Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

sea water, wet dog

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs sea water, wet dog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

stan has now decided that it is time for him to start swimming again, everytime we go down the beach he goes swimming in the sea 😀
    i know the sea if full of salt and variouse other bits and bobs :scared: so when stan goes swimming i ussualy wash him off when we get back, not a bath just rinsed with water to get the salt out of his coat. i was just wondering if anyone else did this and if it was a good idea to make sure he gets rinsed everytime he goes swimming or not

.dodger.

i never have so will be interesting to hear if i should be 😀

Well..i don’t ever rinse Izzy afterwards but after a couple of days of sea swimming, her coat goes dull and there’s a distinct difference in the feel of it.  I usually just take her to the river instead and that sorts it out  🙂

Diesel73

I do rince them under the shower.

But one of my bouvierboys had eczeem. I used to let him soak in the see and dry up completely until i rinced it off. Did wonders for his skin and no scratching after either.  😉

None of mine get rinsed off after a swim in the sea. They are in the water at least three times a week and I have never had any problems.

Same with dogs now gone Springers, Cockers & Labs, never had a problem.

Maybe it’s because they are in it so much that their body and fur gets used to it?

Steve

i only rinse him off because of the salt in the sea water but its interesting to see what other people do ;D

xtine

I would agree with Diesel.. the salt water is good for skin conditions… but I don’t have a dog that swims  ::)

*Lassie*

[quote author=xtine link=topic=13765.msg261494#msg261494 date=1235675202]
    I would agree with Diesel.. the salt water is good for skin conditions… but I don’t have a dog that swims  ::)
    [/quote]

I do  :yes: Willow has been in the sea, I didn’t rinse her off – her coat was fine.

Diesel73

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13765.msg261492#msg261492 date=1235673849]
    i only rinse him off because of the salt in the sea water but its interesting to see what other people do ;D
    [/quote]
    I do rinse them, but not because of what the salt could do to hair or skin, I do it because ……….  ::) good question, why do i? Salt water miracles for Thor. I used dead sea salt when to cold to go to the sea. But that you have to rince off. And so i still do that with these boys. Although i do not use dead sea salt on them  😛 .

*Lassie*

Dead sea salt is brilliant for skin problems :yes:
    But like you say it does need to be rinsed off.

see i thought that when they licked themselves after, that the sea salt would be bad for them and that was why i started rincing him off

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13765.msg261504#msg261504 date=1235682962]
    see i thought that when they licked themselves after, that the sea salt would be bad for them and that was why i started rincing him off
    [/quote]

Too much salt is bad for them but if they have dried off then most of the salt will drop out of the coat if you brush them

Justine&Rafe

Sea water is sooooo good for joints too – did you know they used to take “broken down” lame horses and get them to work in the mussel beds (I think that’s what it was!) in the shallows, where they’d be stood up to their knees in sea water pulling a cart all day.  After a few weeks they’d be COMPLETELY sound.

Just another bit of useless info for you!!

i didnt know about the mussle beds bit, very interesting ;D

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime