Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

rimadyl ‘just like morphine’

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health rimadyl ‘just like morphine’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    deebee

my boy max has come home after castration today and has started to whine. not licking or looking uncomfortable, so called the vet.

the injected pain killer he was given routinely was rimadyl and can cause mental upset. didnt know that they were going to give it and that it was like morphine.

told i can come in to get another, different pain reliever. yeah, right.

i am annoyed also that they said i really should have the recovery food and then said ‘you dont want it do you?’ when i looked at them funny.

can anyone suggest an alternative to rimadyl as it doesnt seem to suit him?

Izzie

Flush his system tonight goats milk in water

Poor Lad, hope he feels better soon.

deebee

booger, wish i had known they give it and i would have asked here sooner. goats milk in freezer ready when needed (after defrosting lol).

thanks izzie

deebee

errmm. do you know if you can dfrost it in the microwave? its 2 pints in a cardboard pack?

Izzie

Pour some hot water on it – you only need a little milk

He will be ok in the morning, let him sleep it off

Hugs to Max and you  :-* :-* :-*

deebee

ok, will do. he is sleeping it off. every now and then he has a whine fest, not loads, as if to himself. i am with him but not reacting. hard. it was a shame i had to get it done but thanks to bev she spotted the signs.

Mudgie

He will be fine in morning – when Nacho was done he was whiney a bit and walking like cowboy.  In morning he was usual tigger self. 

Rimadyl does more harm than good – they would have only changed it to metacam – same thing different name – stuff does more harm than good.  Body will adapt and do the necessary.  Just check on wound keep it clean. 

Pooch will be fine – dont pamper him or he will be whiney for weeks  ::)

deebee

well, this morning he struggled to do a poo, he didnt do one yesterday. he was ok till then hes whiney now. they also gave me some rimadyl for three days, but the pain cant be so bad, can it?
    theyre huge, ive never seen them before.

deebee

getting into his stride with the whining now, also the area is quite swollen size of a bantam egg but not as hard. they didnt tell me to expect any swelling though i would imagine its normal. i think if i call them theyll tell me to bring him in, again.

swelling is normal, beau was ready to go run when i picked up up, but sedative was still in his sytem, was very wobbly until a good 24 hrs after then he was fine…just keep an eye on stiches it is a common compliant that these can get embedded apparently, and my vet had the idea that they would use dissolving stiches so the stupid bint didn’t have to try and take them out (he a nervy boy but has NEVER tried to attack the vet or even barked and warned one) so after about 5 days they were irritating really bad, took him to my normal vet whole rolled him over and popped them out in 3 seconds and then all was fine.

Just keep an eye on him, you know whats normal for him  :yes: and give him a big  :-*

deebee

unfortunately, he jumped (sort of) int o the car before i could help him and i think thats whats on my mind. i didnt expect the whining as i havent rewarded for it, well, expected it last night but not this morning.
    they didnt tell me about whining or swelling though its pretty obvious that it would happen, but because they didnt, i worry thats its not usual! iyswim.

the stitches are dissolvable apparently and they want to see him friday to make sure all well.
    and yes, i know whats normal for him thats why i worried  :canadian:

im sure hes fine  :happy: thanks for the feedback everyone

oh bless they are pretty tough, beau jumped around all over the spot as far as he was concerned he was normal just wobbly and all was fine, so don’t panic too much  :-*

Mudgie

He has been cut open, had bits removed – I wouldnt imagine they are very subtle in the removing of them, so there will be brusing.  he will be sore – and feeling sorry for himself – he’s male – he will play on it – chill a bit hun – he will be fine  ;D

deebee

youre right mudgie, need to chill.

hes still moaning though *ducks quickly*.

Justine&Rafe

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory.  As herbal as most ppl try to be on here (with good reason – not trying to start an argument!), there is a time and a place when it can be appropriate.

It’s great for arthritis in elderly dogs – and I had Rafe on a course of it after his snip – because it was swollen and very bruised, and got a bit hard.  It helped him, I’m sure.  And was brilliant when one of my boss’s dogs had v painful ear problems – on metacam she was normal, as soon as we stopped whe just shrank into herself.

Just bear in mind if you are using any medicinal painkillers that you’ll need to be extra good about his diet, lots of pre and pro-biotics, as the metacam will wipe lots of those out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime