Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Rip off Meds at the Vets!!!!

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Rip off Meds at the Vets!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    *Nat*

I’m stunned!!!  😮 Just found Advocate online for Sky for £14.36 for 3 pipettes or £25.89 for 6!! I paid £30 for 3 at the vets!!!!!!!! How do they get away with it  :boooo:

Will see if they give me a prescription without a charge  :-\

Val

They will charge Nat as the Goverment lifted the restrictions  :boooo: :boooo: :boooo:

*Nat*

Yeah its £8 odd!! Still work out cheaper though if I go for the 6 pack  :ok:

Val

Ask for a script to cover a year that way you can get more for your £8
    Val

*Nat*

Is it not like our prescriptions then? Can I use it more than once? Just can’t afford whole years worth in one go  :-\

Sweetypye

1 The main reason that it is more expensive via the vet is because, just as in the supermarket, bulk buys are cheaper.  Many vets do not keep a huge amount of items in stock.

2 Vets have to pay delivery charges and of course they have overheads which internet suppliers do not have, that is why shopping at Argos is cheaper than shopping at a store.

these are the facts of life.

3 Vets, like doctors, generally will not dispense more than 3 prescriptions without you seeing them.

4 prescriptions are not free

Diesel73
    quote :

2 Vets have to pay delivery charges and of course they have overheads which internet suppliers do not have, that is why shopping at Argos is cheaper than shopping at a store.

Not entirely true. Delivery charges are dropped when you order for a sertain amount. It’s always about the amount you’d spend when you order a normal delivery. That is so in all European countries. Also stores tend to have other brands than cheap supermarkets. (doesn’t mean they are better, but they are more expensive)

quote :

4 prescriptions are not free

Here vets have their own pharmacy. No prescription needed. Those meds without prescription are sold at human pharmacy.
    Prescriptions here are free about 50% of the time. It all depends on which vet you got infront of you.  :-X

But that info is com-plete-ly useless to you, Nat  :confused: .

Sweetypye

Drugs often have to be sent via special delivery if urgent (extra costs apply) and often insurance is required (this is not free), added to this couriers charge more than the postal service.

I work in the logistics business so I understand delivery charges very well!  😉

.dodger.

I second what you say sweetypye. I work in a vets so should know.

Prescriptions are not free. The last place i worked at charged £15.00. another charges £10

Most of the time a written prescription only lasts three months and no Nat they can only be used once i’m afraid. 🙁

Val

Drugs are also dropped off by reps some of them like flea stuff and worming pills even vaccination meds are given to the vets free as a lose leader for other orders lets not kid yourselfs the mark up is high on vet meds as it is on the food.
    Val

Diesel73

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=15469.msg277634#msg277634 date=1287401691]
    Drugs often have to be sent via special delivery if urgent (extra costs apply) and often insurance is required (this is not free), added to this couriers charge more than the postal service.

I work in the logistics business so I understand delivery charges very well!  😉
    [/quote]
    Than you were a very crappy delivery person or you worked for a crappy logistique business.
    I do NOT work in the logistic business. But logistic business deliver to ME. So i do know the drill when it comes to delivery SERVICE. And the rates.
    As far as it comes to medication that i need for humans or animals… They are deliverd -when ordered befor 2 pm- the same night between 5-6 pm at local pharmacy. NO additional costs.  😛

[quote author=Val link=topic=15469.msg277667#msg277667 date=1287677684]
    Drugs are also dropped off by reps some of them like flea stuff and worming pills even vaccination meds are given to the vets free as a lose leader for other orders lets not kid yourselfs the mark up is high on vet meds as it is on the food.
    Val
    [/quote]
    Here here. Like i said, it all depends which vet you got infront of you.  ::)

Sweetypye

Than you were a very crappy delivery person or you worked for a crappy logistique business.

I am constantly amazed at your ability to jump to conclusions Diesel, tell me is this the only exercise your body or mind ever gets?! :what:

I have never been a delivery person (crappy or otherwise) and I work for the world leader in logistics and am very good at my role.

You do not work or live in the UK in this area therefore your skills, knowledge not to say experience in this area is suspect to say the least.

However, as you rightly say that does not help the poster, my view is spend less time moaning about things and as a consumer shop where you get the best value and service, I know I always do.

It is easy to slag off vets, they are a sitting target but they, like us, work to make a living, not for the love of it.

but thank you so much once again Diesel for valuable insight into your personality, most revealing!  ;D

*Nat*

::)  ::)  ::)

Sweetypye I do wish you’d lighten up!!!  😉

Diesel73

So sorry Sweetypye, i’ve been a little occupied for the past 2 weeks, so i’m sorry for my late respons. But am aaaaall yours for the moment   :yes: .

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=15469.msg277680#msg277680 date=1287754594]

1-I am constantly amazed at your ability to jump to conclusions Diesel, tell me is this the only exercise your body or mind ever gets?! :what:

2-I have never been a delivery person (crappy or otherwise) and I work for the world leader in logistics and am very good at my role.

3-You do not work or live in the UK in this area therefore your skills, knowledge not to say experience in this area is suspect to say the least.

However, as you rightly say that does not help the poster, my view is spend less time moaning about things and as a consumer shop where you get the best value and service, I know I always do.

4-It is easy to slag off vets, they are a sitting target but they, like us, work to make a living, not for the love of it.

5-but thank you so much once again Diesel for valuable insight into your personality, most revealing!  ;D
    [/quote]
    2-You said you worked in logistics. Actual person that arrive’s at my door or the person behind the phone, or the big boss in his comfy seat, it don’t matter to me. They are all ‘delivery persons’ as they work for that firm. And who does what for that firm, i do not care about. They repressent that firm, it’s their problem to figure that out.
    Now, let’s read back you OWN last post, right where i added a ‘2’….See? You are one of the ‘deliverypersons’. As you said it a SECOND time.

3-Nope, i do not live in the UK, nope, i do not have delivery persons deliver to me IN the UK, but… are you a deliveryperson of ‘the world leading logistics’ or not??? Than you would know DHL, UPS and other delivery services that also deliver INTERNATIONAL do work simular all over the world
    Ratings might have slight changes but that’s as far as it goes. Or the majority of companies would just change their delivery service from one to another   ::).
    For a non-belgian person that you are, let me tell you this==> Belgium does not only use/buy/sell products that are made in our own country alone. Our products cost enough, we don’t need overprized deliveryfirms for im/export nor for national delivery. Companies changed from selfdelivering to deliveryfirms becaus they are CHEAPER. And are suppost to be more efficient. AND.. (am sorry for you, but this is really true) if the ordering party orders for a sertain amount than ordering fees are indeed dropped by the delivering party.  😛
    But if the delivery of medical supplies are thàt crappy in the UK i can give you a tip which we use here in Belgium==> medical supplies of any kind are NOT delivered with normal logistics. It’s a firm that works for delivering medical supplies. Much more focust, most more sufficient. Ordered by doc/vet/pharmacist befor  3 pm, delivered the same day between 5-6 pm. No extra charges to the meds….

4-working in a medical enviroment also brings along the weight of ‘knowing best’ and vets all to much abuse that weight for the sake of making money or getting benifits from major firms. Why else do the majority of vets lie through their teeth and recommend shitty dogfood when it contains up to 90% of wheat/rice/corn that isn’t even human-food fit?If they were thàt honest they would admit a canin is a CARNIVOR and not an omnivor or herbivor.
    Let alone they would admit, that yearly boosters are not that healthy either, and they would stop stuffing de-worming pills down our pets’ throats e-ve-ry single time they get the chance…
    In both cases, only a few vets will reveal the truth, but only after asking them directly the right questions.

Now, we all work to earn money, i’m no charityworker either, but if the sole purpus is making money, than it means you are in the wrong job, thàt’s what it means. Caus if your heart ain’t in it, than you might get to make it to be ‘sufficient’, but you will not be ‘good’ at it and most sertain you’ll nèver be the best.

5-You are vèry welcome, Sweetypye. And if there is anything, à-ny-thing at all, even the slightest little thing that you would like to know about my character, than just say so and i’ll do anything i can to help you out.

And final, my answer to your 1 question;
    ‘Jumping to conclusions’… I’m not jumping, am always just sitting down when i read the posts on the board.  😉
    I think however-but you are aaalways free to correct me if i’m wrong, ofcourse- you meant something else to say to me, but instead you cloked it like a Klingon, said some other words and than wrapped those up with a little ribbon, you naughty thing  :D.
    But thàt’s ok, D here is a big boy, you can deliver it to me straight!  😀 hahaha (it’s a little joke, you see, you being a delivery person that’s so good at her job… ‘you can deliver it to me straight’… hahaha, get it?  😀 )’
    But anyways, my answer to that question 1 of yours is;
    Oh my goodness, thank god no woman :surprise:. If thàt would be the case, than my life would be utterly boring and vèry sad. And if you would get to know me a little better, than you’d also know that ànything is better for Diesel than such kinds of eternal boredom  :'( (that’s also one of the reasons why i got Belgian sheps, because they are so lively and active  😀 ).
    But being the person that i am, and even though i’m very busy most of the times, i just can’t help lending a hand when someone goes wrong and help them out.  ;D
    But not to worry about me, Sweetypye, if you ever need my help at figuring something out, and i happen to be too busy, than i’ll tell you, ok? By all means, do not worry about it, cause i will tell you. Am not much of a shy type. But you already knew that i think, cause i guess that’s the reason why you like me so much too  :-*   😀 .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime