Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Seaweed Kelp and Evening Primrose and a big appetite

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Seaweed Kelp and Evening Primrose and a big appetite

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    *jody*

Anyone give these as supplements?

Whisper has a bit of a case of flakey skin, vet says coat change and immature gland things (+ hormones) so was considering giving her the seaweed and oil.

Also, always hungry and looking for food (even after just being fed) perfect weight so nurse said to bulk out food with carrots / rice to fill her up without putting weight on.. does that sound okay?

Diesel73

I got no experience with kelp and the oil but as for always being hungry……. my youngest is like that too. He wolfs it down and never has enough. Will steal food and eat till it’s toooo much and most of it comes out again  ::) .
    My eldest always been a ‘slow’ eater, he enjoys his food more while though he is very food orientated aswell. But my youngest…..  :surprise:  I don’t bulk his food as his weight is perfect and since he is so food-obsessed==> treats work like magic in what ever situation we are in or what ever i want him to do  😉 .

Val

Kelp is fine (Good for pigment)but you could give spinach do not use carrots to bulk a diet as they contain sugar I used to add extra beans to Layla’s food give her more oil to help the coat.
    Val

*jody*

Thanks Val, glad I asked now.

Stupid question but what beans?  Cooked?  Raw? etc

Spinich just as good as seaweed then, again cooked or raw?  Chopped up finely over food?  She is on JWB turkey and rice with chicken wings/thighs a couple of time a week to help teeth.

Sweetypye

Caveat

Kelp not to be given to dogs with thyroid issues
    EPO not to be given to dogs with epilepsy

Spinach should be given sparingly because it can be an issue re bladder stones traditionally good for skin issues.

I give Dorwest herbs kelp tablets.  Izzy’s 4 now and she doesn’t have one grey hair, i’ve seen black labs more than half her age who have started greying  :scared:  The japanese eat tonnes of kelp and rarely go grey because of it.

When she moults, she gets scurfy skin and on bevs advice i give her half a zinc tablet and up her fruit intake, sorts it out in no time!  🙂

Val

Cut green beans in a tin make sure they are just beans with no salt

Anonymous

This has been quite helpful, my boys have quite itchy skin right now and I’m worried they’re not getting the right balance of nutrients… possibly because people keep scaring me by saying raw feeding isn’t the best… *sigh*. I will try some of these ideas.  🙂

Diesel73
    quote :

I give Dorwest herbs kelp tablets.  Izzy’s 4 now and she doesn’t have one grey hair, i’ve seen black labs more than half her age who have started greying    The japanese eat tonnes of kelp and rarely go grey because of it.

Raw fish + seaweetsheets + and some rice makes….. ‘dog sushi’  😉 . And with some wasabi for master too  :whistle: .  😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime