Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

seasons with male dogs?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs seasons with male dogs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    toppy

First time we have owned a male dog as most of you know!  Milly has been in season for 2 weeks now and puppydog hasn’t bothered with her….until yesterday, he keeps licking her backend and trying to mount her, I know nothing has happened as milly is always around my feet and when pup tries it on we tell him to go to bed!!
    Sleeping arrangements…puppydog sleeps in the kitchen and milly comes to bed with us, last night we were up and down all night as pup was continuously howling, he has never done this before, is it because milly is in season??  We were wondering if she should go to the mother in laws until her season has stopped, any help guys??

Thanks 🙂

*Lassie*

One of them needs to move out, she is ready and it will be driving him crazy not being able to do as nature intended.

Val

I can’t believe this the poor dog must be going nuts

toppy

Can’t believe what?? The fact they are in the house together?  This is why I came to ask on here! =/

CKSuki

Hi Toppy.

It’s great that you have an option to get Milly away to mum in laws.  I would get her off as soon as possible – best for both doggies and you too.

🙂

toppy

Thanks suki/lassie, she’s going to the MIL’s tonight but only for a few days as she is going away….. Have been and bought a child safety gate this afternoon and put it up at the kitchen door so they can’t get to each other, but milly has been in another room all day, she hasn’t bothered!

Diesel73

[quote author=toppy link=topic=15114.msg274958#msg274958 date=1270477586]
    Can’t believe what?? The fact they are in the house together?  This is why I came to ask on here! =/
    [/quote]
    I can’t believe it either because …..  ::) hmmm, how to put this….. ok, imagine being a 16 year old boy with no arms or legs and a HOT p..nstar doing her thing infront of you for daaaaaaays……. Get it? Thàt’s how he feels.

Not meant in a bad way, but if you keep a boydog near a bitch that’s in the mood than you àre putting a kind of stress on him that is beyond ….. what’s good for him.

He can smell it for miiiiiles away, and being thàt close to her… not good for his adrenaline level.

toppy

Thanks diesel, as I said in an earlier post a male dog to me is completely new, MIL can only have her for a week as she is going away!  But thanks for explaining, that’s all it took rather than a silly comment 🙂

Val

There is nothing silly about my comment  :ok: I can understand that you may not know the strain you are putting on his prostrate, but not to understand that a bitch in season is a big come on for a male dog and to have her in the same house must be driving him mad.
    Val

[quote author=toppy link=topic=15114.msg274965#msg274965 date=1270501653]
    Thanks diesel, as I said in an earlier post a male dog to me is completely new, MIL can only have her for a week as she is going away!  But thanks for explaining, that’s all it took rather than a silly comment 🙂
    [/quote]

toppy

Well it wasn’t very constructive for someone who is new to male dogs! But heyho!! Milly out the house now for a few days to a week, think she only got 1 n half to 2 weeks left 🙂

Diesel73

Nonono Toppy, you shouldn’t take it that bad.  😉
    Val does only girls, and i do only boys. This -what problem you had- it ex-act-ly why val only does girls and i boys. To avoid stress situations for the dogs themselves ànd us as owners. It is something a lot of dogowners don’t think about but it’s just as important as knowing a dog needs food. It IS something you could have known on forhand… BUT ANYWAYS  ::) ….. now you know. I had a bitch once, looong time ago. And 2 boys at the same time. Took a loooot of jugling dogs, specially due to the hardheaded but very awesome bitch. But it’s that part of her that i don’t do bitches no more and stick to ‘just boys’…. I’m not saying this to put down bitches or upgrade the male dogs or try to convince you of choosing between the sexes. It’s just my own experience.
    Doesn’t mean Sondra was a burden though, cause she was great… Just not twice a year for a few weeks. Understand what i’m trying to say?

toppy

Yea diesel, I get it! We didn’t intend to get a male dog, he’s an uncles dog we are keeping hold of until he gets back on his feet as he was being left here there and everywhere so it wasn’t fair on puppydog, if it was down to me this would be a animal female house only, pups ended up staying longer than planned anyway so I’m not quite sure if he will be going back yet?  Being practical, getting rid of milly twice a year for a month at a time isn’t easy so we might have to get her ‘done’
    Thanks again 🙂

CKSuki

I have boys and girls – but only because the boy came much later after all the girls ‘done’ and boy ‘done’ at earliest opportunity.  No breeding in my house, you see!

You live and learn, hey Toppy.

🙂

*Lassie*

[quote author=toppy link=topic=15114.msg274967#msg274967 date=1270575904]
    Well it wasn’t very constructive for someone who is new to male dogs! But heyho!! Milly out the house now for a few days to a week, think she only got 1 n half to 2 weeks left 🙂
    [/quote]

Not a new subject, found this dogs guide to the birds and bees

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14172.0.html

Val

If you are going to get one done I would suggest the boy as it’s a far easier operation to castrate a dog than it is to do a full hysterectomy on a bitch plus in your house the girlie has the long coat
    Val

[quote author=toppy link=topic=15114.msg274970#msg274970 date=1270589128]
    Yea diesel, I get it! We didn’t intend to get a male dog, he’s an uncles dog we are keeping hold of until he gets back on his feet as he was being left here there and everywhere so it wasn’t fair on puppydog, if it was down to me this would be a animal female house only, pups ended up staying longer than planned anyway so I’m not quite sure if he will be going back yet?  Being practical, getting rid of milly twice a year for a month at a time isn’t easy so we might have to get her ‘done’
    Thanks again 🙂
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime