Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

right thats it!!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health right thats it!!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    GSPmad

RMBs are raw meaty\marrow bones.  🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=11869.msg248310#msg248310 date=1225481325]
    if i have missed any questions please remind me and i will try and answer ;D
    [/quote]

you haven’t missed it but – sorry i don’t have the energy to read the entire thread and it was about 8 pages last time.  😀 i am sure you said to me about 6 weeks ago that he seemed to be better and you never really knew what caused it. so is he better or is he not better?  ???

colitis is a symptom not a cause – the cause is whatever triggers the colitis and that’s the difficult thing to find and what you need to avoid – but i expect it has all already been covered?  :-*

dorain gets colitis – he can only eat nutro, purina or jwb out of dried dog foods that i have had him on (including chappie and burns). he can have marrow bones – they gave him horrendous colitis at first but he loved them so much i had to make sure he had his bones to gnaw on  ;D – he settled down with them as long as not too much at one sitting (he eats the weight bearing bones  😮 ). you could try the bones with marrow scraped out once tummy is all settled – sorry if that has already been suggested.

otherwise i have to confess i am completely lost with what is going on anyway.  :embarrass:

that ok i dont think i would even want to read back this post 😀

what happened was he got better as in not mega runs, blood, mucus. stools semi firm but not proper and not normal colour (sometimes).
    now he seems better as fine as in perfectly health as he was befor this all started, poops firm and normal coloure all time

we havent quite astablished what has caused it although there have been some speculations ;D

as for bones, he has had marrow bones all the way through this except for the first month, i think it was, he has had rib bones (lamb) every couple of weeks so im not sure if that would be the cause. the only reason i let stan continue with the marrows is because his teeth were nice and shiny ;D and because he doesnt walf them down (unlike dorain 😀 ;D ) he will chew them for about 2hrs then will leave them for another day

but i am realy confused as to why he has suddenly gone back to how he was before all this when nothing has changed recently :blindfold:

Dree

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=11869.msg247633#msg247633 date=1225216360]
    right on sunday he had a rack of lamb ribs for breaky then chappie and mixer for diner

monday morning goes out 6am for morning walk, poo fine (bone poo) i go out come home 1pm he breathing heavy and shaking so from past experiance i chuck him straight outside and he has semmy soft, covered in mucus. goes out for last walk at 6pm ish has poop covered in deep red blood, scared the cr@p out of me and had him at the vets first thing.
    vet has him on ABs for 2weeks then he his having a £500 blood test done were it will test for every known food allergy to K9s
    [/quote]

Kerry, this is what you wrote when this bout started.  If this was my dog, I would be suspecting the bones and taking them out of the equation for the moment.  IMO, he definitely needs an exclusion diet.  You already know that chicken and rice don’t work and neither does Chappie.  (I think I’ve read that right from Val’s post?)  So they’re out.  Very often, with an exclusion diet, I have found that you have to use a source of meat that the dog has not had before, such as turkey and a carb source such as potato.  You CANNOT just continue to feed Rmb’s and then shake your head when things go wrong.  Believe me, I’ve helped a lot of dogs with colitis, and it takes time and commitment to just ONE meat source and ONE carb source, and build from there.

Dree i have tried the exclusion diet with chick and mash right at the start (sorry if i forgot to mention in last post got a lot on) and stan dropped so much weight and condition that i dont want that to happen again.we have already ruled beef as a contriuting factor through the exclusion diet but there is opbviously something else setting him off
    he is not just eating bones he is on a complete diet aswell with bones every now and then

it takes time and commitment to just ONE meat source and ONE carb source, and build from there.
    i hope that you are not implying that i am not commited to sorting this out

Dree

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=11869.msg248427#msg248427 date=1225532563]
    Dree i have tried the exclusion diet with chick and mash right at the start (sorry if i forgot to mention in last post got a lot on) and stan dropped so much weight and condition that i dont want that to happen again.we have already ruled beef as a contriuting factor through the exclusion diet but there is opbviously something else setting him off
    he is not just eating bones he is on a complete diet aswell with bones every now and then

it takes time and commitment to just ONE meat source and ONE carb source, and build from there.
    i hope that you are not implying that i am not commited to sorting this out
    [/quote]

No, I’m not saying that at all.  I’ve read through the whole thread (yes, the whole thread!!  ;D) and you haven’t mentioned an exclusion diet.  I would be interested in how far you got with an exclusion diet…..you started with chicken and rice?  And he lost weight?  Then what did you do?  Go to a complete food?….which contained what?

blimy your brave reading the whole thread 😀 😀 ;D
    ok bare with me as i can barly rememer what happened last week 😀 ok right at the start  i put him onto a chick and rice diet only for a few weeks, he didnt get any better so after consolting with bev (kizkiznobite) i then put him onto a chick and mashed potatoe diet (as she said potatoes are good for loose stools and upset tums) he was on this for over a month i think (there abouts). at the start he weighed about 37kg after the first month or so of being on the exclusion diet (chick and potaoes) he lost most of his muscle tone, he had hollows in his shoulders and you could feel his bum bones, and he dropped weight to 30kg 😮 that was when i put him onto a complete biscuite diet (burns) however he gets bored with food so i had to add something different (chappie), end of august (i think) i changed him onto wainright bikkies as it was costing me to much keeping him on burns (he was eating loads due to his weight loss) and he has been on that ever since and is now back at 37kg.
    he has bikkies in the morning (2 scoops) with one tin of chappie in the evening, if i give him any more he wont eat it and will leave it.

i think ive answered everything :crazy: if i havent then just shout and will try and fill in ;D

Dree

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=11869.msg248531#msg248531 date=1225570461]

i think ive answered everything :crazy: if i havent then just shout and will try and fill in ;D
    [/quote]

Okay, forgive me for going over old ground.  (And this applies to Bev, Val and everyone else.  🙂  And also, everyone, please be assured that I am not trying to step on anyone’s toes….I, like everyone else, would just like to see this dog well.)  So…..am I right in saying that he seems to do okay on Chappie and the bikkies?  His relapse was when he came off the steroids + you gave him lamb bones…yes?  So….are the lamb bones the problem?  Or….could it be just lamb….if you have fed other bones?  Sorry for all the questions.  But sometimes going over old ground and answering “old” questions can bring up new answers.

Can you give me the website for the Burns food?  He was okay on Burns?  And the website for the Wainwright?  And he’s okay on that too?

Thanks for bearing with me.  🙂

Anonymous

wainrights is P@H own brand Dree – if you google them you’ll get them and burns 🙂

claire x

GSPmad

And if you go to the Burns site they actually have a free helpline I think where they give nutritional information and advice – if it is anything in particular you are trying to find out.

Anonymous

if its ingredients – theres nothing too awful in it but i will say it definately doesnt suit all dogs (if u looking for cost its approx £44/15kg).

it didnt suit bonnie (or dor if i remember) and i also know other dogs that have tried and failed.

claire x

Burns didnt suit Honey either.

I dunno feel like were missing something here with stan and i dont know what – wasnt he eating bones before ok Kerrie – or was he having problems then cant remember?

GSPmad

you remember right claire – gave dorain the worst colitis he’d ever had – not just dripping a few drops of blood, but all pink\red with blood and lots of it…. they are meant to be good quality foods though – just dorain’s guts didn’t think so.

Dree

[quote author=piglet link=topic=11869.msg248596#msg248596 date=1225578457]
    wainrights is P@H own brand Dree – if you google them you’ll get them and burns 🙂

claire x

[/quote]

Yes, thanks.  But I need to know which one was being fed….as in Lamb and Rice…or Pork and Potato, etc.  (Although they don’t give a lot of info anyway.)  I personally don’t like it.  I had it analysed years ago, and it was awful……but they could have changed the recipes. 

GSPmad

I thought Wainwrights was fairly recent – or maybe it’s just that they have changed the recipe?  ??? People say it is similar to JWB but cheaper.  :-\

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime