Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

req by mudgie – health checks

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked req by mudgie – health checks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

Generic health checks – once a week

coat and skin

check for tangles, knots and cotts, burs, dead hair, flaky skin, oil release and distribution

senses and scenting

eyes – free of gunk, lashes in good order, tear ducts not blocked or over producing, no redness or inflammation, pupils dilating and retracting and the rest of eye all normal in colour, lids all working as they should

ears – nice and clean – no discharges or odd smells, no fur blockage, no head shaking or scratching. If upright ears breed – then conformity as normal – if floppy eared breed then not hanging oddly or tilted. Dog can manipulate – hone in – for sound as normal

nose – clear and not blocked, not dripping constantly, no sneezing, no odd colouring or scabbing or excessive dryness with caked skin – all nice and clean

mouth – clean teeth and gums, no lumps and bumps or red or white spots and all good colour – tongue a nice healthy colour and no blemishes – throat clear with a good swallow reflex. No sores or cuts or pests on lips – whiskers not split or growing inwards

body

feet – toes working ok – no thorns, cuts, scratches or softness in pads – pads a nice healthy colour, nail beds clean with no infection or gunk in and around them and nails nice and short in line with the breed conformity with no splitting or chipping (this includes dew claws)

skeleton – joints – all working as they should – no pain responses – straight spine and head alignment

belly, armpits and groin – clean of debris – nipples nice and clean – especially the areas around them – skin a good healthy colour, no pests or scratches in pits and pats

fanny – clean and sweet smelling – no discharge or bruising or unevenness either side – normal size  with no soggy tissue around the vulva – when touched at the pink V point then there should be a muscle reaction – a quick pull in as if tickled. No urine staining on skin and no urine burns

balls – good colour – hanging nicely – no funny texture to skin – no lumps and bumps that are unusual – no pain response when handled

penis – no discharge other than sperm if dog entire – shaft free of bruising – penis can protrude normally (lipstick) – no urine staining on belly or towards the bum – no urine burns – when weeing then jet should be good and strong – even when marking a little amount it should come out at speed – the whole at the tip should be round and the skin should pull back easily

anus – no tears or discharge – clean and tight with muscle response when touched

fluids

mouth slobber etc. – clean with normal stickiness and a good smell

wee – pale yellow – not overly strong smelling (get used to what is normal for your dog – sniff it hard and remember it this is important!!) no blood and limited protein and correct acidity

sperm – pale greenish – blood free – leaves the penis easily

tears – normal consistency and not too much

poo – we talk enough about poo – just know what is normal for your dog

this is my weekly health check list – takes about 10 minutes per dog – i do it on a monday morning

Mudgie

Bloody hell – best get a tick box chart for this one.  ::)

Thanks Kiz

will need to take photos – close ups of elsa later – her eyes are quite red in comparison to other two doggies and this morning noticed that “sleep” from eyes was really dark  ???

cleaned all their ears yesterday – yuk  :-\  Just as well as BB had a seed at beginning of hers.

kizkiznobite

it becomes a habit – a routine – falkor and brose even know the routine and anticipate it all – on back – left front paw offered – left back paw offered – right back paw offered – left front paw offered – spread legs – stand – offer face…….

ami knows the routine but makes a meal of it all  ::)

sam….lets forget sam  ::) and his takes 1/2 an hour minimum  >:D

hollie – stays asleep  ;D

Mudgie

Bet you red eyes are down to sand from beach  ::)

Good list !!!!  😉

Found a rather raw patch deep in between one of Murph’s pads last night  ::) Wash with Savlon wound wash and Aloe Vera yeah?

kizkiznobite

is it at the base – on the pad itself or has he splayed it or got something stuck and worried at it

Erm, ooo how to explain it  ???

If you look at his pads it’s deep down the main big pad in the furry bit and iot looked all red and raw looking.  Couldn’t see anything yesterday morning when he was licking but on closer inspection that’s when I found it.  I need to trim his fur too.

kizkiznobite

is it the pad that is sore or the skin in between

*Nat*

Wow that is quite a list  ;D Good one Bev  🙂

Anonymous

If he has a lot of foot fur it may have grit caught in it or the fur could be too thick and there is not enough air getting up between the pad.

Mudgie
    Your new lass Elsa looks like a dog on a bad diet, she has that pink lip and eye look, think you will see a difference when she settles in herself and eats better food
    Val

[quote author=Jayne, Murphy & Spud link=topic=8727.msg156240#msg156240 date=1183990111]
    Erm, ooo how to explain it  ???

If you look at his pads it’s deep down the main big pad in the furry bit and iot looked all red and raw looking.  Couldn’t see anything yesterday morning when he was licking but on closer inspection that’s when I found it.  I need to trim his fur too.
    [/quote]

Great list – though I check Honeys eyes everyday – and clean them whenever needed –  ;D

She gets brushed two or three times a week -sometimes more, I just check everything as I brush  🙂

Mudgie

[quote author=Val link=topic=8727.msg156272#msg156272 date=1183994993]

Mudgie
    Your new lass Elsa looks like a dog on a bad diet, she has that pink lip and eye look, think you will see a difference when she settles in herself and eats better food
    Val

[/quote]

100% correct Val – she wont eat the old stuff now – eats around it  ;D

Anonymous

I do eyes and folds every day too

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=8727.msg156292#msg156292 date=1184001923]
    Great list – though I check Honeys eyes everyday – and clean them whenever needed –  ;D

She gets brushed two or three times a week -sometimes more, I just check everything as I brush  🙂
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

so do i with the clumbers – but this was the biggy check

loki belted for the door when the ear wash came out – think he is going to have the fur trimmed under the pads before long too – he enjoyed the willy check though  😀

quote :

is it the pad that is sore or the skin in between

the skin Bev.

Val may have a good point!!!  Just got home so will do paw fur trimming tomorrow night  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime