Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

RSPCA – educate me

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion RSPCA – educate me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

Okay excuse the ignorance but having had no experience of them I am totally in the dark.

So educate me …..  :educated:

Pros and Cons………..

Good question Mudgie, have often wondered what NSPCC do that social services do not but that’s another question for another day, will sit back with you and wait for the responses!

Izzie

They take on pure bred dogs and dont involve breed rescues, they make the dog disappear when the breeders try to get the dogs back.

They dont do as much as they should to educate the general public, they dont protect the animals they should protect and they neuture dogs as young as 12 weeks old- I know as a friend has a young dog who was neutured at 12 weeks.

They are more interested in statistics in helping and rehoming than doing what is right by the animal.

They are a waste of time, space and money IMO

Mudgie

okay izzie – with my assignment hat on  :educated: – what you basing your statements on – do you have any evidence to back it up.

They take on pure bred dogs and dont involve breed rescues – in every situation ? when I was rehoming the girls weimaraner rescue were very slow to respond, in fact by the time they had contacted me to do a house visit I had already secured their new home. 

they make the dog disappear when the breeders try to get the dogs back. what purpose would that serve?

They dont do as much as they should to educate the general public, does anyone – is this not a funding issue given that they are 100% charity funded. 

they dont protect the animals they should protect for example ?

and they neuture dogs as young as 12 weeks old- you got me on that one – however there are some vets with the same ignorant attitude regarding that.  ::) 

They are more interested in statistics in helping and rehoming than doing what is right by the animal. Elaborate please

They are a waste of time, space and money IMO so if they did nothing would it be better ?

So before we get into a discussion about this let me clarify I just want to know what peoples experiences are and why they have the opinion they have – I am not wanting to get into a heated debate – just want to learn more …  😉

kizkiznobite

sorry folks …got lots of personal aggro going off at moment…but am watching…when i can  🙂

ok RSPCA

they are a charity…like many the local offices are controlled by central funding…so what this does is mean the HQ set the codes of practice etc etc etc cos they hold the purse……in other words the RULES etc for the branches…so for example..if a local branch has a fund drive then it will be up to the HQ if monies raised can be kept at that local branch or not…if not it goes into the POOL …HQ determine H & S they determine vet treatment policy …they actually determine most of the organisation… this really buggers it up for the folks on the ground at local offices etc…their hands are tied basically….but…the downside in this day and age is…when push comes to shove and a situation occurs that is not written up in those codes of practice et al….then there is no one to take the biscuit…there is no one to say the buck stops here because the employees at HQ are all protecting their own backs….

also…in these charities that are run this way…there is in this day and age an employed staff…some years ago these charities ran on ‘twinset and pearls’ ladies…doctors wives, vicars wives, bored middle class folk…no more tho…now they salaried positions with pension and sickness plans etc …and the money for the job, company car, mobile, laptop, etc etc has to come from somewhere…and that somehwere is fundraising…ergo……….

been there done that got that t shirt…not an animal charity but…one run just the same way…

PS

you want to add voice…then attend an AGM…anyone can and anyone can request trading info….they a charity…anyone can add some  😉

kizkiznobite

go for it izz…on the case you was involved with that went to mods area….they can only sue and clumber rescue are there 😉

Mudgie

yes go for it izzie wizzie cos I am in the dark  :blindfold:

Izzie

There is a long post about this somewhere.

Mudgie I was on the front line with this one, the breder not getting the dog back- the refusal to allow CR to be involved whatsoever.

The neuturing- as I said have a friend who got a rescue pup at 8 weeks and was speyed by 4 months.

The RSPCA can try to sue me- But I have all the evidence as does Clumber rescue!

Will try and find thepost for you Mudgie.

Izzie

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10439.0.html

Enjoy the reading Mudgie!  😉

BTW it still p**** me off  >:( >:(

Izzie

they make the dog disappear when the breeders try to get the dogs back. what purpose would that serve?
    It doesnt the dog was still in the breeder’s name, they suddenly rehomed her the day she was ‘supposedly speyed’ they wouldnt have gotten their adoption money

They dont do as much as they should to educate the general public, does anyone – is this not a funding issue given that they are 100% charity funded.  No but its a cause that should be intiated by the RSPCA as they are one of the biggest animal charities

they dont protect the animals they should protect for example ? Rember the horses who were taken away as they were severly negleted? they were handed back to the owner

and they neuture dogs as young as 12 weeks old- you got me on that one – however there are some vets with the same ignorant attitude regarding that.  ::) 

They are more interested in statistics in helping and rehoming than doing what is right by the animal. Elaborate please They werent willing to work alongside Clumber rescue, they wanted to have that number- a single dog- the Rehomer and the kennels were annoyed because she attracted so much attention because of her breed and they claimed to me that they had 1500 phone calls within 48 hours. It would have been more beneficial to allow the breeder or the Onwer of the Sire or Clumber rescue to take her, because of her age, the state she was in- (underweight, distressed) and their knowledge of the breed- if she had been handed over she would have been looked after properly and gone to a knowledgable home

They are a waste of time, space and money IMO so if they did nothing would it be better ?Maybe, maybe another charity/organisation could step and do a better job- we wont know till it happens

So before we get into a discussion about this let me clarify I just want to know what peoples experiences are and why they have the opinion they have – I am not wanting to get into a heated debate – just want to learn more …   😉

Am not having a go at you at all, will make for an interesting thread!  😉

Anonymous

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=12455.msg240792#msg240792 date=1221568254]
    They take on pure bred dogs and dont involve breed rescues, they make the dog disappear when the breeders try to get the dogs back.

They dont do as much as they should to educate the general public, they dont protect the animals they should protect and they neuture dogs as young as 12 weeks old- I know as a friend has a young dog who was neutured at 12 weeks.

They are more interested in statistics in helping and rehoming than doing what is right by the animal.

They are a waste of time, space and money IMO
    [/quote]

Actually it is worse than 12 weeks they castrate @ 8 weeks of age upwards !

When a lady took a older GSDin to the local RSPCA some years ago, they did take in the strays from the LA. 6 days later when the lady rang to see if the dog had been claimed, she was told he was on the list to be PTS the next day as they wouldn’t be able to rehome him as he was too old, my father then went & bought the dog(no home check)for the requisite fee & took him into our rescue lady. The poor dog had wounds from an RTA he was involved in that had not been treated whilst he was @ the RSPCA-despite them having a vetinary clinic @ the home. The lady who found him left a fair amount of money for his treatment-which obviously was never spent on him.

The Local branch also took in some of the Gatheral’s Shetland Sheepdogs, including Ch Herds Hurdler-who had an eye infection @ the time. Miss Gatheral sent his drugs & eye drops into to the branch & when she went to visit her dogs that were there(accompanied by her Solicitor), they followed the manager into her office & heard the deputy manager tell the manager not to let her see Hurdler as his eyes were worse & they had lost the medication !!! Turned out that he had never had any treatment whilst he was there & was eventually rehomed to one of the RSPCA Officials, after the court case, despite lots of offers from true Sheltie people. This was the case with all the Gatherals dogs, the puppies were sold @ full “market”prices as were the adults(except for the ones the RSPCA officals took)

I was already a sceptic regarding the RSPCA & this simply added to all the wrong things they did in my eyes.

One of their senior animal collection officers was also convicted of cruelty to his own dogs(prosecution brought by the council & not the RSPCA), but continued to work for them until he retired !!!

Izzie
    kizkiznobite

bullet points

they had a clumber come in…owner was pratting about and had been for a while

they put dog to a contracted rescue centre…assessed as being suitable….

they advertised dog on rescue pages as a spayed female

they would not give up dog to clumber rescue…even tho we offered the rescue fee and costs to date

izz ‘pretended’ to be a member of interested public

they got wind of that

the contracted kennels were then allowed to ‘rehome’ for standard fee which the RSPCA condoned

even though izzie had her on a promise …even though she was collecting her…and…when push came to shove…she had not been spayed at the time the advertised her or when izzie had her booked….

the contracted out kennel got the fee…they also got costs form the RSPCA

the RSPCA….? well yeah right….no one to take the biscuit no one to make that decision…heyho…they all have to protect their jobs and cars and pensions and and and…..

RSPCA…yeah right…KC…well done…no loss…it will all come out in time…..in the meantime… stop donating…stop giving money to HQ…not enough of it is for animals in need….

kizkiznobite

and PS

yep i know we have passion and i know that passion drives us…well i know how it does me at any rate and many of you too…

she is cuberts daddy’s line…she is a sealumber…and i know that jan will say a prayer for her everynight because jan is a good and caring and careful breeder….i know jan was crawling up the walls on this….

RSPCA…yeah….right….GFY

Anonymous

This is very interesting as is this. & this & this for the horsey people

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime