Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Remembrance Sunday

Home Archive Forums Dogs Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Sunday

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    deebee

was at a gun club today and everyone stopped at 11am, shooting aswell. expect the girls running the cafe  ???

Anonymous

Went silent in Tesco’s, all but a little girl chatting to her mum, who quickly said here have one of your sweeties, bless 🙂

remembered here aswell

yep we listened to silence on the radio – then me and honey buns went for a walk – avoided the people for some peace and quiet  :yes:  :-*

leoti

I was at a dog show today and we observed the mintues silence at 11.00am apart from one yappy little dog

”    At the going down of the sun we will remember them  “

and remembered again today

RIP all those that fought for our freedom :-* :'(

Anonymous

white poppies remember all those losses of war – civillian (well over 10 million children included) and animal too and remind us that war and violence are not the way to solve our problems.  they came about after the british leigion refused to remember the non-military casualties of war.  it was the womens movement of the time which first really pushed this view that war was wrong.  the symbol of the red poppy was originally made and sold to raise funds for the innocent children who were disadvantaged through war and then to help those who were forced to sign up – however it has now become for supporting the people who knowingly and willingly train as killers and go to fight.

should the army be “funky and cool” focussing on less brutal language and weapons drills to appeal to 14yr olds ??  you might expect this in some countries but here in the UK it happens too 🙁

quote :

On a stormy winter day, 38 schoolchildren gather at Fulwood Barracks in Preston. They are mainly Year 11 pupils – aged between 14 and 16 – and they have been bussed over from a poorly performing comprehensive in a deprived part of a nearby town for an encounter day with the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment.

The four teachers who have come along with them seem apprehensive. Many of these kids, they say, can be unruly; others are quiet but don’t perform well in class. Warrant Officer Nick Froehling, however, is young, friendly and easy going. Within minutes he has the children doing rifle drill, shifting model SA80s from shoulder to arm’s length and back down to “at ease” – although Froehling doesn’t say “At ease”. He prefers the order “Chill”.

kizkiznobite

the red poppy came about as a symbol because red poppies seed in hard tough ground and in 1918 they were growing over the bodies lying in the bombed out fields in their millions ….so they became a symbol of the fallen…

regardless of pacifist views modern or otherwise…they are what they are…the symbol chosen by those that survived and /or their families…and modern politics have/has no place in undermining that….

when they release the petals in the RAH on the saturday night…there is a petal for every person killed in a war from ww1 todate…they fill the isles and cover the hats and each year they take longer to fall….

there is no such thing as an uninjured solder of war…every soldier that comes back from a war is injured in some way

i lost valuable time and memories of what could be …i have memories and influences from my childhood of those in my family that returned…my english teacher that opened a world for me that i didnt know existed…well lets not go there here and now …..but every time in the last 40 years i have picked up a poetry book or a hardy novel or read shakespeare or lawrence i see him….and on poppy day he too is in my thoughts

war maybe a political issue…the fighters (in particular ww1 and ww2 solders) may have been brain washed by the politicians but it does not take away the fact that they as individuals did what they did for the reasons they believed in as individuals and that makes them heroes in my book…they left their loved ones and their homes and their living to fight for something they believed in..to fight for the future of their off spring

white poppies …well…they are a ‘symbol’ of the heroin trade…

i have said it before and i will say it again…there are those of us that still feel the pain of the last wars…that still have a real sense of loss and memory and not what is in the history books…mo still wakes up having dreamed of her precious grandpa….suffering the painful effects of gas from ww1…and me…my brother my hero my only brother….richard gere look a like in his officer whites…rum soaked and quivering…as recent as 1960’s to 1980’s… and those 20 years of pain for my mother…..10,000 manics ( a fave group of mine) have a song about a brother going into the forces…that me…that just me…dont take away my appreciation for having the life i am able to have….men have always fought wars…it a survival thing…a symbol of the dead is something else

the red poppy is what it is….

the white poppy…well it kills …day in day out ….everyday…it maims and breaks up families and causes grief beyond words….

and me…have been a fee paying member of the peace movement since i was 22…..but..until the day i die and whatever dogs i have or not will do the red poppy to the memorial to say thank you…thank you for giving your life for a cause you believed in in order that i can do this today

cubert was a good boy…amilou was proud and regal picking up from us what was important to us…falkor was…well he was falkor…..he even placed his own on cue…

Anonymous

This is the first time I have looked at this topic since the white poppy post for fear of losing my rag.
    Good post Bev as another member of peace movement I do not believe in war, but nothing will ever take away what the world went through in both WW1 and WW2, like Bev I have lived my whole life in the shadow of what the wars did to my family and the people that had the greatest affect on my life.

I think one of my biggest memories was our playground we grew up playing on bomb sites and living with most of the family under one roof, being born in London big area’s had been flatten by the bombs.

I also went through the Falklands war praying for my son to return I again was lucky he came home but many did not.
    We were the lucky ones our families came home so lets never forget those that did not, and that symbol of remembrance is the RED poppy
    Val

I listened to the silence on the radio today in the car.  I thought of my G granda, the one who died recently, i didn’t cry when he died but today i couldn’t stop for those two minutes.  Luckily i was sat at the tyne tunnel, they stopped letting cars through for the time.  My granda would never talk of what happened to him  :'(

kizkiznobite

no foxy…they never did…except to those that had been there…it called being stoical…they didnt because they didnt want the loved ones to know the pain…xxx hugs and may your G gran pappy rest in peace knowing that you respect…

Anonymous

Hi,

The symbol was indeed taken from the killing fields (by an american) but I believe it was originally used as a way to make money for french kids who needed assistance – not as a symbol of the fallen.  It was only when the english government did not provide for the returning injured that the poppy was taken up in England as a means to raise funds for those who could no longer earn a living.

This has absolutely nothing to do with modern politics – it was political from its inception and certainly political in its arrival into the UK.  

The white poppy has been around since well before WW2 as a symbol of peace as a direct result of the fact that the “red poppy crew” refused to honour and remember those who fell as civillian casualties.  

here i am a child of the 1970’s i grew up from the tiniest baby with a huge crater and cracked glass in windows from a german bomb meant for coventry in my grandparents field.  soldiers are still brainwashed today – but I find my friends on the front line left without adequate protection due to supply shortages in Iraq.  They had little more than the soldiers in WW2 to protect them.  War has been and always will be political – I dont think anyone in their enrollment mentioned they’d be strolling round the frontline in les than your average PC !!  The one guy I think of particularly went in not to fight for Q&C but for good wages and a good pension.  The RM’s I know also bring home sickening stories of being dumped and left to fend for themselves.

Every year the poppy petals take longer to fall because politics continues to stick its beak in and back it up with bombs.  We are no less invoking “terror” than those we call terrorists.

Did you know that remembrance day was never meant to be an annual event.  It was the people that ensured it carried on.  Politics wanted to do away with remembering the fallen that they had created.

My family have their own war dead …. from what I know starting with the Battle of the Somme I believe.

Claire.  

do you know what i learned earlier this year, my grandad was based in Malta in ww2, i had no idea, i sat and listened to the stories of what they went through there…and then towards the end my mum told me, she said it was awful for him, but after that he went to india and it was india that ‘broke’ him, my grandad never talkad about the war, nanna told me that their house had been bomed when she was a little girl and my mum said grandad didn’t come back from india the same  :'(

and what’s worse is that my grandad died years ago and i had no idea about what he had been through because schools didn’t teach you about ww1/ww2 back then and now its too late to talk to him and show the respect that he deserved  :'(

i actually had a go at a boy in my class today because he said “why should we remember them it wasnt our war” i had such a go at him that me teacher actually supported me and spoke to him after i had had my rant :'( the wars need to be tought

Anonymous

A POEM FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY
    11th November

Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
    Selling poppies in the town today.
    The poppies dear, are the flowers of love
    For the men that have marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy , Mummy?
    Why not a beautiful rose?
    Because my love, men fought and died
    In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
    Why are the poppies so red
    Red is the colour of blood, my child
    The blood that our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy
    Why does it have to be black?
    Black, my child, is the symbol of grief
    For the men who never came back.

But why are you crying Mummy?
    Your tears are giving you pain.
    My tears are for you my child
    For the world is forgetting again.

Author unknown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime