!!!!).  he can and does already cue  sit / away / back / heel / bed appropriately to control my dogs.  he understands they go for wees and poos outside and will open the door and cue them to go to the toilet in the garden. 

claire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime