Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Seriously worrying roblem to sort out…

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Seriously worrying roblem to sort out…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Crafty1980

Hi there,

Despite me saying that yesterday everything was going well, I’ve started notice a problem that I want to try and nip in the bud now before it gets annoying (and dangerous!)

Izzy has suddenly started getting excited about vehicles driving past when we go on walks down the road! She did it last night and again this morning. Never interested in them before but, for some reason, she’s now obsessed with trying to run after them! I’ve tried to make her sit when I can hear a vehicle approaching (and she does) but, as soon as it either wizzes passed or she starts to hear it, she didn’t want to know about anything other than the car! Is this just a puppy thing or has a lifelong obsession with car chasing started to develop?!? and what’s the best way to tackle it!?

xtine

Kiz will be your woman for that.. she will need to know what happens in detail.. what does she do / you do.. what do you say… etc.. try PMing her in case the board elf is messing up posts  🙂

Anonymous

i’d go with “could well develop into obsession”

better keep this bumped aswell 🙂

definately bumping this – someone will help im sure, especially Bev  :-*

*Nat*

Definately something that will need sorting – Bev is very busy at the moment so bear with her, I’m sure she’ll get to you eventually  🙂

wags

go sit in a pub garden near a road for several hours – get very pi**ed – dog gets very bored of cars

and its all good fun  ;D

Anonymous

tbh – this is so common i wouldnt be suprised if theres something on the board already ?

Crafty1980

[quote author=wags link=topic=12198.msg235503#msg235503 date=1218218168]

Go sit in a pub garden near a road for several hours – get very pi**ed – dog gets very bored of cars…
    …and its all good fun  ;D

[/quote]

SIMPLY GENIUS!

wags

its how i got Brock not scared of busses and Oban a little less intrested in anything moving

im glad someone finally recognises that i am actually a genius  ;D

*Lassie*

go sit in a pub garden near a road for several hours – get very pi**ed – dog gets very bored of cars

and its all good fun  ;D
    [/quote]

Had to do this with Tam, he’s a car chaser. It did help but he does still forget himself when the roads are wet ::) then I have to get him to focus on me

wags

when i first got Brock he was terrified of vehicals – when i was walking him on the roads i sandwiched him between Cleo and Meg (OMG something Megs never been scared off) which also helped a bit BUT sitting outside the pub helped a lot he soon realised there was nothing to be scared off – he still has a “little” issues with huge lorrys and big busses but to be fair if i was that small and one of them flew past me i would have a bit of an issue with it to – his reaction isnt anything to worry about just a bit “uhhhhhhh whats that”

Oban on the other hand is an out and out car chaser – actually if it moves its for chasing in Obans book – on the lead he doesnt eye or anything now – and im dead proud of that because hes such a hard nosed little git that i wasnt to sure how to deal with it
    BUT off lead is proving so much harder to crack – to be honest i dont put him in a situation where its an issue – hes not off lead where there may be potential cars (sensible anyway) and really i dont let him off lead where there may be bikes either (again sensible ?) SO i dont put him in any off lead situations that might cause an issue – maybe im just taking the easy route but hey hoe im all for making life simple  😉

*Nick*

and its all good fun  ;D
    [/quote]

y’know, this does sound like a good idea to me..on many levels  😉

Sadie didn’t have a problem with cars but she was fascinated with bicycles…so we went up to the local school and just hung out as the bikes were zipping by….after the second ‘session’ and about half hour in total she’s now really bored with them and a bike can whizz right by her on a trail and she doesn’t even look up anymore

now joggers are another story…she hates them…she gets that from me  😉

kizkiznobite

yep…ok ..de sensitizing is certainly a start…but hang on a minute…this is not a herder…this is a gunner and as such is outside expected behaviour

so in MHO there has been a trigger..an environmental trigger

so need more info…when and how did this start…exactly if just the slightest interest…what she like in the car with moving traffic around…either when you moving or others are and you parked up and what have you done said do say….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime