Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Right you lovely lot, we going natural

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Right you lovely lot, we going natural

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poop

nope must e the board elf 🙂

Anonymous

In that case it might have been the censor on my forum that i took the menu from. I’ll have to sort that out sharpish then. LOL

roflol mark!  😀

Mudgie

I get a lot of comments because of the amount of fruit and veg nacho eats – I use tomatoes and apple and carrot mainly for treats. 

I never feed him beef or pork – his tummy just doesnt like it  :-\  He gets mainly chicken and lamb – and he gets mash a couple of times a week too

as far as amounts are concerned I dont really measure anything other than how nacho looks = if he looks a bit chunky I cut down on the lamb if he looks a bit underweight I up it – once you have been doing it a while and see the incredible difference it makes to their wellbeing you will wonder why you ever took so long to be convinced  ;D 

Nothing gets nooch more excited than a raw bone  ;D 

OK I am doing the research at the moment but will be back with more questions.  Just a quick one for now, do you lot buy meat from those suppliers like Anglian Meat etc, or use the butcher?  I think we would prefer to go to the butcher for meat, I work round the corner from a local market so is dead handy.  Also do you lot freeze all meat before feeding, or just bones? Thankyou!

xtine

I buy it in bits from the butcher or supermarket cause we don’t have much freezer space. If I had a chest freezer i would buy it in bulk. I always freeze meat first, altho there have been occasions where I haven’t and he’s been fine. But I try to avoid doing that.

Thanks lovey, will do that and then defrost before feeding, am actually finding it interesting reafding, found some lakeland breeders online with bits and bobs of advice which is really good for us.  Only thing got me thinking is portion size and supplements so will give some thought.  Oh and Bev, love the porridge recipe and the others on your sticky, what sort of proportion cooked to raw do you recommend, is it like give porridge with raw meat or porridge morning, raw meal at night?  Just thinking about it we would happily give leftover cooked veg etc and meat scraps is this OK to give a mix of raw and cooked?

Anonymous

Loki has raw breakfast and cooked dinner  🙂

I freeze everything – unless I am cooking it….  I go to a really good butchers in Suffolk who give me lots of free bones, or to one of the many halal butchers around the corner from our house – a huge bag of chicken wings is £1.99  ;D

Post colitis we have been giving a very very bland diet, just don’t want to go on to Burns again whilst looking into a diet plan for him so I think tonight brown rice, veggie and cooked chicken and then get wings from the butchers for raw brekkie.  Do you guys think it is OK to try him on this stuff whilst still planning it, just seems like a more natural transition than back on Burns until I get food sorted out.  Don’t want him to miss out on anything this week whilst I am thinking about a diet plan.

xtine

I keep meaning to go in the halal butchers at the end of the road at school.. might do that when term starts again.. we haven’t got any nice butchers here that let us have lots of bones  :'(

Fritz has raw beef / lamb mince.. cooked chicken when i boil up a whole one

Anonymous

[quote author=xtine link=topic=12248.msg236906#msg236906 date=1219056698]
    I keep meaning to go in the halal butchers at the end of the road at school.. might do that when term starts again.. we haven’t got any nice butchers here that let us have lots of bones  :'(

Fritz has raw beef / lamb mince.. cooked chicken when i boil up a whole one
    [/quote]

The halal butchers might give you free bones  ;D  ours do – but I have to flirt with them a little  :-[

Nowdays they give me grief if I don’t come for a while saying that they were keeping bones for me  ::)

Angela – what do you mean by miss out? Do you mean nutritionally? I wouldn’t worry about that too much for one week, if he getting a variety of food? Obviously it is important… but If I don’t give Loki any offal, for example,  for 1 week he will still be ok – cos I know he will get it the next week and the week after – Bev or Val will know better then me – obviouly  ;D.

Thanks widget, Alex has the night off tonight I am going into town to try to get a copy of the BARF book and we’ll come up with a plan tonight, I guess that keeping an eye on his weight and his stools will give an idea of amounts we feed too, feels like a big step but I just know having read about terriers and skin problem that it is the right thin for Toby, especially this morning when he was waiting in the kitchen for brekkie, normally he just waits in his bed like a king, all waggy tail and dancing was so lovely to see!

Anonymous

I would not put him back on a complete that take 16 plus hours to go throught the body start as you mean to go on, as I said in an earlier post he won’t come to any harm, real food balances out over time not in a day
    Val

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=12248.msg236905#msg236905 date=1219056620]
    Post colitis we have been giving a very very bland diet, just don’t want to go on to Burns again whilst looking into a diet plan for him so I think tonight brown rice, veggie and cooked chicken and then get wings from the butchers for raw brekkie.  Do you guys think it is OK to try him on this stuff whilst still planning it, just seems like a more natural transition than back on Burns until I get food sorted out.  Don’t want him to miss out on anything this week whilst I am thinking about a diet plan.
    [/quote]

*Nat*

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=12248.msg236899#msg236899 date=1219054972]
    OK I am doing the research at the moment but will be back with more questions.  Just a quick one for now, do you lot buy meat from those suppliers like Anglian Meat etc, or use the butcher?  I think we would prefer to go to the butcher for meat, I work round the corner from a local market so is dead handy.  Also do you lot freeze all meat before feeding, or just bones? Thankyou!
    [/quote]

Angela have a look in your supermarket for the bags of frozen mince, Bev recommended it to me  🙂

Thanks Nat, that’s a really good idea, and Val, am convinced now this is the right way forward, I so want him to enjoy his food and have a healthy coat and teeth.  Am very much the kind of person that cares too much about what other people think, I figure I can persuade Alex and my mam to help me keep to this diet by just getting on with it, at first I was thinking I fear how judgemental the vets can be but with you lot on hand for advice I don’t think we can go far wrong.  Am very observant with Toby, he’s a huge part of the family so a careful balance should be acheivable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime