Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Ringcraft

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

hi and welcome  🙂

and why no sitting?

and what breed do you have  🙂

*Lassie*

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=10475.msg241366#msg241366 date=1221760784]
    hi and welcome  🙂

and why no sitting?

and what breed do you have  🙂
    [/quote]

In pet class the first thing they teach is sit to greet, the last thing you want a show dog to do in the ring is ………..sit

Izzie

So why not teach a show stand as well as a sit?

*Lassie*

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=10475.msg241382#msg241382 date=1221765842]

[/quote]

They do in ringcraft but a friend said most pups sit as soon as they see treats and that’s what they would do in puppy socializing classes 😉 it’s hard to unteach a pup, when you use treats as a lure in the show ring the last thing you want is a pup that sits just as the judge comes to it.

Anonymous

As Lassie say’s showdogs are first taught the stand for everything then they are taught to stop stand then to stand tidy then the down then the sit we don’t do flat bums  :ok:
    Val

Izzie

Ok thats understandable

So, why not teach the pup to stand then?

both my girls stand on cue -( depending on whether there is a vet behind them)

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=10475.msg241384#msg241384 date=1221766245]
    [quote author=Izzie link=topic=10475.msg241382#msg241382 date=1221765842]

[/quote]

They do in ringcraft but a friend said most pups sit as soon as they see treats and that’s what they would do in puppy socializing classes 😉 it’s hard to unteach a pup, when you use treats as a lure in the show ring the last thing you want is a pup that sits just as the judge comes to it.
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

She will teach the pup to stand BUT at puppy socializing classes they will teach the pup to sit which is an easier option.
    Willow NEVER stands when she can sit NEVER sits when she can lay down 😉

Izzie

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=10475.msg241394#msg241394 date=1221766732]
    She will teach the pup to stand BUT at puppy socializing classes they will teach the pup to sit which is an easier option.
    [/quote]

Sorry, am having a thick moment, why not teach both when the pup is in classical stage?  :-\ and then reinforce the stand?

*Lassie*

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=10475.msg241403#msg241403 date=1221767151]
    [/quote]

Sorry, am having a thick moment, why not teach both when the pup is in classical stage?  :-\ and then reinforce the stand?
    [/quote]

Pass on that one Val can explain better than me

.dodger.

i didn’t teach dodger to sit when he was a pup in hopes of showing him but because some people didn’t listen and kept asking him to sit everytime they went to give him a treat he got used to it. He had the stand on cue and yet not the sit but everytime i brought a treat out he would sit. Even when i had both the sit and stand on cue as soon as the clicker and treats came out he would sit and wait for his next cue. It was easier for him to sit and wait than to stand and wait if that makes any sense. 😀 ::)

Anonymous

Because pups will always sit for a treat, sit to look up to mum, they must stand in the showring.
    It’s not that we don’t teach a sit it’s just along way down the list, before we get to the sit a pup must first stand then be approached by stranger (judges) then felt all over learn to have someone look in the mouth if it’s a boy their nuts are felt and all this is in a stand without moving a toe this can take up to a year as pups always shift about but at least they are shifting in the stand.
    All my dogs know sit stand and down but if I offer them a treat they all stand and shuffle their feet into a showstand without being asked, infact after the stand I teach the down so that with beadies the classes are so big that I down them in the class better for the judge to see a dog in a down that an untidy stand if she/he judge was to cast an eye round the dogs waiting to be gone over
    Val
    [quote author=Izzie link=topic=10475.msg241403#msg241403 date=1221767151]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Izzie

Ok, ta Val.  🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime