Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

RSPCA’s new policy – they will KILL *ALL* wildlife that they receive !!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News RSPCA’s new policy – they will KILL *ALL* wildlife that they receive !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have received some very alarming news regarding the RSPCA’s decision NOT to treat any wildlife, Hedgehogs included

The RSPCA’s new policy ( because of lack of funds due to the credit crunch) is to euthanise ( KILL!!!) all wildlife taken to them or picked up by them

They will not pay for  any wildlife to be taken to a vet or wildlife rescue centre and inspectors & ACO ( Animal Collection Officers) have been told to kill all wildlife they get instead.  The Inspector or ACO has to get specific permission from the duty Chief Inspector for the region/group BEFORE considering any treatment or rescue/rehabilitation of any wildlife. This is all to do with saving money. The Chief Inspectors are instructing euthanasia for almost everything.

I am really worried  that RSPCA staff are being told to  kill sick, injured, orphaned hedgehogs and all other wildlife.  If they become ill, no matter how minor or easily treatable the illness or injury is, they will be automatically killed regardless, without even being fully or properly assessed. Even if just cold, hungry and underweight.  What about those just waking up from hibernation? They are all just thin and weak, nothing else wrong with them.

The big worry that I have, is that a member of public rings the RSPCA control centre. The call centre staff don’t know that a different policy is now in place. They take the call, pass it to an ACO or inspector. The inspector or ACO  report back to the Control Centre saying the call has been dealt with. The public won’t know that “dealt with” means euthanised, instead of taking the animal to a vet or wildlife hospital for care and attention.

I can understand that the RSPCA has financial problems. It is totally unacceptable to use Euthanasia because of a decrease in their funds.

We must all protest about this decision by the RSPCA.

It is now even more important to tell as many people as you can to feed and look after hedgehogs in their garden. We need to keep them healthy. Once they become ill, that is the end of it. They will not be  treated or saved any more.

Please spread the word, ask all your friends and family to support their local wildlife hospital and local carers.

Please do NOT ring RSPCA for wildlife. Contact your local carer or wildlife centre

There is a discussion topic http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk/index.php/topic,2671.0.html

Regards,
    The The Hedgehog Forums Team.

http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk/index.php

**Woofums**

That’s a bit contradictory…1st sentence..says they will not treat any wildlife.
    Further down it says officers have to get permission before treating wildlife.

Speaking for our area…wildlife goes either to Swan Lifeline or Les Stocker at Tiggywinkles.
    RTA’s go to the vets in the area, (my vet is always treating Deer, many are PTS as they go into shock so quickly)

Hi,

Basically, unless the specific officer/inspector really fight for the animal to be transported or treated it’ll be killed.  After implementation I would expect there will be pressure on staff not to call and just to pts.

Claire.

Sweetypye

This is what horse owners are being advised to do too.  Personally I think it is sensible, resources as I often say are not infinite.  Better a quick humane death than a long drawn out one.

One needs to be sensible rather than sentimental.

Hi,

I can see that – the part which I object to is that apparently public arent being made aware that “dealing with” may mean killing.  If they did, some people may make the choice to take the animal to a windlife centre (as we are lucky to have in northants) or to care for it themselves if they are able.

Its one of those moral difficulties I guess … increasingly rescues i know of are putting down the very costly dogs in order to save the healthier / more straight forward ones.  Times are tight and you just cant save everything  :'(

Claire.

Anonymous

[quote author=claire wills + bonnie link=topic=13974.msg264526#msg264526 date=1238074298]
    I have received some very alarming news regarding the RSPCA’s decision NOT to treat any wildlife, Hedgehogs included

The RSPCA’s new policy ( because of lack of funds due to the credit crunch) is to euthanise ( KILL!!!) all wildlife taken to them or picked up by them

They will not pay for  any wildlife to be taken to a vet or wildlife rescue centre and inspectors & ACO ( Animal Collection Officers) have been told to kill all wildlife they get instead.  The Inspector or ACO has to get specific permission from the duty Chief Inspector for the region/group BEFORE considering any treatment or rescue/rehabilitation of any wildlife. This is all to do with saving money. The Chief Inspectors are instructing euthanasia for almost everything.

I am really worried  that RSPCA staff are being told to  kill sick, injured, orphaned hedgehogs and all other wildlife.  If they become ill, no matter how minor or easily treatable the illness or injury is, they will be automatically killed regardless, without even being fully or properly assessed. Even if just cold, hungry and underweight.  What about those just waking up from hibernation? They are all just thin and weak, nothing else wrong with them.

The big worry that I have, is that a member of public rings the RSPCA control centre. The call centre staff don’t know that a different policy is now in place. They take the call, pass it to an ACO or inspector. The inspector or ACO  report back to the Control Centre saying the call has been dealt with. The public won’t know that “dealt with” means euthanised, instead of taking the animal to a vet or wildlife hospital for care and attention.

I can understand that the RSPCA has financial problems. It is totally unacceptable to use Euthanasia because of a decrease in their funds.

We must all protest about this decision by the RSPCA.

It is now even more important to tell as many people as you can to feed and look after hedgehogs in their garden. We need to keep them healthy. Once they become ill, that is the end of it. They will not be  treated or saved any more.

Please spread the word, ask all your friends and family to support their local wildlife hospital and local carers.

Please do NOT ring RSPCA for wildlife. Contact your local carer or wildlife centre

There is a discussion topic http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk/index.php/topic,2671.0.html

Regards,
    The The Hedgehog Forums Team.

http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk/index.php
    [/quote]thats awefull i love hedgehogs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime