Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

sedatives / anxiety / stress medication

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health sedatives / anxiety / stress medication

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

hi,

i was wondering if anyone has experience of valerian working for their dog – did you give the tablets or liquid, did it help and how long did it take it to have an effect ?

also has anyone used ZYLKENE ??  my vets reccommend it for things like going into kennels and fireworks etc … wondered if it had worked and what situation etc ..?

or anything else you’d reccommend (medication / alternative medicine) to keep a dog chilled for 2-3 hours weekdays ?

claire x

Izzie

I use valarian on both my two and any stressed fosters that come in

Works wonders on the girls

On the latest foster it took 24hrs and a mix of Valerian and changing of foods.

Usually give it in a bit of bread and they wolf it down  🙂

Anonymous

Hi,

Do you use the pills or liquid izzie?  and if tablets how many – i am giving wills 5 do you think upping it to 6 would make a difference i dont want to give him too much ?  (he is roughly 15kgs give or take a kg).

With the girls how long do you find it takes to work and how long for ?  What sort of things would you give it for ?  Do you use anything else aswell at the time (DAP? RR? …) or is it just valerian ?

Sorry for all the questions but I was wondering if I was not giving it long enough to work – do you give it everyday / a few days before/after / just on the day ..? 

Claire x

Have given Honey liquid valerian at fireworks time is the ONLY thing that makes an difference, she is seriously stressed at firework time  🙂

Anonymous

hi suz,

at what point do you give it and how long does it take to calm her ?  does she still show distress as i am sure i remember you saying something about her hiding in the bath ??

wills used to suffer terribly but since we got bonnie (and stopped re-inforcing it) “aww poor doggie are you all worried” hehe 😉 he is virtually 100% with just all lights on in house, TV etc… all on apart from them ones that go weeeeeeeeeeeh real high pitched he barks at them lol !!

the tablets dont seem to do anything nor does dap or leavin radio on or any of that stuff which works for normal dogs lol !!

claire x

p.s. i got 2 xmas cards and a pressie from misty today 🙂 

Weve tried everything re the fireworks – she just way too noise phobic. But first tie I tried it gave the dose as the fireowrks were happening she did calm quite quick – cannot remember what i give Izzie will know  :embarrass:

Izzie

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13318.msg255803#msg255803 date=1230149204]
    Hi,

Do you use the pills or liquid izzie?  and if tablets how many – i am giving wills 5 do you think upping it to 6 would make a difference i dont want to give him too much ?  (he is roughly 15kgs give or take a kg).

With the girls how long do you find it takes to work and how long for ?  What sort of things would you give it for ?  Do you use anything else aswell at the time (DAP? RR? …) or is it just valerian ?

Sorry for all the questions but I was wondering if I was not giving it long enough to work – do you give it everyday / a few days before/after / just on the day ..? 

Claire x
    [/quote]

With my two I give 1ml liquid Valarian (they are between 21-20K)
    With Manic Blake, when he first came I gave him 1ml liquid and rescue remedy straight in the mouth, plus RR in water bowl, did the DAP spray  for one night in the immediate area, plus on him and that didnt really help so stuck with Valarian and RR.

After a few days he was quite settled, I still give him valarian and RR at night as he is a light chaser – even the ceiling lights, so that he is chilled for the evening.

Suz it was 1ml morning and evening  😉

Claire RR is now in a night form for helping to sleep too- this has helped blake settle at night 🙂

Anonymous

Hi,

DAP seems an odd one – it worked well with Misty in just a few hours but it doesnt seem to have any effect on either of my two (spray or plugins) ?!  I guess the only thing I can say is that Misty was just so misplaced being shoved from here to there she needed stability whereas manic / stressed dogs maybe need the calming before the DAP shows an effect I dunno !?

I’ll get some liquid then and see if thats different for him, worth a go as i not keen on vets suggestion or proper drugs for such an old dog especially one the vet is saying is in tip top health – seems mad to risk that with poss. side effects from sedation ?

could have done with that RR night thing for Sammie she was a singer at night !!  cant say i miss her lol!!!

claire x

p.s. can you believe uni set an essay on depression for a depressed person at xmas !!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime