Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Really headstrong labrador puppy – help!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Really headstrong labrador puppy – help!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    wags

and i would say that my 4 year old can behave appropiatlly round dogs a hell of a lot more than most adults

Anonymous

hi,

i second that having seen helen’s (i think 3yr old at the time) little boy with lots of other dogs about at selby !

claire x

*Lassie*

Depends on how well you have trained your kids as to how they act around animals

Anonymous

hi,

yes it does – i was just trying to illustrate that a good deal of progress can be made much before 12yr.

claire x

Chewy

My 4 yr olds pretty good with the puppy. On the other hand this is the same 4 yr old that licks windows/trollys/carpet.
    I had the same concern as you with our Diz. She’s now 18 weeks? and so much better, especally with cues in place now and that much calmer round the baby (in the house she has a long house lead attached, if she gets over excited we cue the down/leave or step on the lead til she calms. It’s great when she steals toys/food, however general rule in our house is if the food gets dropped on the floor, its fair game for the dog!) She has free rein in the evening when the kids are in bed and we leave some toys on the floor to attempt to teach her which toys she can have and what she cant. Touch wood its going really well. It’s the baby we have to watch!
    Well, that and our daughters telly licking fetish.

Anonymous

hi,

my dogs have always just seemed to “know” which toys are theirs i dont know why or how ?

claire x

Anonymous

So this pup spends all day trailing a lead round for you to grab  :boooo:

Chewy

Oh god, that wrong?
    My trainer suggested it when Diz caught ds’s bottom lip and to all the owners in our class? It’s not attached to anything and its a long, lightweight houseline.
    It’s suggested by Jean Donaldson and Karen Pryor? I thought it would be alright? And We only get it at the beginning when we couldnt call her to get away from kids toys or put them down (she’s quicker than us) and before she learned the “leave” cue to get her to stop nibbling the baby.
    The house lead hasnt been used for a while now since she is that much better, but to be honest I thought it was a really good tool.
    We didnt swing her round our heads with it, or even jerk the dog about.
    I promise not to use one again tho, I had no idea it was a bad idea, I just thought it was a teaching tool?

Anonymous

me too – why is this bad ??

Anonymous

Look girls I am not the trainer on this board, just I don’t like the idea at all especially with another child around as well as a baby, in my world of dogs I would lure the dog away as it’s a lab it’s easy they are stomach’s on legs.
    Thats a young throat that is at the end of that string  :whatever: if the breed was a really bright one it would have chewed that off as it would realise it was beening stopped by that honest Claire could you see a young Bonnie trailing a string  :whatever: round she would have bitten it off and possibly cost you a vet bill getting it out of the gut JMO
    Pleased you don’t need to use it now Chewy
    Val

kizkiznobite

ok…i have had a bit of a hard working couple of days …and i have read and then glance read and then tried to read again this thread since and including up to my last post…but am i bit lost in the mire here as i am rather tired so…can someone clarify for me please…because at the moment head is swimming a bit with when is a pup part of a pack or not and pack influence on learning criteria…which is where i assume marion is at ….and a pup of 18 weekish…being on a leash  >:D…trailing…so it used as a ‘control’ for re-enforcing behaviours??  at 18 weeks  :-X :-\ :what:…..am i right or have i lost the plot….

Chewy

I dont know, I’m a bit scared now!
    I was saying about the use of a house line round the kids (very badly) to help curb jumping up/nibbling kids with our pup (who was younger at that time) who’s now 18 weeks (doesnt need it anymore, everythings fallen into place) that helped us.
    We struggled because, maybe it’s the pyr side to Diz that food orientation has never been a strong point and our trainer rec them to all in our class for curbing jumping up and in our situation with the nibbling as an aid to both control and teach the correct behaviour in these situations as a training tool.
    I’m eally not escribing this very well at all.
    Touch wood she had never eaten it or chewed it.
    Anyway, I think this may have got a bit off track from the origional post.
    But I wont use a houseline again, I didnt know it was a bad idea since it worked so well with Diz and her behaviour round the baby, and her jumping up.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime